Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ngeorgia Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2006, 07:49 PM
    1098-T form
    What is the use of 1098-T form for international students on F-1 visa (with assistantship). I received such form from my univ. and says some amount. Can I take exemption of that much amount.
    Advise please
    Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 5, 2006, 08:37 PM
    NGeorgia:

If you file Form 1040NR, Form 1098-T means nothing to you because you cannot claim any education credit.

However, some international students who transition from F-1 to H-1 can file as resident aliens and then would be able to claim an Education Credit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1098-T for F1 student [ 4 Answers ]

Hello: I was on an F1 visa from Aug 2004 to May 2005 when I graduated. I paid full tuition for the Spring 2005 semester. I am currently on an H1B visa (beginning Oct 1st 2005). I would like to wait until June and file as a resident under first year choice so that I can get the $4000 education...

1098-t [ 5 Answers ]

Should I file this 1098-T form. I was on student visa the whole year. What is 1098T?

Form 1098-E and Moving expenses [ 5 Answers ]

I received a 1098-E from U.S. Dept of Ed for my student loan. However, I know that I did not pay the interest amount indicated in box 1. In box to the box is check saying that the interest indicated on the form includes loan orifination fees and/or capitalized interest. Will this come back to me...

Which tax form to use? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help with an unusual situation that I am in: I just got married 2 months ago to someone who had just acquired an ITIN. My spouse is from Mexico, and we live in Ohio. 1) Which tax form would I use, the 1040 or the 1040EZ? (I make little money, as I am a...

Which Form? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am confused as to which form to fill. My H1B started in Nov 2004 and bfore that I was on OPT. Also, I originally filed my returns for 2004 using the 1040EZ form, and then later realised that I might have had to use th 1040NR-EZ form. If I am right, how do I proceed. Do I use the 1040X...

View more questions Search