Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dragnlady5 Posts: 88, Reputation: 4

Mar 26, 2008, 05:54 PM
    Son has started cussing
    My 13 yr old has decided it is OK for him to cuss. He wants to be a good Christain but (and I understand his thinking) that cuss words are just that, WORDS. Someone somewhere decided hey that is a bad word and you shouldn't use it. Ok I can agree with that but for him to show himself as a good christain he shouldn't use these words. Somewhere in the bible I believe it talks about not letting trash come out of your mouth. In the same area it tells us to not be gloutens and to not let harmful items into our bodies. Does anyone know where this is so I can show it to him?
    Moparbyfar Posts: 262, Reputation: 49

Mar 26, 2008, 08:21 PM
    Col 3:8

Titus 3:2

Eph 4:29,31,32

James 1:21

I would also show him Luke 10:27 which shows him how he CAN please God and receive the reward of everlasting life.

All the best Dragonlady ;)

Mar 27, 2008, 05:36 AM
    Ty
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 27, 2008, 05:59 PM
    And it is a matter that we should not be a stumbling block to others with our actions, When he curses no one in society will take him seroius as a Christian, he will lose his witness to others. And will not easily be accepted by other christians as one.

Mar 27, 2008, 07:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    And it is a matter that we should not be a stumbling block to others with our actions, When he curses no one in society will take him seroius as a Christian, he will lose his witness to others. And will not easily be accepted by other christians as one.
    Yes I explained that to him. I also gave him an example of someone walking down the road stubs their toe and he hears them say... "Oh dang that hurts." then a few moments later someone else stubs their toe and he hears "dammit who put that F*$&^#% thing there?" Which one will he think is the Christain. He said the first one after he got done laughing at me. I had him read the scriptures though and I think they helped. He now knows it is in the bible at least.
    TY both for you Help
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Mar 28, 2008, 04:27 PM
    Good for you DL because you CARE how your son grows up. There are so many parents today who just can't be bothered by what their children are saying, going, or doing.
    Onan Posts: 55, Reputation: 4

Mar 28, 2008, 11:52 PM
    I used to think that I wouldn't care if my kids cursed because they are only words.

That changed quickly as they got older. The first time I heard them repete a bad word they heard from me that was it. It only took one time hearing it from them to make me realise this is something I didn't want anyone else hearing from them. It's not just a christian thing, I have quit cussing myself just so my kids wouldn't be looked down on for using that kind of language.

I have to say though you really won't find much in the Bible against it. From what I remember growing up in the church those scriptures posted above were always used in sermons against gossip, not cursing.

If it becomes a real problem for you remember the dove... lol... I remember quite a few mouth washings when I was a kid. Thankfully I haven't had to take that road with my kids yet.

Mar 29, 2008, 05:12 AM
    If it becomes a real problem for you remember the dove...
    Shoot that is child abuse anymore you will be arrested for trying to poison the kid.

Here is what those passages given me say.

Colossians 3:8
    But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips (it says straight up filthy laungage)

Ephesians 4:29-32

29Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. 30And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

James 1:21

21Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.
    Moparbyfar Posts: 262, Reputation: 49

Mar 30, 2008, 03:48 AM
    Anyway, getting to the subject at hand, this is what language expert James V. OConnor says about cussing -
    "People who swear often tend to be disagreeable, critical, cynical, angry, argumentative, and unhappy complainers." On the other hand those who don't swear "are often calm,...mature people who can deal with daily annoyances."
    Jesus said in Luke 6:45 "Your words show what is in your heart."

So what is behind the swearing? Does your son want to feel tough so people won't push him around? If so, he needs to learn self confidence and recognise his OWN strengths. Tell him to take pride in being an individual and find other healthy ways to express himself, that it's not just a case of biting his tongue but involves putting on "the new personality" required by all christians mentioned in Eph 4:22,24.
    If you'd like more scriptures on helping to avoid abusive language I'll be happy to oblige but I feel this bombardment of info is enough for now lol. :)
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 30, 2008, 07:56 AM
    The weird part about raising kids, they imitate what they see when young, as they watch what we as parents do, and then get together with friends and imitate them to fit in, (peer pressure)and as they grow they follow their own path (hopefully), but they one day see what you as a parent have been telling them all along as they gain experiences. Just keep teaching them the right things, whether they appear to be getting it or not. That's what my mom said, when I was complaining about her grandkids.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2008, 08:09 AM
    Well, I personally think that we are raising a generation of "test takers", and "time-outers". Meaning that the youth today do not retain information as much as they should, they simply remember it long enough to get through the test on Friday, and BOOM, its gone by Saturday. And the whole idea of doing away with "corporal punishment", (a.k.a. "sparing the rod"), has led to many of the problems we are seeing today. Do the best you can with the correction of his cussing, it is probably peer driven. Work with him, set him down, and have a good 'ole heart to heart with him and explain to him that the cussing will not be tolerated, without compliance, there will be other consequences.

Mar 30, 2008, 01:22 PM
    Oh yes. My kids are between 15-7 6 of them. A lot of Mom's things are coming to light. And as far as "spare the rod". My kids know what a good old fashioned spanking is.
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2008, 12:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lobrobster
    I don't think the bible is clear on cursing in general, but it is very clear on what to do if your child starts cursing AT you....

Of course, you must stone him to death!
    My Bible says that those who curse father and mother are committing a mortal sin:

Matthew 15
    4 Honour thy father and mother: And: He that shall curse father or mother, let him die the death.

Mark 7
    10 For Moses said: Honour thy father and thy mother; and He that shall curse father or mother, dying let him die.

Exodus 21
    17 He that curseth his father, or mother, shall die the death.

Leviticus 20
    9 He that curseth his father, or mother, dying let him die: he hath cursed his father, and mother, let his blood be upon him.

Proverbs 20
    20 He that curseth his father, and mother, his lamp shall be put out in the midst of darkness.

Douay-Rheims Bible / Search

A mortal sin is one which leads to the death of the soul.

1 John 5
    16 He that knoweth his brother to sin a sin which is not to death, let him ask, and life shall be given to him, who sinneth not to death. There is a sin unto death: for that I say not that any man ask.

But if you can show me from your Bible, I'll try to explain the meaning in Christian terms.

Sincerely,

De Maria

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I evict my son, girlfriend, and son from my home? [ 3 Answers ]

My wife and I currently have my son, girfriend and son living at our house. He is a recovering drug addict who still causes us trouble. He argues with us, me especially,and beats me up. Two weeks after open heart surgery, he threw me into a wall by pushing me in the chest. Just recently while I was...

FIL cussing and degrading using front of our kids [ 1 Answers ]

this may take a while , but I want to paint an unbias picture. met wife in college. Parents married and she was oldest of 4 kids... 11 year gap b/n wife and next sibling. Dw never met any g parents, they all died early on. Mother is a cat hoarder (spelling). She has around 80 cats. I am a...

How can adopt my wife's son (my step son) [ 3 Answers ]

My wife's ex husband doesn't really take care of his son. He doesn't call or anything. The only thing that we get is approximately $45 every 2-3 weeks but that amount varies. I on the other hand have been providing everything for my wife's son even before we got married since her son was about 3...

Just started. [ 2 Answers ]

Me and my girlfriend have been going out for about a week now. We have shown a real connection between each other since the day we met. I am in year 8 and she is in year 7 and lately I've had to do a few assignments and other tasks and I haven't been able to spend that much time with her. Should I...

How do I get started? [ 3 Answers ]

I want to get a job as an exterminator or pest control in Pa. Does anyone know what I should do first? I don't have any experience. Thanks

View more questions Search