Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 24, 2008, 05:07 PM
    Is tipping mandatory?
    Hi all, I hope this thread is in the right place.

Here's my question;

I ordered pizza today, I wanted it delivered to my house, so I paid the extra $3.00 charge for the privilege.

I also wanted to pay cash, I had exactly $27.00 on me, and the total came to $26.78.

Now, I usually do tip the driver, and I would have if I had more money, but I figured the extra $3.00 for delivery that I already paid should be enough, besides, as far as I'm concerned tipping is left to the discretion of the consumer.

When the pizza delivery guy came, I gave him the money. He counted it, gave me a very mean look, handed me the pizza and left. He didn't even offer to give me my change.

Is this wrong? Is tipping mandatory? If so, when did this change?

I'm so angry right now that I actually want to send an email to the Pizza place and complain, but I don't want to cost the guy his job, even though he was very rude and discourteous. I think they have a right to know that they are employing someone like that.

I'd like everyone's opinion on what they would do.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2008, 05:26 PM
    Tipping is not mandatory but they will get rude.
    They figure they used their time and gas and not consider that you have NO extra money and you could have went hungry if you hadn't ordered a pizza.
    If you caught his name or can describe him maybe order another pizza and give a really good tip so that he realizes that maybe you 'were having one of those days' and make him think twice about his attitude.
    Pets Expert

Mar 24, 2008, 05:31 PM
    That's just it, he is the regular guy that delivers our pizza when we order it. He knows that we are usually good tippers. This is the first time that I didn't tip and right away I get attitude.

I don't think he realizes that he just made a big mistake, no more tips for him from now on!

I'm really upset about this, the look he gave me could melt ice.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2008, 05:35 PM
    Your pizza place charges a delivery fee? Weird...

Tipping isn't mandatory, but it is expected. I had a friend who worked at a Chinese delivery place; they would black list people who didn't tip.

Does the delivery fee go to the driver, or to the store? Or is it split? If the full amount goes to the driver I'd say tipping extra is being generous, but otherwise, I understand his irritation. That's not to say he should have been rude, but I understand.

I'd give the shop a call or send an email if it bothers you that much.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2008, 05:38 PM
    Since he was your regular guy maybe you should switch pizza places.
    Pets Expert

Mar 24, 2008, 05:41 PM
    The delivery fee is given to the driver, with a small percentage going to the other staff (or so I've been told).

The thing that bothers me is that I normally tip, I just didn't have the extra cash laying around this time and I didn't want to pay with Interac and get charged a fee.

I too can understand his frustration, especially because he's always received a tip from us before. I wish I would have said something to him right after it happened, but his rudeness left me speechless (believe me, that's no mean feat!)

I don't think that I'll send an e-mail to his boss, I don't want to get him fired. I will however mention it to him the next time we order a pizza.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 24, 2008, 07:16 PM
    It I get it fast, and it is still hot, I always tip ( and those that read my old posts know I am cheap) But if you don't have enough to do it, you don't and the driver gets over it. With that said, if you were to never tip, I doubt I would have it delivered esp if it is the same driver. ** I have heard drivers confessoin, believe me,
    rpg219 Posts: 504, Reputation: 81

Mar 24, 2008, 09:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg
    Hi all, I hope this thread is in the right place.

Here's my question;

I ordered pizza today, I wanted it delivered to my house, so I paid the extra $3.00 charge for the privilege.

I also wanted to pay cash, I had exactly $27.00 on me, and the total came to $26.78.

Now, I usually do tip the driver, and I would have if I had more money, but I figured the extra $3.00 for delivery that I already paid should be enough, besides, as far as I'm concerned tipping is left to the discretion of the consumer.

When the pizza delivery guy came, I gave him the money. He counted it, gave me a very mean look, handed me the pizza and left. He didn't even offer to give me my change.

Is this wrong? Is tipping mandatory? If so, when did this change?

I'm so angry right now that I actually want to send an email to the Pizza place and complain, but I don't want to cost the guy his job, even though he was very rude and discourteous. I think they have a right to know that they are employing someone like that.

I'd like everyone's opinion on what they would do.
    I'm a server myself,and I would say absolutely;and I`ll tell U why. I get paid $2.15 an hour.The tip U guys leave 2.5% of that goes to the Bartender that Makes My drinks from the Bar.2.5% goes to the host at the door that sits U. That does not leave much when U go to doing the adding. But everyone wants the best service they can get,so pay for it!!

EDIT: I am not the server... hubby is, lol. I left my page up and guess he wanted to join us, hahahahaha!
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2008, 10:31 PM
    People who bring you food are paid poorly by most companies in the USA. If you don't want to switch pizza places, talk to him about it next time. Ask him how he felt, tell him how you felt. The partial delivery charge and a good tip everywhere he goes is probably just enough to pay his bills.

In Amsterdam, I tried to tip. The waiter gave it back to me and said that the restaurant paid him well and that a tip was not necessary. In the USA 20% is the "going rate." Granted, it is voluntary. But there are still jerks who buy $100 dollars worth of food and leave $1.

You were not being stingy or a jerk. You were short on cash, he was having a mood. Talk to him about it. United we stand, divided we fall.
    msk Posts: 59, Reputation: 3

Mar 25, 2008, 02:53 AM
    I think tipping is not mandatory anywhere. Secondly home delivery was not available in many countries especially asian countries. For the ease of sustomers the food chains and even provision stores started home delivery system for which they keep delivery boys. The thing is that delivery boys are paid poorly all over. And to get a better service or quick delivery tipping became a common feature. Even if you go to a restaurant many times you have to pay tip. The bearers or delivery boys started thinking it as their right. Many times I notice if you do not give a tip or pay less tip (less from bearers view) they look you in a bad way and may not even serve you properly next time. That is another thing you complain to the management and he may remove that person from the job. But many places I have seen written "do not pay any tip". I am working in middle east and if I buy any consumer good such as refrigerator, air conditioner etc, they are delivered to our home free. Normally I offer the deivery man some juice or cold drink as a human gesture. If you see minutely, this tipping is present everywhere in some way or the other.
    Pets Expert

Mar 25, 2008, 06:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rpg219
    I'm a server myself,and I would say absolutely;and I`ll tell U why. I get paid $2.15 an hour.The tip U guys leave 2.5% of that goes to the Bartender that Makes My drinks from the Bar.2.5% goes to the host at the door that sits U. That does not leave much when U go to doing the adding. But everyone wants the best service they can get,so pay for it!!!!!!!!

EDIT: I am not the server....hubby is, lol. I left my page up and guess he wanted to join us, hahahahaha!

$2.15/hour, that's absurd. I understand were you are coming from.

The thing is, I live in Canada. The minimum wage in my province is $8/hour. There is a shortage on employees right now, everyone is hiring. No one works for $8/hour, my crazy aunt that wears her underwear outside her pants could get a job making $9/hour or more, that's how desperately they need people.

Also, because he's a driver, he's compensated for gas, and mileage put on his car.

This is not to justify my not giving him a tip, but really, he's not making bad money.
    msk Posts: 59, Reputation: 3

Mar 25, 2008, 08:22 AM
    Altenweg: I think you have mis understood my answer. Nowhere I have justified this type of behaviour of delivery boys. What I say is you live in Canada, I work in middle east but the common thing is that the behaviour of delivery boy you have mentioned is similar to what we see here also. Even if you do not pay a single penny as tip, they are supposed to deliver the order to your doorstep since they are paid for that. No matter what the salary may be of these boys, their mentality remains the same all over.
    squeaks77 Posts: 113, Reputation: 19
    -

Mar 25, 2008, 10:13 AM
    In Nevada, the servers are taxed at a minimum of 10% of their total sales for tips. We also have a minimum wage of $5.25 (I think that's it), and establishments cannot pay any less than that, tips or no. I try to at lease leave 10%, but if I have good service it can go all the way to 25%. Conversely, if I get bad enough service I will leave a pittance.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2008, 11:57 AM
    That's the first I've ever heard of servers earning the minimum wage; most times they earn less than half. I don't see how their income tax can fluctuate based on their tips. The government also realizes that servers don't claim all of their tips to begin with; I've known people who make an extra $50-150 per night on tips alone.

Either way, it wasn't right for him to give you a dirty look. I try to give a few dollars as a tip when I go out alone. But it also irritates me when a restaurant automatically charges 15% for a party of 8 or more. My extended family and I have gone out and when the waitress tacks on the 15% automatically, it always ends up being less than we were going to leave anyway.
    Pets Expert

Mar 25, 2008, 11:59 AM
    Remember, I live in Canada. If you are working it is illegal for them to pay you less then minimum wage unless you are on commission.
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2008, 12:00 PM
    Tipping is never mandatory, unless they specify a percentage of gratuity before you order.
    As a food service employee, tips are not expected, they are worked hard for, I work my buns off to be a sweet and helpful as I can, when I can do something that will help or say something nice, I do. Believe me it means a lot to just make someone smile but when they feel like tipping you for your good service, of course it's better. We need to put good service back into our society.
    I go and get a coffee and always tip after my coffee is made and tasted and the service is looked at. Many people go and get a coffee and just put the tip in the cup after they pay, but before they see the product and service, I think it's wrong. I go to eat and I always tip the server, if it is bad service I don't... I think you need to earn what you get and accept it with a fair shake...
    Here is a spin: I find that most non-tippers are women
    rpg219 Posts: 504, Reputation: 81

Mar 25, 2008, 12:16 PM
    Everyone check again... hubby is right on this one... minimum wage is for hourly work... servers are considered to be under the commission workers. Their money comes from what they are tipped... not the hours that they work.

I always tip something... even if the service is bad. Look at it this way... if you do not tip a server, then they actually just paid to serve you. They have to tip the host and the bartenders... no matter what you tipped them. If your bill is, say, $30... then the server has to tip the host $0.75 and the bartender $0.75... so if you only tip the server, just say again, $2... then hubby brings home $0.50 to pay the bills tonight... not so good, huh?

Then add to it the hourly... for six hours of work... he makes $12.90... which amounts about to his taxes... so he basically has no check at the end of the week.

I only started tipping as well as I do when I learned the business and how it works... makes you feel bad for them. No way in H3LL would I put up with half the crap he does... for just a few cents.
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2008, 12:20 PM
    I agree, and in Oregon, we get minimum wage, and taxed on tips...
    I make much more than minimum wage, only because we have a shared tip jar, we don't serve at tables (I do) but it isn't our system. I agree if there is bad service, really bad, I do not tip, but if it is just mediocre I think a little further into why maybe it wasn't fantastik... like what her/his situation may be or something. But down right rudeness is unacceptable for someone to be SERVING you!
    Pets Expert

Mar 25, 2008, 12:29 PM
    Here is the law in Canada. Only the following people are exempt from minimum wage requirements;

(I) a salesperson, other than a route salesperson, remunerated in whole or in part by commission, who is engaged in soliciting orders, principally outside of the employer's place of business, for goods or services that will subsequently be delivered or provided to the purchaser,

(ii) an automobile, recreational vehicle, truck or bus salesperson,

(iii) a manufactured home salesperson,

(iv) a farm machinery salesperson,

(v) a heavy duty construction equipment or road construction equipment salesperson,

(vi) a person employed by a person who builds residential homes to sell those homes,

(vii) authorized to trade in real estate as a real estate broker under the Real Estate Act,

(viii) a salesman registered under the Securities Act,

(ix) an individual holding an insurance agent's certificate of authority under section 470 of the Insurance Act who is compensated for activities performed under that certificate entirely by way of commission income,

(x) an individual who has attained the age of 16 years and who engages in a direct selling business within the meaning of the Direct Selling Business Licensing Regulation (AR 190/99) under the Fair Trading Act on behalf of the holder of a direct selling business licence established by that Regulation,

(xi) a land agent licensed under the Land Agents Licensing Act,

(xii) an extra in a film or video production, or

(xiii) a counsellor or instructor at an educational or recreational camp that is operated on a charitable or not‑for‑profit basis

(A) for children or handicapped individuals, or

(B) for religious purposes,

This is for Alberta, Canada, which is were I live and the pizza delivery man lives. He does make minimum wage plus tips.
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2008, 12:36 PM
    A tip is a personal thank you for service, as an extra thank you, never mandatory ever unless specified before the service begins.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

When can I stop mandatory IRA withdrawals [ 1 Answers ]

My birthdate is 07/08/48 I will be 59 1/2 on 01/08/08. I started withdrawals from my rollover IRA using one of the IRS substantial equal payment rules. My first annual withdrawl was made on 07/02/03 & my 5th was made on 01/06/07. I know by IRS ruling that I cannot make unlimited withdrawals until 1...

Is child support mandatory? [ 1 Answers ]

When seeking a divorce, do you have to ask for child support or are you able to waive your right to support? My husband and I are disagreeing about this issue. He has custody of his 8 year old son, in his divorce papers it states that his ex is to pay $100 a month in support which she has not...

401 k mandatory withdrawel [ 2 Answers ]

Where do I find and what's the formula that determines how much I have to withdraw FROM MY 401k now that I'm 70 1/2 years old? Rich Parry

Non mandatory sentence [ 1 Answers ]

My Husband has caught his second drug case, and he has a state parole violation and that is a year. Ok now he go 1 1/2 to 4 for his new case. Now his attorney told us that if he does at least 3 to 6 months of his new case he would be able to get prerelease is that true? His sentencing is non...

View more questions Search