Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomsblue Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2008, 02:18 PM
    Mechanics liens and liens against property
    I lent my son in law $10,000 to put down payment on a home about a year and a half ago
    My question is how do I put a lien on the house and which state do I do it in . I'm in Calif.
    And the house is isn't Arizona. And do I just record it with the county or court or what?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2008, 04:04 PM
    You will have to sue your SIL before you can attach a lien.

If you have signed documents and can prove the debt, this should not be a problem.

Once you obtain your judgment, then you can proceed in your efforts to collect it.

Good Luck.
    tomsblue Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2008, 04:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsblue
    I lent my son in law $10,000 to put down payment on a home about a year and a half ago
    my question is how do I put a lien on the house and which state do i do it in . I'm in Calif.
    and the house is isn Arizona. and do I just record it with the county or court or what?
    I have the signed note. But I was wondering if I had to record it. I did the same thing;borrowed from my mother in law, to have a down payment for a house. Afterward
    We found out through re-financing that the loan was recorded and she had to subrigate( Ithink that's the term) to the finance company. So I don't know if that was actually a lien
    But it behaved the same way. Also, there's a term called a "friendly lien" that's out there
    Does anyone know what's up with that? If I didn't earlier, thanks for the response and any other help
    dogtrainer Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2008, 09:12 PM
    You don't have to sue your SIL... get him to acknowledge the debt and sign a document agreeing to use the home as security/collateral for the repayment of the debt. Have him voluntarily sign a lien and then file the lien with the appropriate country recorder's office. The appropriate office would be the county in which the home is located. Once you have filed the lien it creates a cloud on the title which must be resolved before clear and equitable title can be conveyed to a new purchaser. Anyone performing a title search pursuant to escrow instructions will find the cloud.

***Nothing in this answer should be construed as legal advice and no attorney-client relationship is established. You should not rely on this answer, but should contact a Real Estate attorney in California and/or Arizona.***

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Property liens [ 3 Answers ]

I need to find out how to determine how much a lien is.My grandmother is in a nursing home and I would like to purchase her home.She has left the house to my mother.Upon her passing Iwould like to buy the house.I know from public record that there are 2 liens but have been unable to find out the...

Property Liens [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am selling my house and the title company told me that I have 3 liens against the property that don't belong to me, they are placed for people with similar name than mine, I bought this property a year a half ago and it was with clear title, how can I remove them? And why is that these...

Property Liens [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My name is Nicole Bridges. I am currently behind 5 months in my Condo Assessment fees. Can the Condo Association put a lien against my property for being behind in my assessment fees? Please advise. Thanks, Nicole Bridges

View more questions Search