Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    christian011408 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2008, 03:50 PM
    Adoption with past criminal history
    We are currently in the process of adopting an infant. 15 years ago I was arrested of a felony for shop lifting. The charge was removed and there is no current criminal record on file. Myself and multiple employes have checked, so I know this to be true. Will the FBI criminal background check pull my past arrest up and if it does how will it affect my adoption.
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2008, 04:47 PM
    I'm sure the FBI can pull up anything and everything on anyone, honestly, but I don't know if it will affect your chances.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Mar 24, 2008, 04:49 PM
    You need to talk to your lawyer/adoption agency about this.

It COULD affect you, if only in the fact that you withheld the information.

However, being arrested and being CHARGED are 2 different things. It's doubtful that it will affect anything---but to be on the safe side, you should speak to your lawyer.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 24, 2008, 07:35 PM
    Why are the FBI investigating it??

I guess you mean a fingerprint card, which has nothing to do with a background search, it merely proves your id, if you have ever been fingerprinted by another name before.

It is the background search that is done from any ID they find. It can be done by either a private company or though the police records check, NCIC. While yes, any explunged record is available, it is not released for any reason other than national secuirty background search, and/or police or law enforcement background check.

Now they can also do personal background checks, talk to family and friends, old neighbors and the such,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Criminal History [ 7 Answers ]

I have been told that after a 10 year period - a person does not have to disclose their criminal history on employment applications. Can anyone confirm this statement.

Criminal history [ 3 Answers ]

How can I help my husband get a job. He told his xwife I'm going to kill you but because he was angry she was cheating on him to the custody of kids and let put him in jail.

Criminal Background History [ 1 Answers ]

At the age of 20 while attending Job Corps), I was arrested for fighting and received an "Attempted felonious Assault" misdemeanor. A few months later I received another misdemeanor for "Obstruction of the peace" I am now 36, and I lost my job which I have been on since before 9-11, therefore...

Can a misdemeanor from the past effect me now due to a criminal background check? [ 3 Answers ]

I received a misdemeanor for possession of marijauna. I had to seek a lawyer and go to court where the judge told me that I was on a year parole and if I didn't get into "trouble," the conviction would be expunged from my record. I am appyling for a job and want to know if this will appear on...

Can a theft under $50 be expunged from criminal history? [ 1 Answers ]

I was arrested in 1975 for theft under 50 and released by fine. That incident showed up on my criminal history (that is the only thing I have ever been arrested for) as an update in 2002. Can this type of charge be expunged in the State of Texas?

View more questions Search