Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2006, 01:37 PM
    The spelling of words
    Hello.

Here is something that has been on my mind these last few days. I was hoping someone who knew this could be of assistance.

In Canada/UK, we spell it colour. The Americans spell it color.

In Canada, we spell it centre. The Americans spell it center.

In Canada, we spell it cheque. The Americans spell it check.

How do people from the UK spell it? Cheque or check? (Used in a sentence: I cashed my pay cheque today).

Thanks.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2006, 06:17 AM
    Seems UK and Canada both typically use "cheque".

Found interesting info 'bout it here and here.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2006, 06:33 AM
    Hi,
    Good links by rickj, showing many, many different wordings and spellings from all over the World.
    Spelling, as well as pronunciation, depends on the particular culture, and society in general. It is derived from the particular country, being used over and over for centuries, becoming the "standard".
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2006, 07:16 AM
    Interesting links, Rick! From the first site, I spell the vast majority of my words like the British. And I thought a lot of the American equivalents were spelling mistakes LOL.
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Feb 7, 2006, 01:08 PM
    The UK and Canada spell very alike because they have a very rich European history... Alot of English words come from French, Spanish and German Latin etc- English is one of the worlds hardest languages to learn because a lot of things are said different from the way there spelt, and a word can have the same meaning but be spelt different depending on how its meant.

In Canada, we spell it cheque. The Americans spell it check.
    In the UK you would use both of the above. We would say Cheque as a Cheque that you would issue on your bank account to pay for goods etc.

We would use Check, as I went next door to Check the lights where switched off.
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2006, 02:24 PM
    Great links Rick. Thanks.

So cheque is the Bristish way.

And I'm with you on the spelling orange, I thot some of those American words were spelt wrong!! I spell most of my words the British way as well.

Quote Originally Posted by nwsflash
    In the UK you would use both of the above. We would say Cheque as a Cheque that you would issue on your bank account to pay for goods ect.

We would use Check, as I went next door to Check the lights where switched off.

That is the same here in Canada as well.
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2006, 03:30 PM
    Australia is another British colony like Canada, so my guess is they follow similar suit to the British system.
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Feb 7, 2006, 03:44 PM
    I guess the English language is ever growing and changes all the time. I know in the UK that there are always new words been added to the Oxford Dictionary, with new meanings and a new take on the language...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chinese letters spelling out the name Terahare [ 2 Answers ]

Hi could anyone please help with this. I would like to know the chinese spelling of this name Terahare thanks

In 5 Words or less: What are you? [ 145 Answers ]

I'm just curious. I know a few of you but not many. I'm not looking for debate or comment, just wondering... Me: Ecumenical Evangelical Roman Catholic Christian

Words of wisdom... [ 4 Answers ]

When I was 15yrs in 1999, a song was release called 'Sunscreen'. At the time it did not really mean much to me or have much of an impact. I heard it for the first time since 1999 last night and the words had so much of an impact on me I just had to share it with you guys. It bought tears to my...

Words in the Bible [ 4 Answers ]

There are roughly 177,00 words in the King James Version of the Bible. Of these words 12,000 of them differ from each other.. Given that, according to linguists, a normally educated person uses a vocabulary that has about 5,000 words and a well-educated person knows about 10,000 words, it could...

Misused words [ 9 Answers ]

When is it appropriate to correct someone who uses words incorrectly, or not words at all, like regardless? For example, what if someone says, "Wow, it's so random to see you here" at a bar that you both often go to in your neighborhood. That's not what random means. Or should I sit idly by...

View more questions Search