Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    orgenm Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2006, 01:43 PM
    Slow drain
    :(
    New sink just installed in the bathroom but it drains very very sluggishly. The installer snaked out the elbow once, and he advised using liquid plumber. (Another plumber once told me never to use Draino anywhere.)
    Any ideas?
    I suspect that the clog is from powdery tile grout that somehow got into the drain when they were doing tile work in the bathroom. Would liquid plumber even work on that?:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 6, 2006, 07:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by orgenm
    :(
    New sink just installed in the bathroom but it drains very very sluggishly. The installer snaked out the elbow once, and he advised using liquid plumber. (Another plumber once told me never to use Draino anywhere.)
    Any ideas?
    I suspect that the clog is from powdery tile grout that somehow got into the drain when they were doing tile work in the bathroom. Would liquid plumber even work on that?:
    I am no fan of putting harsh chemicals down your drain. Especially if you're on a septic tank. Besides they only seem to work in TV commercials. Most clogs occur in the lateral,(horizontal ) line in the wall leading to the stack. If all the plumber checked was the trap and then advised you to pour Liquid Plumber down the drain instead of clearing the line himself then he wasn't much of a plumber.
    To clear a lateral line that's blocked first remove the "J" bend from the trap.
    Now send a snake up the traps tail into the wall. Put out about 7 feetv of snake. Crank the snake around in the line to loosen any grout that may be in there and hardened up. It may be the grout has set up and hardened in the drain line. This calls for a power snake with a cutter tip to bore into the grout and break it up. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slow drain? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello my name is kristin and my bathtub is draining extremely slow. I have tried the lliquid products and they are not working I have also tried using a plunger and that does apsolutely nothing. I have a feeling that it could be plugged because it does not have a hair catch. Any suggestions?

Slow Bathroom Sink Drain - but Tub and Toilet Drain Fine [ 4 Answers ]

I am hoping that someone can offer a suggestion to solve my problem. We recently purchased a 60 year old home. The sink in one of our bathrooms drains completely fine until the water has run for about 5 minutes and then all of a sudden it starts to back up and then drains very slowly. I have...

Slow basement drain [ 3 Answers ]

It started when I went camping over the weekend and left the a/c on, only to come home to a wet basement. Just in the laundry room where the drain is. I realized it was the tube from the a/c blower/furnace. I mopped it up and poured hot water into the drain. That didn't seem to work. The drain...

Slow drain upstairs [ 3 Answers ]

Both my tub and sink drain very slowly upstairs. They each have their own pipe that runs to the vertical drop. I'm wondering if maybe they are not vented properly, or something else. The pipe running to the verical drop is galvanized pipe. The sink is about 1 ft from the veritcal drop, and the...

Slow shower drain [ 1 Answers ]

My shower drain is draining very slow. I cleaned out the trap, I adjusted the drain plug assembly, I even took out the cleanouts in the main drain and ran a snake through it. But the drain is still slow. Could it be the vent, because it's the only thing I haven't checked yet. If it is the vent...

View more questions Search