Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suki88 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2006, 06:42 PM
    crown problems-i miss potato chips!
    I had a tooth prepared for a crown one month ago without a root canal. The temporary crown was painful when biting and very sensitive to hot, cold , and sweet. I saw my dentist twice after the temp was placed and she checked the bite and took another x-ray. She said there was not problem except for an irritated nerve.
    One week ago my gold crown was ready so she placed in on the tooth using the temp cement. She said I should go back to see her in two weeks. Now.. the sensitivity to hot, cold and sweet is almost gone but I still have the same zinging pain when I chew on things like potato chips or cookies.. Also if I press on the outside of the tooth with my finger, I get the same sensation. I consulted another dentist who checked the bite and the fit and found nothing wrong. The other dentist recommended that I wait before getting a root canal... I am frustrated by all of this. I worry that the original mold for the crown was no good.
    The pain when I bite has not really changed from day one and no one can tell me why I should believe that it will. Did anyone out there ever have biting pain that went away?? Does this sort of zinging biting pain ever really just disappear?
    I feel annoyed that I have to wait another week if I really need a root canal but I don't want a root canal unless it's absolutely necessary! UGH! Has anyone else had this problem?? Thanks for listening!
    Suki
    extreme42583 Posts: 53, Reputation: 3

Feb 7, 2006, 05:54 AM
    Yes, I had the same problem. You have instant pain and then it goes away after you eat.. right? Well 2 problems...
    1. Tooth is loose and moving the nerve when you eat.
    2. If you do not want to wait and see if it will go away then a root canal will have to be done.
    Good Luck
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2006, 06:39 AM
    Hi, Suki,
    I have had just about every tooth problem there is, in my lifetime so far. Now, at age 64, finally have dentures, without having to go through all the dentists anymore.
    It does appear that you might need a root canal, if it doesn't stop hurting, say in a month.
    Root canals aren't bad at all (I have had many), if you use Nitrous Oxide gas.
    Laughing gas is available with many dentists. They simply put a "nose piece" over your nose, and for about 15 mintues, increase the amount of oxygen and Nitrous until you feel comfortable. It relaxes the nerves in the teeth, and relaxes you to the point that you won't care if a Tornado goes by! It simply relieves the pain, and you won't know what is going on.
    After finishing, you are back to your original "self" after about 10 mintues.
    Ask your Dentist about it. It was the only way I could have my teeth worked on for many years!
    suki88 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2006, 08:47 PM
    Hello again.. thanks for your input.. I actually had a root canal this morning.. it wasn't so bad and at least now the dentist can cement the crown on permanently and I know I've done all I can! Thanks again.
    Suki

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Problems with gums after crown placement [ 32 Answers ]

Hello, I am wondering if anyone can help me with this question: I am currently undergoing a crown placement. About 10 days after the temporary crown was fitted, my gums became very inflamed and sore. I went back to the dentist and he took the temp off, cleaned the area (again) to verify that there...

Chocolate chips [ 11 Answers ]

Does any one know of a way to keep chocolate chip candy from melting? Need to take it to a pot luck. There is no frig. Sunduster

Crown problems [ 7 Answers ]

I have got two rootcanals. One 4 weeks ago the other a couple months. Both were prepared four weeks ago and a temporary crowns were placed on. A week and half ago the permanent crown was placed on one side the other side did not fit. Now I have a problem with the bite I can't get my teeth aligned...

Potato diet [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, One of my cousins, now 20 year old, has been eating only rice and potatoes since he is a 5 year old boy. Though he would snack in anything, the main meal is always rice + potatoes. He will not eat anything else. His parents gave up trying to convince him. I tried to explain him that it will...

Potato [ 1 Answers ]

I had a really long post here - but my PC locked up, so I'll give the short version (which I'm sure you're grateful for): Microwave oven seems to trip circuit breaker ONLY when nuking a potato. (And, no, I'm not leaving a fork in the potato or anything.) I remember doing an experiment in grade...

View more questions Search