Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hello1234567 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2008, 09:56 AM
    Phone Line No Dial Tone, But Works with incoming calls
    I hope someone here can help me with this. I have only one phone line at home,Verizon landline, with a regular phone connected to a wall, and a panasonic cordless 5.8ghz phone with extra handset. Everything works fine 95% percent of the time but 3 times in the last month when I wake up in the morning the phone has no dial tone. When I pick up the phone all I hear is nothing. However, when somebody calls in it works fine. Their calls DO NOT go straight to voicemail or anything, the calls come in just fine. After I receive that one call in the morning, then the phone is back to normal and everything is OK. Of course when I call Verizon they say they check the line from the office and there is no problems and tell me to call when it happens again. Every time I try, someone calls or something and then I can't get verizon on the line fast enough, so I am coming here for help. Does anyone have any ideas? Ive tried all the basic troubleshooting, disconnecting all the phones, plugging them back in one at a time, and so on, and still it does not work until someone calls me. As far as I know this has only happened overnight, between lets say 11pm -8am, but it could be happening during the day without me being aware.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Mar 25, 2008, 10:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hello1234567
    I hope someone here can help me with this.
    Disconnect the cordless phone (cut off the power) for some weeks, daily between 11 PM and 8 am, and see if the problem stops. Your cordless may get activated at night in some way, and occupies the line till the computer at Verizon cuts your outgoing line off (temporally). Incoming calls may activate the line again.
    And during the day your line will be fully operational, so Verizon can not find any problem.
    Success
    ;)
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2008, 10:14 AM
    First a question:

Is it worse when it has been or is raining?

When it's raining, do you experience any crackeling or static on the telephone line?
    XxRoosterXx Posts: 44, Reputation: 9

Mar 25, 2008, 10:33 AM
    There are a number of things that could be wrong. It really depends on what kind of circuit you have. Is it strictly copper or does it come from a pair gain system? I have had trouble calls for this very reason and I isolated the trouble to a pair gain card in the field. Have you tried dialing out when you have no dial tone? Most people don't realize that dial tone is not a requirement to make phone calls. It's an added feature that lets people know that it's working. It could also be a high open. Just means that one side or both wires of the pair are close to being broke and sometimes very hard to see. I would keep calling because they won't know you have trouble until you do so. Plus you will have documentation that it's an ongoing problem. Good luck.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2008, 11:57 AM
    Oxidation on a terminal somewhere might clear on a ring. But it doesn't have to be inside the house. He might check dial tone at the NID when he doesn't have it in the house to try to isolate the problem. After checking it outside, check it inside again

Another possibility is a shunt caused by spiders or whatever. These can get much worse when it get's wet. They might clear on a ring too.

I'm voting for number 1 unless there is more info provided.

I'd provide Verizon with the RENs of all the phones added up. There is probably a 1/2 ringer or (1/2 REN) in the NID.

You need to determine if it's inside or out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landline phone DSLyes but no audio dial tone [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, All of a sudden (high wind weather went through the other night). Coincidence maybe. Now singlr line phone system has DSL that still works but audio / dial tone do not work. Unplugged all phones and plugged back in one at atime and still no dial tone. Opened box on out side and...

Phone has no dial tone, but wires in house connected [ 2 Answers ]

Okays people can call and they hear the phone ring and ring, but my phone has no dial tone and won't ring, but if I were to pick up the phone and someone happens to be calling at the same time I can hear it ring. I have att, and could it be the outside box, and if so how would I connect it back,...

No dial tone, but DSL works [ 7 Answers ]

I live in an older duplex that has only one phone jack in the whole place. I'm no longer getting a dial tone, but the DSL (which is obviously plugged into that same jack) still works. The phone company says they get a dial tone at my box outside. I have tried different phones and my TiVo on that...

Phone is active outside No dial tone w/ inside wiring [ 6 Answers ]

:( Older townhome with red green black yellow wires from jacks. Incoming lines are blue /white, orange/white, green/white, blue/red, brown/white, grey/white and vs.versa. All jacks have been disconnected and I have tested the first incoming jack with blue/white, white/blue to the red and green...

No dial tone but phone rings [ 5 Answers ]

I have no dial tone but the phone rings very low when someone calls and when I pick it up it's dead except for another low ring on other end. I live on second floor of garden apt. could the person below me have punctured the line coming up from the NID with a nail or screw maybe hanging a picture...

View more questions Search