Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bufalo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2006, 08:49 PM
    J1 visa, tax exempt?
    Hello, I am a research scholar working in the US on J1 visa. I am from India. Am I required to pay income tax, etc. I am new here, and not sure whether one is exempt from taxes on J1 visa. I do not know about the tax treaty between India-US for research scholar on J1 visa. Could you please help me with this reply. Thank you
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 6, 2006, 09:45 AM
    Bufalo:

Please download IRS Pub 519 for details. Refer to the statements in Appendix A and B.

I believe you are exempt from all taxes for two years.
    sathisha Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2010, 02:55 PM
    Comment on AtlantaTaxExpert's post
    If he stay more than 2 years he has to pay the all taxes from the beginning or from starting date of 2nd year.
    Please give the answer
    Tiffancy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2010, 06:54 AM

Are j-1 visa employees tax exempted
    Tiffancy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2010, 09:16 AM

Is it the responsibility of the wmployer to report that the student has worked over the 2yrs or the student?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 5, 2010, 12:59 PM
    Tiffancy:

BOTH the employer and the J-1 employee are responsible to determine the employee's tax status under U.S. tax law and/or the tax treaty (if one exists between the U.S. and the employee's home country).
    jeboo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2010, 09:30 AM
    Check out this site it has some useful information on j1 visa

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Income Exempt by US - India TAX treaty [ 10 Answers ]

I have a question regarding the income exempt by the US - India tax treaty. I was a student from Jan 04 to Jun 04, then on a OPT from Jun 04 to Oct 04 and on a H1 from Oct 04 through. I have a W2 from my University (for part of the summer that I was working over there), a W2 from my employer...

Income exempt from tax? (Chinese F1 student on OPT) [ 18 Answers ]

Hi, I am preparing Form 1040NR (or 1040NR-EZ) for my 12-month OPT under a F1 student visa. I am a citizen of People's Republic of China and I received Form 1040-MISC from my employer for the work I did during my OPT. I would like to know whether my income is partially or totally exempt...

Can I Opt Not be considered An EXEMPT individual? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to decide whether I need to file resident or non-resident tax return. Here is my situation: For year 2003 and 2004, I was on F1 and filed 1040 NR with 8843 claiming exemption for the substantial presence test. For year 2005, I was on F1 from 1st Jan to 30th Sep, and H1-B...

View more questions Search