Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    larry93 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2008, 03:35 AM
    US citizen living overseas paying US state taxes
    I am a US citizen residing permanently the UK(my last US residence was NJ in 1997). I do, however, occasionally earn income in the US, as a self-employed musician. This year, I worked in NY for 2 months, and KY for 5 days. I received 1099-MISC for both jobs(ie no state or federal taxes were witheld), and am filing a federal tax return, as required by US law for all US citizens regardless of their residence. However, do I also need to file any state returns, either in NY, KY, or NJ?

Thanks
    L
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 2, 2008, 01:31 PM
    Probably for NY, but NOT for NJ (you are no longer a NJ resident) or KY (not enough money earned).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

S corporation paying state taxes in two states [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My partner and I have an S corporation set up in Illinois. He is permanently moving to Iowa. We work as independent contractors on various projects--his mainly in Iowa. As an S corporation, we are employees of the corporation and pay ourselves wages every month. How do we handle paying the...

Paying ga. State income taxes on income earned in another state [ 1 Answers ]

I earned money working in Texas, which does not have a state income tax, however I discovered when I filed my taxes I was being assesed taxes on income I did not earn in Georgia, I don't know the law, but I feel this is unfair.

State taxes for US Citizens overseas [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a US citizen, Georgia resident, who recently migrated to Australia. I receive a US military retiree pension with no other income. My wife is an Australian citizen with US permanent residency. She has 6 months of 2006 income in Georgia as a RN and 4 months in Australia. Are we required...

Living in China state taxes [ 3 Answers ]

I will be living in China for most of the year, the rest of the year I will stay with my family in Pennsylvania. I am retiring from the school system and they want me to file state tax. When I go what do I do about Georgia state taxes from my retirement? Do I have to pay state taxes in Georgia if...

Living overseas and not working [ 2 Answers ]

So I lived in the UK from Dec 2001 till March of this year. I know I filed taxes for the tax year of the year I moved. But since then I have not worked, and there for not filed taxes, as my accountant mother instructed me to do. Now I have married a Brit and we are in the process of applying for...

View more questions Search