Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    psychman09 Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2008, 06:44 PM
    1GB RAM and 40 GB Hard Drive is it enough?
    I have recently made a layaway purchase of a Dell laptop 1420 14.1in. I can make upgades to it if needed but I am not sure whether I need to. It is for personal home use and for college. I plan to have music, pictures, and obviously documents stored on it. I am not a gamer. However I do like it to be quick, but doesn't need to be super fast. Only those who truly know computers respond. Please help!!

What the computer has...

1.73 GHz Processor

1 GB RAM

40 GB Hard Drive

Internal 56K modem
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 27, 2008, 07:57 PM
    What OS will you be running? What model processor?

Mar 27, 2008, 11:27 PM
    Thank you for your response. First, what do you mean by OS? And I believe the CPU that will be preinstalled is a Intel Core 2 Duo. Please respond again. Any thoughts are helpful.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2008, 11:30 PM
    OS means operating system...

Windows xp... ME... vista..
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2008, 11:32 PM
    At those specs, I strongly doubt you're running vista.

If you're running xp, then overall, it looks OK... however if you're planning to use it for the next 4 years in college, you may want to upgrade your ram and hard drive space.

I would suggest upping your ram to about 2 gb and perhaps just getting an external hd.

Mar 27, 2008, 11:35 PM
    Thank you again. It will be operating under Windows Vista Home. And as far as college goes, I use a junk drive for most of my documents and other files.

Mar 28, 2008, 06:42 AM
    Hmm a 40G drive is very small by today's standards. And 1G of RAM is entry level for Vista. If you are planning on storing music on it, I would bump up the drive to at least 80G. Most retail laptops today start with 160G drives. Hard drive storage is relatively cheap these days.

I assuming you mean Jump drive also knowns as Thumb drive, Flash drive or USB drive. If you don't want to bump up the hard drive, you can get an external drive of 80G or more that's very portable.

Mar 28, 2008, 09:40 AM
    I made a call today based on some research I did myself lastnight and am not going to be running vista as of right now and will be running XP. I may opt to upgrade the hard drive later as well as the ram. But due to the fact the company that I am making the purchase from charges a fair amount for the upgrades on both the RAM and Hard Drive I will most likely do it myself later. Is this fairly easy to do? And or can I take it to computer store to have this done?

UPDATE ON WHAT IS BEING RUN...

Intel Celeron (not the Intel Duo 2)

1 GB RAM

40 GB Hard Drive

Will this be sufficient for now?
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Mar 28, 2008, 09:55 AM
    I run vista with 1gb of ram it's not to bad but I would recommend a larger hard drive to upgrade to even one twice as big shouldn't be that much money so I think that would well worth it

Mar 28, 2008, 10:03 AM
    Ahh that makes a lot more sense. I was surprised anyone would put Vista on a 40G machine. Frankly I would NOT recommend that machine. The Celeron processor is a very low end single core processor. It will not give good battery life and you can't upgrade the processor. I would definitely NOT recommend running Vista on a Celeron. And adding more RAM would be somewhat of a waste.
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2008, 10:17 AM
    I agree that adding ram would be somewhat of a waste, but it never hurt... and it doesn't cost too much.

Installing ram is very easy... just the ram slot on your laptop and then just insert ram.

Mar 28, 2008, 07:24 PM
    Why would adding RAM be some what of a waste?

Mar 28, 2008, 07:49 PM
    Because a Celeron is such a low power chip

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace existing hard drive with upgrade to larger hard drive? [ 6 Answers ]

How do you replace existing hard drive for a larger one and how to save info on existing device?

Cd drive problems/hard drive [ 4 Answers ]

I'm using windows xp pro I've got a lite-on combo cd drive :E Basically I tried 2 fix my e drive because it wasn't reading cds (on dvds) and I think I put a virus on my computer When I tried 2 restart it came up with something like.. Windows cannot start up properly due to a recent...

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Hard drive [ 1 Answers ]

How to convert NTFS to FAT32 without losing data.

View more questions Search