Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2008, 09:17 PM
    Is God evil?
    If God is all, if all things are possible in Gods world, isn't God evil too? Our limited mortal definition of evil, anyway. If God is everything, then He must be all that I hate as well as all that I love. Right?

Tell me what your views are, please.
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2008, 10:25 PM
    My belief is based on what I read in the Bible. It teaches that God is love but also teaches that God is a just God. It also says He cannot look upon sin so He sent His son Jesus to die on the cross as payment for our sin, a one time blood sacrifice, and we have the choice as to whether to accept Jesus into our lives and put our faith in Him or not. God tugs at our heart so to speak and beckons us to ask Jesus into our lives. When we do, we can pray about anything, any time or any place and know that God is not seeing the sin and ugliness in our lives because the Bible says when we receive Jesus, He clothes us in His righteousness so that is what God sees when we pray, the righteousness of His son Jesus Christ. The Bible teaches that salvation cannot be earned, it is offered as a free gift. But if we do receive this free gift of salvation we will want to do good and help others and love others and allow God to love other's through us. We still mess up because we are human and live in a fallen world and make mistakes but God is a gracious and forgiving God. That does not mean we won't suffer some consequences for our choices. An example might be that we have received Jesus into our hearts, have tried to live as we believe we should according to God's word then we might make a choice to lie about a fellow employee. Just in the blink of an eye we might decide to do this even though we might regret it later. We might also be found out and be fired. God is not evil nor did He cause us to lose that job. We have simply placed ourselves in that position by our choice. For me it is important to know that even when we receive Jesus into our lives, God still gives us freedom to choose each day what we do, what we say. We are not puppets. There may be consequences for wrong choices but God is still here loving us, forgiving us. If our child climbs on top of the house and we have told them not to do so, we forgive them, we continue to love them with all our hearts but that doesn't make the break in the broken arm go away that the child got when he disobeyed us and climbed on the house and fell.

A lot of people would like to think that the only fair kind of God would be one like the pie in the sky bye and bye. But when the Bible teaches that God is love but is also just, it shows me a God of balance. He does love us totally yet just as we train up our children we occasionally must hold them accountable when they get out of line of what we require. All of us sin every day, sometimes, sins of omission, some of commission. Once we place our faith in what Jesus did for us and ask Him to come into our lives, the Bible teaches we still are held accountable for our actions. He is not evil for requiring this any more than a parent would be evil for scolding or chastising a child for climbing up on top of the house when they had been instructed not to as stated earlier as an example. It is for the good of the child's safety. When the child chooses to disobey, that child removes himself from the protection that his parents have provided by giving good guidelines and instruction.

We all come from such diverse teachings, backgrounds, experiences. I have just shared my beliefs as I have come to know them by what I read in God's word the Bible and shared some of my thoughts on God being love and yet being just. God is not evil.

Perhaps if one has not placed their faith and belief in God through asking Jesus Christ into their lives, one might ponder such concepts. Having come to know Jesus as my personal Lord of my life, (I am in no way perfect but I simply have placed my life in His hands by faith such as a person who sees a chair and looks at it, has a choice to put their trust in that chair that it will hold them up prior to sitting in it then sits in it therefore, not knowing ahead for sure but choosing to believe the chair will do what it is to do has acted on faith. I know this is a simple example and maybe too physical considering we are visiting and sharing about spiritual matters, it does make a point of choice.) I have experienced the love and the just God. My experience and my faith and my study of His word tells me God is not evil.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2008, 11:48 PM
    The Mighty One,the All-Knowing,the Great One,the First,the Last,the Pardoner,the Most Bounteous,the Maker,the Source of All Goodness,the Judge,the Self-Sufficient,the Reckoner,the Wise,the Aware,the Powerful,the Giver of Life,the Giver of Death,the Merciful,the All-Hearing...
    These are just some of the attributes of the Almighty.
    Being evil is not one of them as far as I believe. Evil is a trait of some of the created beings.

But him being the Most just will give each one their due in the end, and this when seen with human eyes without knowing the reason why someone is being punished might assume it an evil justice,but it is most fair that each one get his due in the end.
    He is the Pardoner too,so those who receive pardon in the end will think Him the most Merciful too.

Just my personal thoughts on it.
    marvin_082500 Posts: 15, Reputation: 0
    -

Mar 26, 2008, 02:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by simoneaugie
    If God is all, if all things are possible in Gods world, isn't God evil too? Our limited mortal definition of evil, anyway. If God is everything, then He must be all that I hate as well as all that I love. Right?

Not all things possible to God. That's why He is Not evil.

WHY God is not all possible to Him. Because He is a God Who cannot lie
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2008, 04:09 PM
    Thank You for the awesome answers. Made me think. God is a just God, all I remember from reading the Bible is, God is a jealous God.

Marvin said that God can not lie. We are made in the image (like a mirror) of God. How could we be capable of anything if He is not capable of the same thing? He is our creator/inventor, every part of us was created by God wasn't it? Our human selves are capable of evil.

Perhaps, through the eyes of God, no act is evil, just a choice.

Maybe it slips and squirms during definition through our darkened glass, because even though God is everything, we are not able to conceive of everything, yet. For instance, what of the child who climbs on the roof, but has never been told not to. What of the children who have no parents, or have parents who are "absent?" What happens to the person who lives in the Amazon and never hears about Jesus?

Where can I find the quotation that, "God can not see our sins?"
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 26, 2008, 05:26 PM
    Man was made originally without sin, but man was tempted by the devil, satan and decided to disobey God. At that point, sin became part of mans nature, and man was no longer after the image of God

One of the main things he got was the ability to feel guilt, since when he heard God after he sinned, he realised he was naked and hid, showing he was ahamed of his state, And before he was not and exactly the same.
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2008, 09:02 PM
    You are talking about the original sin, in the garden of Eden. God created the heavens and the earth, all of it. Didn't he create the serpent? How did the snake speak to Eve if not given words, by God?
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2008, 10:04 AM
    Thank You for the awesome answers. Made me think. God is a just God, all I remember from reading the Bible is, God is a jealous God.

marvin said that God can not lie. We are made in the image (like a mirror) of God. How could we be capable of anything if He is not capable of the same thing? He is our creator/inventor, every part of us was created by God wasn't it? Our human selves are capable of evil.
    I always believe He is the Most Just.

Humans and other created beings cannot be on the same level as the Creator.And the Creator's attributes cannot be compared in the same level as human characteristics.

And the Almighty is not human.

Maybe it slips and squirms during definition through our darkened glass, because even though God is everything, we are not able to conceive of everything, yet. For instance, what of the child who climbs on the roof, but has never been told not to. What of the children who have no parents, or have parents who are "absent?" What happens to the person who lives in the Amazon and never hears about Jesus?

I did not know your question was aimed at Christian beliefs.

As far as I believe,each child is born pure with the knowledge of the Almighty.They grow up and are exposed to the personal beliefs of their parents and as they become adults choose their own paths.
    Those who never get the message of the Almighty will be judged by Him who knows all that is in the hearts of men.

Regarding Satan,here is a brief description of what I believe-
    http://www.understanding-islam.com/r...estion&qid=291
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2008, 06:49 PM
    Fascinating information regarding Al Shaitaan. I haven't learned much about Judaism or Islam, yet. So, thanks.

My question was directed towards human belief. My post about the garden of eden was mainly in response to what fr-chuck posted.
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Mar 27, 2008, 10:15 PM
    Look around at the world today ----Is God Evil??
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2008, 11:05 PM
    No, God is not evil. When they say God is "all things".. remembering... the sentence does not stop there...

God is all things that are good.

Hope this helps.
    addaddadd Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2008, 02:06 AM

marvin said that God can not lie. We are made in the image (like a mirror) of God. How could we be capable of anything if He is not capable of the same thing? He is our creator/inventor, every part of us was created by God wasn't it? Our human selves are capable of evil.

God see what are we doing even it is good or bad. Even what is in our heart God can see it.
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Mar 28, 2008, 06:53 AM
    You are talking about the original sin, in the garden of Eden. God created the heavens and the earth, all of it. Didn't he create the serpent? How did the snake speak to Eve if not given words, by God?
    I believe the serpent is symbolic like so many other things in the bible.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 28, 2008, 08:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Allheart
    No, God is not evil. When they say God is "all things"..remembering....the sentence does not stop there...

God is all things that are good.

Hope this helps.
    I can relate, and its humans who are evil, by their own God given choice.
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2008, 12:16 AM

Just now getting back with you on your post. In researching the scriptures, I find references to God not looking on sin. I tend to study the New Testament more than the old although the New is a fulfillment of the old. In Habakkuk 1:13 talking about God, it says, "You are of purer eyes than to behold evil, and cannot look on wickedness...." I always encourage people to read the whole chapter when a verse has been mentioned, to get the meaning of it in context to the rest of the chapter. I do not like to take one verse and built a whole area of belief on that one scripture because all the scriptures work together, fitly joined together. Sometimes, it takes reading the whole book of the Bible I am researching or even reading from other books in the Bible that are touching on the same subject, to get the fullness of the meaning.

When Jesus came to this earth and was crucified to provide a way of salvation, through the shedding of His blood and our faith in what He did for us, He took on all the sins of the world. In Matthew 27:46 we see God Himself turning away from His beloved Son who is bearing the sin of the world. Jesus is bearing man's judgment, not only the judgment of death but also the judgment of separation from God. At that moment, Jesus is experiencing the darkest moment of His life and He bore it for us.

God is the Holy One, and though He knows all about evil and wickedness, He is not in any way tainted with it. He is light and in Him is no darkness at all: darkness in the sense of error (intellectual) and sin (moral).

Romans 8:34 says Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yet rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us. Verses 35 through 39 continue stating that once we receive Jesus in our hearts and receive this free gift of salvation nothing can separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

I hope this helped in your request for a quote regarding this subject. There may be other passages that touch on this subject but these are what I had for you tonight. Blessings to you in your quest for knowledge.

We never can learn enough. Sometimes, the more I read and learn, the more I realize that I know very little. But this one thing I do know without a doubt in my mind is that when I asked Jesus Christ to forgive me my sins and come into my life to be my Lord and Savior, I became a new creation in Christ. I do make mistakes and still sin but I know I just have to ask forgiveness and start fresh again, I know for sure where I will spend eternity and that gives me tremendous peace as I go through some of life's trials. As far as I can tell by what I read, God doesn't promise us an easy journey but a safe arrival and He does promise He will never leave us nor forsake us as we go through dark times. Sometimes, those dark times come from bad choices we make and sometimes they come just because we live in a fallen world, other times dark times come and cause us to seek answers. I don't believe God ever causes bad things to happen to us. He allows it, in that He does not always step in and stop it but He does give us the strength to go through it, the grace to accept where we are in life and the peace in our heart to know it will not always be this way and sometimes by what we go through, we are much more able to help others who are going through bad times. I don't like to go through bad times but I have been through some really tough situations but because of it, I have been able to help and encourage others.
    Moparbyfar Posts: 262, Reputation: 49

Mar 29, 2008, 03:46 AM

What happens to the person who lives in the Amazon and never hears about Jesus?
    The JWs seem to have it covered. It has been reported that criminal fugitives who go into hiding in the vast Australian outback are tracked down easier by JWs than by the police! Also in the remotest parts of Borneo where there are thick rainforests, you guessed it, the people are receiving the 'good news'. :)
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2008, 03:53 AM
    Hi again Simon -

You asked what about the person who may not hear about Jesus?

I have been taught, and I do believe, that we all will be exposed to Jesus, and we all will
    Either choose to accept in our heart or not.

Now, if that is not true, then, I believe that God is a loving God and will bring them into his loving arms as much as those who have heard of Jesus and accepts Him.

Sadly, sick children pass on sometimes, without being able to understand or be introduced Jesus, and for sure, I believe, they now lay in the loving arms of our Father.
    black111madonna Posts: 101, Reputation: 15

Apr 19, 2008, 06:11 AM
    When you spell the word EVIL backwards you'll get LIVE... thats funny isn't it?

I think God is the source of all creation... thus making all of us co-creators and what do we create?

Take whatever is coming to you... let the beauty of it move you!
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Apr 19, 2008, 12:49 PM
    Huh?
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2008, 10:06 PM
    Thanks for all the research, jrebely.

As a saved sinner I am saved, and can be assured, no matter how many mistakes I make that I will rest eternally in heaven. I then go out into the world and experience evil. Getting through tough times makes me stronger and able to help others. It's all out of my hands, even if I read and study till I die.

Or,

As a creature born on this earth, I can create. I have the freedom to be either good or evil. Everything that is bad which happens to us, we chose. We frequently do not follow the will of God, but he always makes it possible for us to follow our own will. Even if we decide to murder others.

Which to choose? Each promises freedom.

I read somewhere that God is the Alpha and the Omega, but we are everything in between. God cannot experience things, except through us. If that is true, then we truly are part of God, an integral and needed part. Whether God is evil doesn't matter because he experiences evil through us.

If the "symbolic" serpent who spoke to Eve is only a symbol for something else, what is it a symbol of? And who, or what created this symbol and taught it how to speak? What did it symbolically teach Eve? Before the conversation, both Adam and Eve had no shame and felt a part of God.

If this world is indeed fallen, does that mean that newborn babies are fallen the moment they come screaming into this world? Maybe that is part of the scream, why they sleep so much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is 50% good + 50% evil=God? [ 164 Answers ]

Is50% good+50% evil=God? I ask this because every thing has an opposite answer this I am confused.

Evil old navy... [ 3 Answers ]

I was just wondering if anyone knows the name of the song in the new old navy commercial "spring loves stripes". A woman sings it and the chorus goes " daddio, daddio" a few times... Its stuck in my head for hours after I see the commercial so I figure it would make sense for me to at least know...

Evil spyware [ 6 Answers ]

I have decided to run some tests of the main spyware removal tools: Adaware, spybot, xoftspy, Micro$oft AS, trend housecall, etc. So what do you consider the worest spy/ad/malware out there? Also are there any other tools I should try? :D

View more questions Search