Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jan powers Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2008, 06:16 PM
    3 way bulbs
    :rolleyes: what wattage do you get when you put a 3 way bulb in a one way socket
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2008, 06:18 PM
    Whatever the max is on the bulb.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 26, 2008, 06:42 PM
    You get what ever the middle wattage is. A 50/100/150 bulb will give you 100 watts in a regular bulb holder. There are two filaments in the bulb, 50 and 100. On the low setting you connect to the filament of lower wattage (50 watts). When you switch to the middle setting, you are connected to the higher wattage filament (100 watt). When you switch to the high setting you are connected to both filaments and get the total wattage (150) . Usually the high wattage is the center terminal of the bulb and therefore is the only filament that can make contact in a regular bulb holder. That is also why the low wattage is always the first to go. You are using the lower wattage filament on the lowest setting and on the highest setting, therefore it sees more use, usually, than the higher wattage filament.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The cost for 1500 watt MH bulbs and Multitap ballast for MH bulbs [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know the cost of installation for 1500 watt MH bulbs and Multitap ballast for MH bulbs. Materiall cost will be beneficial. Barbara Ivory

Bulbs keep failing [ 4 Answers ]

Hey guys. I have a living room fire that is a blow heater with low and high settings and a flame effect that automatically comes on when the heater is on. In the past the light which is a Fireglow bulb(60w painted red) went off so I initially thought it had blew but when I lightly tapped the...

Light bulbs [ 1 Answers ]

What does T I P O mean in light bulbs

Light Bulbs [ 3 Answers ]

It seems as though recently that our light bulbs keep going out... what might be the cause of this?? Just in the last 2 days we've had 3 light bulbs go out. (they have all been changed in the last couple of months!)

View more questions Search