Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2008, 06:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by De Maria
    when I was atheist, I rarely helped any cause and anytime I did help any cause, I felt I needed to be paid somehow. At least I thought I should be thanked and that the people whom I helped needed to be appreciative.
    That's a personal weakness on your part that has nothing to do with religion.
    I know a great many non-believers who don't do any good at all. In fact they do a great deal of evil.
    The people who don't do any good at all are evenly distributed amongst the religious and non-religious, you may be too blind to see it. Since they are many gods that you do not believe in then you are also a non-believer, remember that.
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2008, 08:09 AM
    So, you don't mind debating after all.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    That's a personal weakness on your part that has nothing to do with religion.
    The weakness has nothing to do with religion, I'd have to agree.. But for me, religion was the remedy to that weakness. That's the point.

The people who don't do any good at all are evenly distributed amongst the religious and non-religious,
    That sounds like a subjective assertion. Please provide quantitative data to substantiate your claim, otherwise I'll have to chalk it up to wishful thinking.

you may be too blind to see it.
    No, I think my eyes are wide open to distinguish between an opinion and a statement of fact. That statement shows all the qualities of an opinion.

Since they are many gods that you do not believe in then you are also a non-believer, remember that.
    ?? If there was a point there it went over my head. But as they say on the playground, what's good for the gander is good for the goose. I'll play along.

And since there are many things in which you believe, you are also a believer. Remember that.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2008, 09:05 AM
    That sounds like a subjective assertion. Please provide quantitative data to substantiate your claim, otherwise I'll have to chalk it up to wishful thinking.
    Oh, you mean like you did here:
    I know a great many non-believers who don't do any good at all. In fact they do a great deal of evil.
    Please provide quantitative data to substantiate your claim.

And since there are many things in which you believe, you are also a believer. Remember that.
    Absolutely! I believe in a lot of things, just not an unseen being in the clouds.
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2008, 09:44 AM
    Oh, you mean like you did here: Please provide quantitative data to substantiate your claim.
    Didn't get it, huh?

You kind of have to read the entire message NK. Don't just read little snippets here and there. Read what both parties have said.

As for my response which you've quoted, its called "irony".

# sarcasm: witty language used to convey insults or scorn; "he used sarcasm to upset his opponent"; "irony is wasted on the stupid"; "Satire is a ...
    # incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs; "the irony of Ireland's copying the nation she most hated"
    # a trope that involves incongruity between what is expected and what occurs
    Wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Credendovidis had said, and I quote:

With that I agree. But note that the believer seems to need religion to do good, while the non-believer does that automatically without any incentive.
    Since he literally pommels everyone with this idea that only he is objective:

At least I do not believe in what someone else claims to be true, claims that always lack any objective support.
    I thought I'd give him a taste of the same type of evidence he actually produces.

Absolutely! I believe in a lot of things, just not an unseen being in the clouds.
    ?? Oh well, I guess you thought you made some kind of point there.

For the record, I don't believe in any unseen being in the clouds either. I believe in God.

Here's a question for you. Why do you feel it necessary to debate when you apparently have nothing relevant to add to the discussion? Do you feel some sort of loyalty to the unbelievers or something?

Sincerely, if you ever want to have a friendly discussion about what you believe vs what I believe, just ask me. We can do better than whatever this is.

De Maria
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2008, 09:51 AM
    Here's a question for you. Why do you feel it necessary to debate when you apparently have nothing relevant to add to the discussion? Do you feel some sort of loyalty to the unbelievers or something?
    I'm the ying to yor yang. :) Why do you feel the need to debate everyone on this site? What relevancy do you bring? An unbeliever such as yourself can't seem to grasp that people are individuals.
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2008, 02:30 PM
    I'm the ying to yor yang. :)
    Does that mean you just like to debate with me? If so, thanks.

Why do you feel the need to debate everyone on this site?
    I thought I answered that. I like to debate. Simple as that.

What relevancy do you bring?
    Quite a bit. I've been studying my faith for approximately 20 years, so I'm fairly knowledgeable. As I said, I came on this forum to share my knowledge of Christianity and especially Catholicism with everyone here.

As far as debate, well I just joined in the prevailing culture of this forum. However, in those 20 years of study, I have accumulated about 10 years of experience in debate, so I was well equipped to defend my beliefs when you first challenged me.

If you notice, I normally answer the OP. Then people who disagree, respond to me in objection to my opinion. I then respond to them. If you remember our first encounter that was the precise sequence of events.

I have at times reserved the right to respond to people who didn't address me but to whose messages I objected however. Especially since it seems to be part of the culture on this site.

An unbeliever such as yourself can't seem to grasp that people are individuals.
    I don't know where you get that impression. A believer like yourself can't seem to grasp that people have different opinions and that they might just disagree with you.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Jun 6, 2008, 05:51 AM
    For De Maria

Actually I'm getting a little bit tired of your aggressive and disrespectful posts.
    If it is your intention to be here an example of a "good" Christian, beware that you are actually supporting the Secular Humanist position a lot !

I don't think you would recognize objective support if it hit you in the face.
    Your favoutite response : a wild claim. Without any support. And as usual totally lacking any respect.

===

I asked you : Quote : "Why do you not react to the points I made in my previous post?"

I'm getting to it. But first, the ridiculous nature of this next statement of yours caught my eye:

"Quote Cred : Look : for me nobody has to defend his-her religious views."

What a joke. That is precisely what you do in every discussion on this forum. You insist that everyone defend their religious views.
    NOT TRUE !!!
    I never ask anyone to defend his belief. I always state that you may believe whatever suits you. But if you insist that what you believe is the one and only truth (i.e. that what you believe is the reality), yes than I ask for objective supporting evidence. Which you can not provide, because all what you seem to believe are religious claims.

You fail to realize that in this situation you may of course claim as much as you want, but that I in return may ask for objective supporting evidence for each of your unsupported claims.
    And I always do that with respect for your personal views. Something you fail to maintain time and time again !

===

As your selection of my previous points was extremely selective and frequently disrespectfull, I don't waste any further time on responses. I just repeat the first lines of this response :

If it is your intention here to be an example of a "good" Christian, beware that you are actually supporting the Secular Humanist position a lot !
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2008, 07:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Credendovidis
    For De Maria

Actually I'm getting a little bit tired of your aggressive and disrespectful posts.
    What a coincidence, the reason I've been responding to your posts lately is because I'm tired of your aggressive and disrespectful posts.

If it is your intention to be here an example of a "good" Christian,
    I hope so. But I don't think I can give much of an example via the internet. Mostly I just hoped to pass on accurate information about Christianity in general and Catholicism in particular.

beware that you are actually supporting the Secular Humanist position a lot !
    Although there are many differences, there are also many ways in which many philosphical positions meet and agree with religious beliefs. Unless you are specific I can't tell you which Secular Humanistic ideas I agree with. But there is one with which I vehemently disagree. The idea that God doesn't exist.

Your favoutite response : a wild claim. Without any support. And as usual totally lacking any respect.
    If you are saying that my responses are wild claims without any support, I have already debunked that accusation which you make of everyone Christian. And I have proven it is you making the wild claims without any support.

I asked you : Quote : "Why do you not react to the points I made in my previous post?"
    And I said, wait a sec, I'm getting to it and I added my response to your previous post to that message.

NOT TRUE !!! I never ask anyone to defend his belief.
    Perhaps. But by attacking and belittling their beliefs, you put everyone in the position of having to defend their beliefs.

I always state that you may believe whatever suits you. But if you insist that what you believe is the one and only truth (i.e. that what you believe is the reality), yes than I ask for objective supporting evidence. Which you can not provide, because all what you seem to believe are religious claims.
    Again, your bias has clouded your mind so completely that you can't even think logically, you don't recognize objective supporting evidence when it is presented to you.

And because your bias is so great, you don't realize that you haven't provided any objective supporting evidence to support your wild claims.

And because you are overzealous bordering on fanatical concerning your beliefs, you assume that your definition of simple English words, such as "belief" are the only definition in the world. You are so overzealous in that matter that I assume you haven't even looked at a dictionary to verify that your definition is correct.

You fail to realize that in this situation you may of course claim as much as you want, but that I in return may ask for objective supporting evidence for each of your unsupported claims.
    Which I have provided. And I have asked you for objective evidence to support your unsupported claims and you have provided nothing. Your entire argument consists of denials of the evidence provided to you.

And I always do that with respect for your personal views. Something you fail to maintain time and time again !
    As I said, I show you as much respect as you show me.

As your selection of my previous points was extremely selective
    What did you expect me to do? I selected that which was objectionable, which was most of the post and I addressed those portions.

and frequently disrespectfull,
    As I said, my response is as respectful to you as you are to me.

I don't waste any further time on responses.
    Ok.

I just repeat the first lines of this response :
    See my response above as well.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    -

Jun 6, 2008, 07:21 AM
    What a coincidence, the reason I've been responding to your posts lately is because I'm tired of your aggressive and disrespectful posts.
    Nowhere have I been disrespectfull to your world views

As stated before : I do not attack religious views. I allow everyone to believe whatever he/she believes, without any demands.

But that is : till the moment that a believer starts claiming that what he/she believes is the "one and only truth", i.e. that his/her religious views are factual.

At that moment I feel entitled to ask for objective supporting evidence for the religious claims. And if I do , I always do that in a respectful way - unlike you .

Enough said !
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2008, 08:53 AM
    Nowhere have I been disrespectfull to your world views
    Yeah, you have. Lets see, you claim Christians are brainwashed:
    If you during your youth have been brainwashed into Christianity
    You continually deny that a believer has examined the evidence:
    as I have never seen any religious claim or `one and only truth´ to be supported by objective evidence.
    You continually portray yourself as superior to believers:
    Actually I doubt if one needs religion to do good. If "doing good" is not part of your standard lifestyle, religion won't help neither, as at best any improved results will be based on wrong reasoning.
    As stated before : I do not attack religious views.
    Yes you do. But you use a passive aggressive style. By continually stating that you don't attack religious views from one side of your mouth and then continually characterizing religious views as unsupported wild claims.

I allow everyone to believe whatever he/she believes, without any demands.
    Only because there is nothing you can do about it. But you continually get into discussions which are besides the point of the OP. And it is always the same fanatical refrain, believe what you want but it is all unsupported wild claims:

Are believers motivated to do good? Your response, "it is all unsupported wild claims".

Another persons asks, what happened to Jesus body? Your response, "it is all unsupported wild claims."

And on and on. A person asked what is the definition of a fanatic and another posted this response:
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    Winston Churchill

That describes you.

But that is : till the moment that a believer starts claiming that what he/she believes is the "one and only truth", i.e. that his/her religious views are factual.
    And that right there contradicts your previous statement that you permit people to believe the evidence as they see fit. If they don't believe as you do, you harangue them constantly.

At that moment I feel entitled to ask for objective supporting evidence for the religious claims. And if I do , I always do that in a respectful way - unlike you .
    I've yet to see it.

Enough said !
    If that were only true.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Jun 6, 2008, 09:20 AM

If it is your intention here to be an example of a "good" Christian, beware that you are actually supporting the Secular Humanist position a lot !

What is the"secular humanist" position?

On abortion
    On origins of life
    On eternal life
    On good and evil
    What is right, what is wrong?
    What is your "bible"

Is it that there is no God? That position is disrespectful to the religious.
    -

Jun 8, 2008, 03:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox
    What is the"secular humanist" position?
    on abortion
    on origins of life
    on eternal life
    on good and evil
    what is right, what is wrong?
    what is your "bible"

Is it that there is no God? That position is disrespectful to the religious.
    My PERSONAL Secular Humanist position is :

- on abortion : in general I am against abortion (except in cases of abuse and special situation in which the mother's life is at stake when the pregnancy is continued. But I leave it to every individual to come to his/her own conclusion. It's a moral question, not a religious one.

- on origins of life : all we know is that life started on earth. We do not know how, we do not know why. Seems that the conditions for first primitive life to form were some 4 billion years ago.

- on eternal life : We are born, we live, we die. That is it. Eternal life is a religious claim for which there is not one single iota of objective supporting evidence.

- on good and evil : there are good, and there are evil people. There is no supporting evidence that the percentages of good and evil are in general different in theist against non-theists.

- what is right, what is wrong : use the golden rule : do not do to others what you do not like to be done to yourself. Simple and clear. No need for any religious guidance there.

- I have no "bible". I do not need a "bible". The Christian Bible is just a book on the cultural and historical data - and religious views - of the jews (OT) and later of the early christians (NT).

- Nobody can provide objective supporting evience for the existence of a God or Gods.
    To question and/or reject god/gods is not disrespectful to religious people.

Once more my standard point of view in all these matters : believe whatever you like to believe : no problemo! But do not claim that what you believe the "one and only truth".

Anything else?

;)
    -

Jun 8, 2008, 03:32 PM
    Yeah, you have. Lets see, you claim Christians are brainwashed
    Many are indeed. Not only Christians : all believers in deity/deities.
    People are born without any religious references. During their youth children are in some way indeed brainwashed into believing that God/Gods exist.

You continually deny that a believer has examined the evidence
    Nonsense ! A strict believer can only make religious claims as he/she can not provide even a single iota of objective supporting evidence for what he/she believes. There simply is only belief. No evidence for any religious claim.

You continually portray yourself as superior to believers
    I do not. But are you now blaming me for your own inferiority complex?

.. //..

Another persons asks, what happened to Jesus body? Your response, "it is all unsupported wild claims."
    So? That is 100 % true ! Whatever you believe, it are claims, nothing else. That is : till YOU prove your claims to be true. So far you have never done that. No problem with me, but than do not claim that whatever you believe is "the one and only truth!"

Cred
    sassyT Posts: 184, Reputation: 7

Jun 9, 2008, 09:34 AM
    [QUOTE=Credendovidis]My PERSONAL

[QUOTE]
    - on origins of life : all we know is that life started on earth.
    We do not know how, we do not know why. Seems that the conditions for first primitive life to form were some 4 billion years ago.
    Credo, scientists Do not KNOW with 100% certain that life began on earth and also scientist do not KNOW that the World is 4 billion years old. That figure is based on the assumptions that the methods used for dating the earth (like carbon dating) are accurate. There is no way to prove that the assumptions used in such methods are accurate. So if that is your belief, it is based on faith not Facts.

- on eternal life : We are born, we live, we die. That is it. Eternal life is a religious claim for which there is not one single iota of objective supporting evidence.
    That is your belief. LIkewise, you do not have an iota of objective evidence to support your claim that there is no life after death.

- what is right, what is wrong : use the golden rule : do not do to others what you do not like to be done to yourself. Simple and clear. No need for any religious guidance there.
    It seems your "golden rule conflicts with your beliefs on abortion. That small life growing in the womb of a mother who has been raped. If she terminates the pregnancy and ends the life of that baby, is she doing unto others what she wants done unto her?

- I have no "bible". I do not need a "bible". The Christian Bible is just a book on the cultural and historical data - and religious views - of the jews (OT) and later of the early christians (NT).
    Again your beliefs..

- Nobody can provide objective supporting evience for the existence of a God or Gods.
    Niether can you or anyone prove he does NOT exist.
    Once more my standard point of view in all these matters : believe whatever you like to believe : no problemo! But do not claim that what you believe the "one and only truth".
    There can only be one truth. At the end of the day one of us is right, and I think just based on rationality and common sense, that theist are right.
    -

Jun 9, 2008, 11:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sassyT
    Credo, scientists Do not KNOW with 100% certain that life began on earth and also scientist do not KNOW that the World is 4 billion years old.
    Yes they do. Life began on earth. At least the life we know. There may be billions of other life forms. But that is irrelevant. We live on earth. Life exists on earth. That life started here. No assumptions at all.

And the entire solar system is around 4.3 Billion years old. There is ample objective supported evidence for that. But of course you may BELIEVE otherwise !

LIkewise, you do not have an iota of objective evidence to support your claim that there is no life after death.
    The burden of proof is on the (positive) claim that there is an afterlife. It is not on me to prove that your religiously based claim is incorrect. Do some classes in logical thinking.

It seems your "golden rule conflicts with your beliefs on abortion. That small life growing in the womb of a mother who has been raped. If she terminates the pregnancy and ends the life of that baby, is she doing unto others what she wants done unto her?
    That is a philosophical point of view. It has little to do with the general meaning of the golden rule. You are nittpicking out of pure frustration.

Niether can you or anyone prove he does NOT exist.
    The burden of proof is on the (positive) claim. Not on me. Do some classes in logical thinking.

... there can only be one truth. At the end of the day one of us is right, and i think just based on rationality and common sence, that theist are right.
    Theism based on rationality and common sense?
    You REALLY need that course in logical thinking...

Ciao!
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2008, 11:51 AM
    I am hoping that this thread does end up being closed!
    -

Jun 9, 2008, 11:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    I am hoping that this thread does end up being closed!
    Are you always so negative ? WHY do you hope that ?

;)
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2008, 12:01 PM
    Are you always so negative ? WHY do you hope that ?

;)
    I hope it doesn't close because I rather like having a thread I opened and keep it going for sometime so that I can post some more posts regarding believers in general.:)

I don't think I am always negative.
    sassyT Posts: 184, Reputation: 7

Jun 9, 2008, 01:41 PM
    [QUOTE]
    Yes they do. Life began on earth. At least the life we know. There may be billions of other life forms. But that is irrelevant. We live on earth. Life exists on earth. That life started here. No assumptions at all.

And the entire solar system is around 4.3 Billion years old. There is ample objective supported evidence for that. But of course you may BELIEVE otherwise !
    Credo, I am have a bachelors degree in Biology and Chemistry and am currenty working on my masters in Biology so I am guessing I am probably more scientifically educated that you. Do you know what carbon dating is? If so do you know that the assuptions used in carbon dating? Do you know that the assumptions are unvarifiable?
    Therefore there is no certainty that the earth is 4.3 billion years old. This is only true, ONLY if you ASSUME that the assumptions used in dating the earth are accurate and there is no way to prove those assumptions are factual. So if you believe the earth is 4.3 billion years old, it is by Faith not because it is a fact.

The burden of proof is on the (positive) claim that there is an afterlife. It is not on me to prove that your religiously based claim is incorrect. Do some classes in logical thinking.
    How convenient for you. You have a possitive belief that there is no life after death therefore the burden of proof is also on you.

That is a philosophical point of view. It has little to do with the general meaning of the golden rule. You are nittpicking out of pure frustration.
    No, actually it just points out the flaws and inconsitancies in your beliefs. You said "it is just that simple" and I am pointing out to you that it is NOT that simple. Your "golden rule" philosophy only applies to a very few of circumstances and situations.

Theism based on rationality and common sense?
    You REALLY need that course in logical thinking...
    Yes, and I will explain why theism is more logical. An Athiests sees everything around them trees, flowers, animals, complex biological systems like the digesive system, reproductive system, immune system etc and an atheist comes to the smart conclusion that it just apeared from "no where" by "accident". If one uses common sense, a reasonable person would conclude that the complexity of design seen in our universe warrants an intelligent designer.
    Let me give you an analogy... It would be like if I landed on Jupitor and found a complex functional machine that resembles a car and I come to the conclusion that ithe machine just a apeared on jupitor from no where by accident and evolved over time.
    A reasonable sensible person would conclude after seeing the machine, its complexity of design and functionality, that there must be intelligent life on Jupitor capable of creating a designing the machine. However using this analogy an atheist would conclude that the machine has no intelligent creator or originator but rather appeared by accident from "no where". Logical? No

SASSSSSY ;)
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Jun 9, 2008, 03:28 PM
    My PERSONAL Secular Humanist position is :

- on abortion : in general I am against abortion (except in cases of abuse and special situation in which the mother's life is at stake when the pregnancy is continued. But I leave it to every individual to come to his/her own conclusion. It's a moral question, not a religious one.

- on origins of life : all we know is that life started on earth. We do not know how, we do not know why. Seems that the conditions for first primitive life to form were some 4 billion years ago.

- on good and evil : there are good, and there are evil people. There is no supporting evidence that the percentages of good and evil are in general different in theist against non-theists.

Anything else?

;)

Thank you for your reply.

I see this "golden rule" bandied about all the time.

Why do you adhere to this versus another philosophy,.

For example.

I should do whatever I dang well please, that is all that matters.

Or perhaps A Darwinian philosophy of,. by whatever means I'm am going to survive and make sure my genes are passed on, even if means eliminating "inferior" competittion.

How, in a world of no absolutes, is that any worse or better than the "golden rule"

As to origins of life, what proof do you have that "the conditions were right, " is there a lab somewhere that actually knows the exact conditions at the very beginning? Miller's experiments have been debunked. If you do not know for sure, no proof as your Creed goes, how do you know this is reality and not some figment of something's imagination?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Reincarnating as a non-believer? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm currently in a Comparative Religion course. My teacher was unable to answer this question and suggested I try and find the answer. Do Hindus believe they will be reincarnated ONLY as Hindus or could one come back as Joe Schmoe of Anytown USA. If reincarnated as a non-Hindu that does not...

Skeptical Psychic Believer? [ 14 Answers ]

:confused: I have always been very skeptical about psychics. Are they for real?

Believer and Unbeliver Marriage [ 21 Answers ]

Hello! I just recently found out from a friend that the reason why my marriage is not working out is because my husband and I are not "equally yoked." Doing research on this in the Bible, it says for a woman/man not to marry an unbeliever. I'm the believer, my husband is not, but it is not his...

View more questions Search