Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mary0808 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2008, 11:45 AM
    How long does it normally take for a family member to adopt another family member
    :confused: I am in the process of adopting my nephew. I have had him since he was born and started the adoption in 05 I did home study, background check, etc in first year. Two years later I got transfer of custody. It is now going on the third year and the adoption is still not final. How long does it usually take? My sister is not fighting it or anything so I am confused as to why it is taking so long.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 25, 2008, 12:05 PM
    Ask your attorney!

Apr 8, 2008, 11:04 PM
    Well that's the thing I can't get any answers every time I call I get the sectary who tells me she's not in and she will give her the massage, but never get a return call from either my attorney or the sectary
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Apr 9, 2008, 04:56 AM
    Wait... you PAY your attorney.

Next time you leave a message, let her know you'll be looking for a NEW attorney if you don't get a call back in 24 hours.

Apr 9, 2008, 05:38 AM
    Synnen is right. Your attorney works for you and is paid by you. An adoption shouldn't take 3 years. Tell the secretary, either you get an answer within 24 hours or you will find a new attorney and sue the first attorney for malpractice.

Apr 10, 2008, 12:07 AM
    I just received a letter in the mail from my attorney. Now she is wanting me to pay her more money. I don't believe the attorney should be paid more she really hasn't done anything. I have done a lot of it myself because I had gotten tired of waiting for her. When I first hired her she gave me her price to do the adoption there was never anything verbal or written that said there maybe more cost on my part. I had read some where that an attorney has to tell you that, but not sure it that is true or not. Should I just find a new attorney and start over? Is there any way I can some of my money back from the attorney I currently have or is that a loss? I appericate all of your help.

Apr 10, 2008, 05:32 AM
    I told you, sue the first attorney for malpractice. Whether you have a valid case or not, I can't tell. But if she quoted you a price for an adoption and now wants more money, she has to justify her billings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Eviction of a family member from a single family home [ 2 Answers ]

My brother who is about 37 years old lives with my father, sister and myself; my brother is an alcoholic and a drug addict and is verbally abusive to my father who is 71 years old and is also disabled. My father wants him to move out of the house; is there a specific amount of time, by law, that...

Distant family member [ 2 Answers ]

I have a sister in law who has not spoken to me or my husband in two years. It all came about when she and my husband had an argument by phone. Well the problem is that we all have small children who adore one another and wish to see or at least talk to each other and my sister in law and her...

Removing a family member [ 1 Answers ]

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate area for this topic... I live in Michigan and own my own house. Back in October, one of my brothers asked if he could move in for a little while. He has been separated from his wife for several years and has been living in an over-priced apartment. ...

Remove a family member [ 6 Answers ]

Can I remove an adult family member from my home She does not follow any rules and does not help out or do anything. She comes and goes when she feels like it and is upsetting the house hold

Bad family member [ 11 Answers ]

Hi gang, You all know I'm an old retired dude with a quacky sense of humor sometimes. I have loved being here with all of you and helping people who ask for it.. I've come to see us all as family and I also know we sometimes disagree, and that's fine because we are all different with different...

View more questions Search