Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tallbrian2000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2008, 06:31 AM
    Cold and drafty from ceiling mounted cold air return
    I recently purchased a adobe style home built in 2000 with a Single Roof Mounted combined HVAC system in the Albuquerque New Mexico Area. Directly below the HVAC is the only cold air return duct work located in the ceiling of the Hallway on one end of the Home. A single Thermostat for the entire system is within 2ft of the cold air return inlet.

So the hallway is very cold all winter with warm air rising through the cold air return in the hallway ceiling.

Iam looking for alternative suggestions on how I can improve the Heating portion of my system... or should I consider alternative heating systems.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 25, 2008, 12:21 PM
    The system you have is of poor design but that is the way they install them. I never recommend a damper in a return duct so that is out. There are alternative systems and I recommend contacting a local professional since I am sure they have seen this problem before.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cold air return [ 1 Answers ]

What is the purpose of a cold air return

Cold air return [ 2 Answers ]

I have a newer house that is about 5 Yrs old. The second floor is always a little cooler than the first floor in the winter and hotter in the summer. The master bedroom and bath are always colder or warmer than the rest of the second floor and even more than the first floor. I have tried to...

Cold Air Return [ 2 Answers ]

Good Morning. I have just finished the divisions and gyprock in my basement and I figure I'm going to have some problems since the only cold air return duct I have down there is in my son's bedroom. Right now I have 2 12X16 bedrooms, a 10X11 full bathroom/laundry room, and about an 18X20 open...

Cold Air return [ 1 Answers ]

My furnace has an adjustable louvered vent on the cold air return. All of the rooms have cold air return also. My question is: Should the louver on the furnace be open or closed in the winter? Thanks, Jon

Cold air return [ 4 Answers ]

1930 house 3 stories. Cold air returns go from main floor straight down to basement through galvanized pipe and end about 8 inches from floor. Not connected to anything. Shouldn't they run to the furnace?

View more questions Search