Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pschlosb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2006, 07:49 PM
    Creating An Index in MS Word
    I am trying to create an index for the end of my recently written book, which is currently in MS Word (I am going to eventually convert it to Quark Xpress for layout).

I have tried to follow the directions in the MS Word helpfile but it's not working. Below, I will explain what my problem is:

First, I selected the initial word or words I would like to build into the index file and pressed "alt-shift-x" as the Word helpfile instructs.

Next I brought the cursor to the end of the document where I want to place the index.

Then went to the "insert" drop down menu and then to "index and tables" and to the index tab, as stated in helpfile.

The problem is that when I choose the format I want to use in the "formats" box and then go to finish and click "OK" for some reason the "OK" button is greyed out. I have tried multiple times but am getting the same response.

Does anyone know why the OK button is greyed out in the index and tables box, or perhaps what I may be doing wrong?

Thank you very much.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2006, 03:15 AM
    There must be a different way of doing it in Word 2003 as those steps didn't work for me. What version of Word are you using out of curiousity?

The only thing I can advise is trying looking at some other guides for creating indexes. They might be something that needs to be done but isn't made obvious in the help files. So check out this page and see if this helps at all.
    SHAVED Posts: 275, Reputation: 41

Feb 6, 2006, 05:13 AM
    Hi,
    Try the below link.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=212346
    pschlosb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2006, 08:30 AM
    Theobold and Shaved,

Thank you for your help and interest. I am using MS Word 2000. I have briefly viewed the tutorials you sent me and I don't see an answer to my question. My guess is that is that the index and tables function may not be fully installed and I don't have the disk. I will continue to seek another answer but for now I would have to say that may be the problem. Thank you again.

Regards
    Paul

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Opening index.that file. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I'm writing this thread hoping someone can help me. I was trying to open the index.dat file located in the temporary internet files folder, but using notepad, the information appears unformatted and encrypted. Is there any way (program) to open this file and see the information with a...

Index.that [ 7 Answers ]

Index.dat files,everyone who uses Windows will have noticed them.Apparently the 'real' reason for these files is a bit of a mystery.They are in constant use when Windows is running,that is why you have to exit,before they can be deleated.Some with difficulty,and some just don't want to go.To be...

Help me get rid of http://any-find.com/index.htm [ 4 Answers ]

I keep setting up my web brower to open up at msn.com But every time that I do, it keeps opening to http://any-find.com/index.htm I've used Spy Bot, and Ad aware and cannot get rid of what ever is causing this. Does anyone have a solution? Many thanks.

Index.that folders [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me what I lose by cleaning out the index.dat folders? Will doing this cause me to lose anything important? Thanks

Adding a word and its meaning to Word Dictionary [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I know how to add a word to the existing system dictionary in MS Office 2002. Now I need to know how to add a meaning to the new word which I added into the dictionary. Can anyone suggest the procedure. Thanks in advance. SAI

View more questions Search