Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastorjohn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2008, 07:59 PM
    Word Use: Mission vs. Missions
    Please help me- I'm surrounded by people who say, "I'm going on a missions trip", and I believe that it's grammatically incorrect. I'm just not sure how to explain why it's wrong. Isn't the word "missions" the plural form of the word "mission".

Anything you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

PJ
    supriya _82 Posts: 241, Reputation: 24

Mar 27, 2008, 08:36 PM
    Not if it is meant to be "mission's".
    pastorjohn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2008, 05:32 AM
    No, it is not the possessive form of the word. I'm talking about the phrase "missions trip" as in a singular event experienced by a group of people when they travel to a location to participate in an outreach. I believe it correct to say "mission trip". But why? Or why not?
    supriya _82 Posts: 241, Reputation: 24

Mar 28, 2008, 06:00 AM
    Sorry my mistake. Well it is as you say mission trip would be the right word to use for an individual going himself. BUT I guess when somebody is referring to a trip under the auspices of the various Missions one could refer to it as a Missions trip in the third person i.e. Missions for youth. And I gues the missions then would be spelt with a capital "M" (Missions).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No More Missions for GTA San Andreas [ 17 Answers ]

My BF has been playing GTA San Andreas and has done all missions in Los Santos and has moved to the missions in San Fierro... he has completed all missions in San Fierro except for the one's for Zero. He's completed all the missions needed for the landing strip.. this gave him access to Los...

A man on a mission [ 2 Answers ]

A seaching for me found me and said that my father had past away a year an a half ago and was searching for me. He gave me lots of leads and told me to search and that I would find lots of good things. How do I start what do I do is this man a joke I had not seen my dad in 25 years

Perfect Dark mission [ 2 Answers ]

I have a copy of perfect dark for my nintendo 64 but I an not play missions when I enter it WHY?

What to do now?mission to get him back [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all... This forum has always helped me since my boyfriend of three years left me. Well just a recap. My boyfriend left me after 3 years and we were actually supposed to get married. This happened in Decemeber. He told me we fought too much and he didn't think that we were right for one...

View more questions Search