Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    patmegsmom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2006, 05:20 PM
    Child support
    Hello,

My husband has been divorced for 19 years, his kids are 25,23 and 21. His divorce agreement (Massachusetts) states that he pays Child support until the youngest turns 18 or is emancipated and that the support shall continue for any child not having attained the age of 22, residing with the mother and solely dependent on her for support. The youngest graduates from college in May 2006 and turns 22 in Aug 2006. When she graduates from college is she considered emancipated? He doesn't know when the Child support is suppose to stop - when she graduates or when she turns 22. A lot of our friends say it should stop when she graduates. He also doesn't know what to do to stop the support - does he just stop paying or does he have to get a court order? We can't go to a lawyer because we don't have the money. We have two kids - ages 13 & 14. Thanks

Lisa
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2006, 08:22 PM
    Lisa,

According to what you have written…

Quote Originally Posted by patmegsmom
    His divorce agreement (Massachusetts) states that he pays Child support until the youngest turns 18 or is emancipated and that the support shall continue for any child not having attained the age of 22, residing with the mother and soley dependent on her for support.
    The 21 yr old. Where is he/she living? Is the 21 yr old living with mother?

If the 21 yr old is NOT residing with the mother AND/OR NOT solely dependent on her for support, then you no longer have to pay child support.

You can just stop paying. The mother knows what the decree says. So by Aug 2006 for sure. But if the 21 yr old isn't dependent on the mother, then you don't even have to pay now.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 6, 2006, 08:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by patmegsmom
    Hello,

My husband has been divorced for 19 years, his kids are 25,23 and 21. His divorce agreement (Massachusetts) states that he pays Child support until the youngest turns 18 or is emancipated and that the support shall continue for any child not having attained the age of 22, residing with the mother and soley dependent on her for support. The youngest graduates from college in May 2006 and turns 22 in Aug 2006. When she graduates from college is she considered emancipated? He doesn't know when the Child support is suppose to stop - when she graduates or when she turns 22. A lot of our friends say it should stop when she graduates. He also doesn't know what to do to stop the support - does he just stop paying or does he have to get a court order? We can't go to a lawyer because we don't have the money. We have two kids - ages 13 & 14. Thanks

Lisa

Ok, your choices, without an attorney, stop paying and see if she files for non payment and takes you back to court, Even if you hire an attorney at this point and he says you don't have to pay, if the exwife thinks you do, she can take you back to court.

Ok, no emancipated is what happens if a child under age normaly 18 sues to be free from parental authority, this did not happen to any of the children.

As long as the 21 year old was in college he had to pay, now once she graduates, if she moves back in with MOM you will have to continue to pay, if she moves into her own place, you don't have to. That is my opinioni,

But remember even if this was what was meant years ago, all that matters if one party does not believe it to be so, they can also take the other back to court.

So even if you had 10 lawyers saying you don't have to pay, if she takes you to court over it, you will have to have those lawyers in court.

Give you my opinion, if It was me, when the child graduated, if she did not move in with mom, I would stop paying,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support for child out of wedlock [ 8 Answers ]

My friend has been dating a man who is a millionaire(really) for two years. He is married and has two kids with wife. He has been financially supporting her all this time. Her role was to be available to jet set the world with him at a moments notice and of course look good and sleep with him. ...

Child support [ 15 Answers ]

Could someone please explain to me what child support is to be used for

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child Support [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, my husband has 2 kids from a previous marriage, we pay child support on time, which is 30% of my husbands net income. However his ex earns a lot more than he does and has a lot less financial responsibilities compared to us as she lives for free with her parents who take care of everything. We...

Child support? [ 9 Answers ]

I have had this question on my mind for a while now, so I thought I would ask it and hope someone here knows the answer. Hypothetically, lets say I got this random girl at a party pregnant. Let’s say I have no interest in being a father. Could I sign away all my rights as a father and...

View more questions Search