Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rmc_mommy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2008, 09:38 AM
    Adhesive removal from table
    I have a pine table with a finish on it. I put a nonskid mat under the table cloth so it wouldn't slide, however, the nonskid mat left a bumpy sticky adhesive on the table and I can't get it off. Is there anything I can use without messing up the finish?
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Mar 25, 2008, 10:01 AM
    Goof Off is great stuf for removing adhesives and other nasty stuff, but it will probably harm the finish. I can think of nothing that would remove the adhesive without doing damage. Perhaps gentle scraping with a razor blade?
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2008, 10:08 AM
    You might try some nail polish remover or other cleaner on a spot that is finished such as a leg of the table that is hidden from view... to test and see if it will harm the finish.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 25, 2008, 10:24 AM
    I think that your best bet is to use plain mineral spirits. It should not dissolve the finish. Acetone and/or xylene are present in some of the products suggested and they stand a pretty good chance of dissolving even old finishes.
    Benjimeister Posts: 83, Reputation: 6

Mar 25, 2008, 10:36 AM
    Goo gone! Works wonders on adhesives and is safe for many finishes...
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 25, 2008, 08:36 PM
    I'm with Bob. Mineral spirits is a pretty good cleaner and desolves most adhesives. Wouldn't try that nail polish remover, its acetone, pretty harsh. Most manufactured furniture has a lacquer finish. Mineral spirits will not harm lacquer.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2008, 01:35 AM
    I agree with the answers above concerning using mineral spirits or the product known as Goo Gone. I have used Goo Gone to remove the rosin residue on a violin. It did no harm to the finish.

You can apply either solvent using a high-quality paper towel or clean, soft cloth. Please be sure to follow any precautionary things on the labels when using any paint products.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2008, 07:34 AM
    Try 90% rubbing alcohol (not the 73%). That stuff works wonders taking adhesive off. Try in a non obvious part to see if your finish can take it. I used it on an old TV screen that would not come clean with windex, etc and it took years of goo off with little effort. Anytime I have any stubborn dirt or sticky anything I use this.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2008, 12:04 PM
    WD 40 works even when goo b gone stuff doesn't and it doesn't harm the finish but to be safe anything you try do as Ohioguy said and try it on a hidden spot first.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bandage Adhesive Removal [ 20 Answers ]

What household products are good at removing the bandage adhesive from the skin and of course are safe to use.

Adhesive removal [ 2 Answers ]

I need to remove some old, but very thin yellow adhesive from a concrete floor. The adhesive was used to glue a carpet to the floor. I have been using diluted muriatic acid and a metal hand-brush ("elbow grease"), but it it really difficult to take it off. It the acid is too strong, it etches...

Old adhesive removal [ 2 Answers ]

I have removed the vinyl tiles in my basement to find this old black adhesive painted all over the floor.I was planning on painting the floor-Would I have to remove the adhesive before I could paint the floor ? If so what is the fastest and easiest way of doing so ?

Stick-down tile adhesive removal [ 2 Answers ]

I have an apartment where I put down vinyl composition tiles (1/8" VCT). The tenant covered about 125 square feet of it with stick-down tile. It's a lot of work, but the stick-down tiles can be removed one-by-one with a heat gun. The problem is, how do I remove the adhesive that remains on the...

Plumbing Adhesive Removal [ 3 Answers ]

[ Can You Suggest A Product That Will Remove Or At Least Soften Dried Adhesive Or Mastic Used To Secure Shower Door Frame To Ceramic Tile Wall. Your Comments Will Be Appreciated. Gandina

View more questions Search