Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    donberry Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2008, 08:51 AM
    New pressure tank not filling with water
    I installed a new submersible pump and a new 80 gallon pressure tank. Checked the pump out before hooking everything up and seems to be working fine. Hooked up the new pressure tank using the T with the pressure gauge on the left(facing the tank) and a pressure gauge on the right in the 1/4 inch holes. Also put on a drain valve(spigot) and a pressure relief valve.

All seemed well so I turned on the pressure relief valve with the spigot turned on to release any air. After nothing but water was coming out, I closed the spigot. Pressure gauge started to immediately climb, got to 50 psi and cut out as it is supposed to - problem is, the tank is not filling with water.
    Checked the air pressure in the tank and it was at 40, where the pressure switch is a 30-50. So I released air out of the tank until it was around 28. Same thing. The pump kicks on and runs for a little bit, but it does not seem as though any water is going into the pressure tank itself.
    I am going to use the well for irrigation and bought a big tank so it would not cycle on as much, hopefully making my pump last longer. I figured the pump would kick on, the tank would fill, then the pressure would build. Seems the pressure is building without filling the tank.
    What am I doing that is stupid ?
    ANY help appreciate as I have wayyyy too much invested in this and would like to get it going before the usual summer drought.
    Thanks ahead of time
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2008, 06:25 PM
    I am assuming you installed the PRV and faucet somewhere on the line coming to or away from the tank as opposed to on the tank itself. I only ask because opening the faucet would release air from the line but not from the tank.

You have set the tank pressure correctly at 28#.

When you first install a bladder tank, it is filled with air above and below the bladder. The air below the bladder will eventually dissolve into the water and the tank will then have more water in it than now. The main thing I would look at is this: How much water can you get between pump cycles? I would think that an 80 gallon tank would be able to give at least 10 or 12 gallons. I imagine the literature with the tank will tell you that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water pressure against tank height and tank water capacity [ 5 Answers ]

Normally the head pressure of water is .433 pounds per foot of head. Is there any change in pressure by changing the tank water capacity. e.g. if two tanks of 50ft height having water capacity of one is 10,000 gallons and other one has 20,000 gallons. What will be the water pressure difference...

Cold water tank continuously filling [ 3 Answers ]

Please help.. The water tank is continuously filling... however, Its not overflowing. As a result I have no hot water. A friend has looked at the tank in the attic, and has said that water is continuously entering the tank, and therefore there must be a leek in the pipes. There is no sign of...

Water tank not filling up [ 3 Answers ]

Today, we changed our kitchen sink. We drained the system, connected new taps,sink. Put water back on - first time ever no leaks. So off for a bath! We have no hot water.Having connected the cold valve on the washing machine to the valve on the hot water tap etc. we had a small amount of hot water...

New hot water tank installed, loss of water pressure [ 1 Answers ]

After the installation of a new hot water tank, we have less pressure which is only noticeable when trying to fill the tub. Any ideas? Thank you.

Filling the radiators + high pressure in hot water system... => ? [ 6 Answers ]

Okay, new house to my wife and I... we've had it less than a month and two days ago it was time to turn the heat on. This is an old hot water system, no pump (works by gravity) in a three story house. The radiator in the master bathroom wasn't full, so I tried to bleed it. Just a little air...

View more questions Search