Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ebony1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2008, 01:26 PM
    Form to use for file state '04 &'05.Live in NJ and work in NY
    Need to file state taxes for 2004 & 2005... resident of NJ but worked in NY. Which form (s) should I use to do my own filing and save some bucks?

Or if I want to save myself, pain & suffering, what's the average cost to use a tax professional? I'm single female, no kids.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 26, 2008, 01:31 PM
    For NY you file the NY form IT-203 (for non-residents). For NJ it's NJ-1040.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 27, 2008, 03:57 AM
    You will file NY tax return as nonresident. Then you will complete NJ tax return as resident. Then on NJ return, you will claim credit for taxes paid in NY by completing schedule A of NJ return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Work in one state, get taxed by the state I live in [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Michigan, but I work in Indiana. My company taxes me Michigan tax. While filing my state return do I have to also file an Indiana state tax?

Which state form do you use if you live out of state? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello... I work in New York City and am deducted for the state of New York. I live in Pennsylvania and am not sure what form to use. Help :D

File as married & self-employed: live in NY and do biz in Florida. Where do I file? [ 1 Answers ]

I moved to NY in the beginning of 2007. I am a freelance designer and I do business with clients in New York and Florida. I receive 1099s from my clients, both in New York and Florida, but i am not sure were do I have to file. Could you please clarify this for me? Thank you.

Work and live in one state and paycheck comes from another state [ 2 Answers ]

I receive my paycheck from PA but do not live or work in that state yet. May relocate soon. Should they be deducting PA taxes from my check?

View more questions Search