Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Raymonator Posts: 33, Reputation: 4

Mar 25, 2008, 12:54 PM
    Replacing bedroom and closet doors.
    I have very plain hollow bedroom and closet doors which I'd like to replace one by one. I'm looking at the more modern doors that have a colonial design pattern on both sides but are also hollow.
    Do I have to replace the door jams/frame too, or can I just take off the old and install the new ones ? I'm assuming I'd have to make new holes for the door knobs, as well as inset at the rear of each door so that the hinges are flush with the rear of each door.
    I've never done this before, so bare with me. :rolleyes:
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2008, 01:27 PM
    You have the right idea. There are jigs/toolset for doing the locks. If you need to replace the hinges, look for something that will fit the old hinge pattern. It's highly likely that interior doors don't come with jambs.

Typically you'll have to cut the doors to fit the opening unless the doors are custom.

You will have to do the hinges and the locks. Some locksets and hinges are easier than others. The hinges will be the most critical. If you have to mortise a lot of doors, consider a router rather than a chisel.

Mar 25, 2008, 05:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    You have the right idea. There are jigs/toolset for doing the locks. If you need to replace the hinges, look for something that will fit the old hinge pattern. It's highly likely that interior doors don't come with jambs.

Typically you'll have to cut the doors to fit the opening unless the doors are custom.

You will have to do the hinges and the locks. Some locksets and hinges are easier than others. The hinges will be the most critical. If you have to mortise a lot of doors, consider a router rather than a chisel.
    Funny, I thought the hole for the lock set would have been more critical. I'm pretty sure my existing doors are standard size [ 30" x 80" ] so by getting the same size, I was thinking of using the old door as a pattern then copy the measurements over to the new door. I plan on using the same hinges and door knob hardware.
    I'll look into it tomorrow and see what the hardware stores have to offer.
    Thanks for your response KISS.
    :)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 25, 2008, 05:58 PM
    Ray, if you go to the home center you will see the same door sold pre hung or not. The pre hung can run $25 more but you have most of your work done for you correctly. You still have to shim and install the frame in the door opening and then the trim. It really boils down to your skills and time. I can do both and when its for my home I do pre hung. I am not sure but I don't think you will have much luck finding a Colonial door that is hollow. I get 6 panel pine doors pre hung at Menards for about $90.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 25, 2008, 06:32 PM
    I agree with Bob, if possible purchase prehung doors. Drilling for the lock set is the easy part. You can even purchase doors only that have the lock set holes already drilled but you have to insure that the heighth is correct. Cutting the mortices for the hinges is easy but getting them in the right place is HARD. The distance between the hinges must be exact and the backset must be correct. However, if you insist on hanging new doors in the existing frames let me know. I have a system that works and is efficient but requires a lot of preparatory work making templets and the purchase of a special router bit. I developed this procedure because I sometimes have to replace doors with out replacing frames. I have a tutorial using this procedure but it is far too long to post here. Send email address if you are interested.

Mar 25, 2008, 06:32 PM
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure however what you mean by 'prehung' ? Sorry for sounding like an idiot, but even though I consider myself as an OK DIY'er, I've never attempted to replace or install a new door before. So, with that said, are you saying that I can buy a door with the lock set hole and hinges already cut so all I have to do is transfer my existing hardware onto the new door ?
    I'm starting to question if it wouldn't be easier to buy a door(s) with new frame. Then again, maybe not.
    Thank you both for your help.
    PS: hkstroud~ I've pm'd you my email addy... thanks.

Mar 25, 2008, 06:46 PM
    A prehung door is one that comes with the frame and molding. You can purchase a door with the lock set holes drilled but not one with the hinges morticed. While most manufacutures use approximately the same measurements they are not exactly the same. I woud say that hinge mortices must be within 1/32" of correct location to work and look right.

Mar 25, 2008, 07:30 PM
    Ray,
    Send email address to [email protected].
    System is on blink and won't let me see you PM.

Mar 26, 2008, 06:37 AM
    Like Harold says, pre hung has the frame , inside trim and hinges attached with lock hole drilled. You slide the whole unit in place and then use shims to fill the space between the pre hung door frame and your wall studs. I'd be interested in Harolds procedure if he can create a link or attachment.

Mar 26, 2008, 06:59 AM
    It would probably be easier then to buy pre-hung. Shimming is does by wedging cedar shingles to get frame vertically plum... right ?
    I'm heading to the hardware store this morning and check things out. Thanks guys.

Mar 26, 2008, 07:29 AM
    Most pre hung doors will include directions for shimming. First you shim the hinge side insuring the door frame is vertical and sits aligned to your opening, shim and nail or screw behind each hinge. Now you are ready to shim the lock side starting with checking the header for true horizontal and then shim so that the sapce between the door and the frame is consistently 1/8", shim at lock, top and bottom. Insert two shims, one from front and one from back, nail and then snap off any excess material after scoring with a blade.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2008, 10:18 AM
    Shims can be purchased as such.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lead closet replaced by pvc closet on toilet [ 4 Answers ]

Plumber replaced a lead closet with a pvc closet and now the toilet doesn't line up the way it used to.. It is forward 2" and sideways about 1-1/2 " Plumber says that is the best he can do.. I don't believe that . Is there a way it can line up like before.

Sliding closet doors [ 2 Answers ]

Need to know how to put sliding closet door back onto track, is there a trick to it. I have tried everything:confused:

Replacing a brass closet flange on a lead pipe [ 3 Answers ]

Okay, so I'm renovating my bathroom and running into some issues with the old plumbing. Here is a link to some pictures of the situation which will do a much better job at describing things than I can. Picasa Web Albums - Jonathan - plumbing Obviously the ideal situation would be to...

Replacing French Doors [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have French Doors in my living room leading to the backyard that also includes a third stationary door that won't open. I'm attaching a rough picture of what it looks like. I would like to get rid of at least one of these and possibly even replace two so that there is just a single...

Replacing water closet flange [ 2 Answers ]

I am replacing sub-floor and water closet in an existing bathroom. The existing soil pipe is cast iron. The existing flange appears to be an inst-set flange. It seems to be set over the existing soil pipe with a lead joint. My question is: Can I use an inside PVC flange and leave the existing...

View more questions Search