Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2008, 07:32 PM
    Democrat versus Republican
    Many of you guys can add it up in one minute, so please tell me:

How many wars were initiated by democrats since the beginning of the USA?
    How many were started by republicans?

How many wars were ended by republicans versus democrats?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 25, 2008, 07:53 PM
    Do you mean like the republicans bombing Pearl Harbor, or the Republicans flying planes into the towers,

Is this the starting of the wars??
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2008, 10:01 PM
    I guess that I meant who was in office when the major American involved wars started.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2008, 11:12 PM
    Iraq….Republicans in power.
    Gulf War….Republicans in power, ended by Republicans
    Vietnam…Democrats in power, ended by the Republicans
    Korea….Democrats in power I believe, ended by the Republicans
    WW2, Democrats in power, ended by the Democrats

And there are plenty of others as well.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2008, 05:32 AM
    I will deal with the major wars

1812 began and ended with James Madison Democrat in office .

Mexican American war began and ended with James K Polk Democrat in office

American Civil War began with Republican Abe Lincoln and ended with Andrew Johnson Democrat but the war was essentially over when he became President

Spanish American War began and ended with Republican President McKinley in office

World War I began and ended with Democrat Woodrow Wilson in office

World War II began with Democrat FDR and ended with DemocratHarry Truman in office

Capt . Forest has provided the more recent wars already .
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2008, 03:42 PM
    Thank You all. That's what I wanted to know about.

Simone
    confusedbyitall Posts: 48, Reputation: -2

Jul 14, 2008, 10:16 PM
    Simone,

Also keep in mind that over history, the labels of what a whig is, what a Republican is, what a Democrat is, what a Libertarian (more recent label) is, have changed. The example I'll give is one of what it means to be a Republican, and better yet, what it means to be a "conservative", which I am. In the 1950s and 1960s, the live and let live, keep big government out of the lives of the people, the government's job is to protect the liberty of the individuals and their choices as long as those choices didn't impact others' freedoms negatively, and so on, was the Republican party. Democrat doesn't mean let freedom ring. It typically, as judged by voting record, means, Democrat that is, state control and intervention. Now, however, the party that represents at its core what the Republican party was in the 1950s and 1960s and even into the 70s is the Libertarian Party. To sum it up, liberty means doing what you want, when you want, as long as you don't harm anyone else or their freedoms to do what they want when they want. Neither of the main parties, and we have more than two, represent those ideals that are set forth in the constitution.

For the most "liberal", and funnily enough, that used to be referred to as extreme conservatism in the 1950s, stance on the issues, there are, or were, two candidates in play this year for the presidency to take over from Bush (no opinion on him added here). One is Ron Paul, a "Republican" who really is a Libertarian per today's vocabulary usage, and the other is a "Democrat", Mike Gravel, who also is a Libertarian per today's vocabulary usage.
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2008, 09:55 PM
    Wow. Now I have to do some reading on the USA. Thanks for the ideas.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Democrat abortion dodge in Las Vegas [ 5 Answers ]

During the debate ,the candidates were asked essentially if they would pick judges who would rule in favor of the pro-choice litmus test( "would you insist nominees support abortion rights?" ). Some of them used the dodge that Roe was " settled law" and they would appoint judges who recognized...

Trouble in the Democrat ranks [ 26 Answers ]

Politico points out that the Blue Dog Democrats have refused to give funding to the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC ) Blue Dogs refuse to pony up for DCCC - Politico.com Print View The Blue Dog Democrats are what the moonbat or netroot wing of the party calls "Bush Dog...

Democrat/republican who? [ 5 Answers ]

Are you going to vote democrat or republican and then who are you going to vote for? If you vote.

Cindy Sheehad quits Democrat Party [ 39 Answers ]

She gave her formal resignation on the lefty blog site Daily Kos Daily Kos: "Good Riddance Attention Whore" It is too long to post on this site but go to the link for complete text . Tammy Bruce did a nice translation Tammy Bruce: The Pathetic Cindy Sheehan Quits, I Translate 1. Everyone...

View more questions Search