Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2008, 04:20 PM
    Gap between counter and wall
    Hi, I just recently had granite countertops installed. I decided to tile the backsplash on my own. I was advised that I wouldn't need a backerboard since it's such a small area. I'm using 1X1" tiles and only planning to extend it 4-6" up the wall. I've used silicone kitchen caulk to seal the areas where the countertop butts against the wall... However, one wall has a gap of ~3/8". So it's just barely too wide to be able to fill it with the silicone. So what's the best way for me to proceed and fill in the space. I'm almost sure if I go with the backerboard it'd fill the space, but why do that if I don't need that step otherwise?? I'm so ready to get on with my project that I almost want to cram paper towels in the gap and put silicone over it! Not seriously, but what should I do so I can finish up my kitchen?:confused:
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Mar 26, 2008, 09:34 PM
    Who measured & installed the granite countertop? You would have spent thousands of dollars, and it has not been done right. 3/8" is an unacceptable gap - call them back and have them fix it.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 26, 2008, 10:11 PM
    Well, I wouldn't go that far rtw.
    It's almost a certainty that the wall is not straight. A granite counter top is not going to be scribed to fit the wall. The remedy for this is to straighten the wall.

Nikosmom,
    If you are going to tile up the cabinets such that you do not have problem finishing the top edge, why not install the backer board. That's the easiest way to straighten the wall. If however you will have any of the top edge exposed you will have a problem finishing that edge. If you are not tiling up to the upper cabinets or any of the top edge of the tiles are going to be exposed the best way is to straighten the wall by filling the low areas with drywall joint compound. This is not that difficult but does require some skill. You can get the wall straight by filling in the low area with the joint compound and striking it off with a straight edge. The skill will come into play up above the area that is to be tiled. You must then begin to taper or feather it out to meet existing surface such that it is not noticeable to the eye. This can be done by applying multiple thin coats and sanding. The joint compound then must be painted with at least two coats of paint to seal it.

If you tile it with out straightening the wall its going to show in the tile.
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2008, 10:13 PM
    RTW, I've heard that a gap that size is very common when dealing with granite or other natural stones because it is installed in one single piece. If it fit exactly then there wouldn't be any "wiggle" room to fit the stone into the space. 1/4"- 3/8" is not a gaping hole. Just big enough that I wanted to know the best way to seal it. Oh yeah, there is not way to "fix" a granite slab.
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2008, 10:22 PM
    Thanks Harold; it wasn't just me that thought that response was a little out there, lol. **just poking fun, RTW** I'm not going to tile up to the cabinets. I'm only going 4-6 inches up the wall; basically the same height as the previous laminate backsplash. The wall is level, it was the space where the countertop ends just before meeting the wall that was my concern. See, I opted to get flat countertops with no backsplash at all. So it's not that things aren't level, I just wanted to make sure I was careful in dealing with this space. Want to make sure I'm going everything right just like you pros!
    the1unv Posts: 285, Reputation: 31

Mar 27, 2008, 04:32 AM
    Well I somewhat agree with RTW. I know that granite tops do not always fit perfect to the wall, however It is the responsibility of the installer to seal around it. NIKOSMOM should not have to be trying to do this herself. I have never and would never install ANY type of counter top and not seal ALL the edges before I collected a check. RTW is correct in saying the installers never did their job.

Now if you have to do it yourself I would simply put some 3/8" rod stock in the bigger gaps and seal them. I would use a 1/4" hardi-backer behind the tile and then use a tile-to-wall transition tile around the edges. That would make a nice flow into your wall and hide the hardi-backer with no problems.
    Mike
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Mar 27, 2008, 10:02 AM
    Thanks the 1unv.

They should have realized that the wall was out when they came to measure - and it should have been dealt with then. However, hindsight is 20/20.

Of course they can fix it. They won't want to replace it but one easy fix is to have them give you a matching granite backsplash. The 3/4" will more than cover the gap. They may have other suggestions too.

The average cost of kitchen granite on the work we've done has been $6000. Mind you, we've done large kitchens. For that price I am not willing to accept anything less than perfection. You shouldn't either.
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2008, 04:01 PM
    All right, RTW and Mike, I'm calling now to see what they can do. I've heard that a small space is common but if you say it's unacceptable then I'm going to listen to you since you obviously deal with this more than me! :o Boy, oh boy, this backsplash thing is turning into a headache... I'll let u know what the resolution is.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 27, 2008, 09:02 PM
    Nik, I think most of us do not appreciate getting bad rating and guys saying LOL and just poking fun. We are here trying to help folks who do not know what to do. What RTW means by "fix" is to correct the error. Granite is cut following a template made on site and it will follow slight variations, usually to within 1/16" Your granite guy screwed up and should be responsible for rectifying (fix) the problem. If I were you I'd shoot for a free granite backsplash to cover their error.
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2008, 05:30 PM
    I gave the answer a bad rating for a reason... if you notice he didn't clarify his meaning of "fix" until (not including my responses) 3 responses down. It wasn't a bad rating to HIM specifically, the rating was to the RESPONSE. That's what the option states it is for- to rate the RESPONSE, not the USER. Once RTW clarified what he was suggesting, I acknowledged that I would look into that possibility (of receiving a free backsplash). I also acknowleged that he [more than likely] has more expertise than me. However, if you only read his response (before reading the ones after), it DIDN'T make sense. I am aware of the meaning of "fix", which is why the intention in the answer was initially unclear. There was no way that a novice (again, acknowledging my level of expertise- or lack thereof) would have deduced that he meant to call asking for a backsplash. I poked fun in a later post, so that it was understood that [again] I was not rating HIM, but the RESPONSE.

Not NIK, it's nikosmom. You probably should read things more thoroughly.
    tileguy17 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2008, 09:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Nik, I think most of us do not appreciate getting bad rating and guys saying LOL and just poking fun. We are here trying to help folks who do not know what to do. What RTW means by "fix" is to correct the error. Granite is cut following a template made on site and it will follow slight variations, usually to within 1/16" Your granite guy screwed up and should be responsible for rectifying (fix) the problem. If I were you I'd shoot for a free granite backsplash to cover their error.
    AMEN!. 6" granite splash will take care of the gap

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Running in wall Coaxial Cable from Existing wall [ 7 Answers ]

Hi there, Is there someone here who is expert on electrical? I need help on running coaxial cable to my existing walls. I have a 1st floor where I have access to drilling holes into the second floor. I am willing to cut open holes for installing the single gang boxes. Now, here are my...

How to support a load bearing wall, need engineer, cement wall [ 3 Answers ]

I want to remove about 6 feet from an interior wall. The rafters run parallel with the wall but the reason I think it's load-bearing is because one of the trusses rests on the middle of the wall with a lateral x across it. I have existing pictures and a drawing of "the existing" and what is...

Wall counter space [ 1 Answers ]

What is considered to be counter wall space according to the NEC?

Gap between subfloor and wall [ 2 Answers ]

have a gap (1/2 inch) between new sub floor and 2x4 wall: Need to fill before completing the flooring

Installing half wall in load bearing wall [ 3 Answers ]

We are attempting to make our kitchen open concept with our living/dining room by creating either a half wall or putting in a window (what is the correct name for that?) The wall is load bearing. Do we need a permit for that type of reno? What would be a realistic budget to set aside for that...

View more questions Search