Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    don_k Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2006, 01:57 PM
    Extending utility sink drain for bar sink
    I have a utility sink in my walk-out basement - that sink's 1.5 inch drain connection is approx. 18" above the floor, into a two inch horizontal run. This 2 inch horizontal PVC runs about 3 feet, then connects to a main 3" DWV. I would like to add a bar sink, set into a standard height (36") countertop, into this basement area. The stub-out for this sink would be about 8 feet from the utility sink drain connection point (further away from the main DWV stack).

Two questions - 1) Considering a 1/4'-per-foot fall on this new 8 foot extension, my stub-out for the new bar sink will be at about 20" above finished floor. Is this low enough? And 2) Can I simply install a 2x1.5x1.5 "T" at the utility sink stub-out and extend 1.5 inch pipe eight feet to accomplish this - without adding another vent line connection?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 7, 2006, 08:43 AM
    Hey Don,
    "Two questions - 1) Considering a 1/4'-per-foot fall on this new 8 foot extension, my stub-out for the new bar sink will be at about 20" above finished floor. Is this low enough? And 2) Can I simply install a 2x1.5x1.5 "T" at the utility sink stub-out and extend 1.5 inch pipe eight feet to accomplish this - without adding another vent line connection?
    (1) It would be a little tight but still doable. Figure about a 8" drop from the 36" countertop leaves 28" from the floor. At 20" to the center of the stubout to the floor leaves you 8" of "wiggle room".
    (2) Nice try but no cigar! The farthest you may extend a 1 1/2" drain line from trap to vent is 3 1/2'. At 8' out you'll have to revent back into the utility sinks vent. Good luck, Tom
    don_k Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2006, 08:56 AM
    Thanks for the response, speedball. Hopefully that "wiggle room" will give me enough space for the drain connection. Sad to hear about the revent, though... more work for me - but I'll do it right to forego future problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen Sink/Laundry Sink Drain Vent Non-exist [ 3 Answers ]

The set-up from kitchen sink leading down to drain to basement: 1. Kitchen sink - (R side) - connected to a P drain I think you call it -PVC-, connected to a "metal" T, which has a Studer vent gizmo attached to the top of it, then draining into a metal pipe straight down to the drain in the...

Removing utility sink [ 1 Answers ]

I will be removing a utility sink and cabinet and will not be replacing it. My question revolves around the drain coming out from the wall.The water lines have shut off valves which will remain in place in case the utility sink were to be needed at a later time so they are not the issue. Can I...

Washing Machine backiong up into utility sink [ 6 Answers ]

:( Hi there! When we bought our house 3 years ago, I noticed that the sink would fill up with water when ever our washing machine drained... I just thought it was normal. :p But now I guess the clog has gotten so bad that yesterday when I did laundry the sink over flowed! :eek: The sink has...

Adding a utility sink [ 1 Answers ]

I am planning on adding a utility sink to my laundry room, I was planning on tapping into the water lines and drain to the washer. I have not opened up the wall yet so I don't know the exact configuration of the drain, but my question is if I run the sink drain of off the drain from the washer...

Installing Utility Sink in Basement Laundry [ 3 Answers ]

I want to install a utility sink in my basement laundry. Can I hook the drain into the Stand Pipe for the washer? Or, do I have to hook it into one of the other main waste stacks that drop from the main floor above?

View more questions Search