Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    4980worker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2008, 08:54 AM
    buildup a sill plate
    Since my engineer changed my shear wall spec's, I need to change a 2X4 sill plate to a 3X4 (or 4X4) dimension. My problem is that all the anchor bolts and hold-downs are in place along with an installed cripple wall. My thought was to add wood epox to the existing 2X4 sill plate to get to the required 3 or 4X dimension. Since the hardened wood epox will be stonger than the original wood it should be acceptable. Will this work ?
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Mar 24, 2008, 09:10 AM
    You should get your engineers approval to do this so you have a record of it in case something happens.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 24, 2008, 03:40 PM
    Amircca correct that you should get engineer approval no matter what you do. My suggestion would be to get connecting nuts, cut existing bolts off at half the length of the connection nuts, install the connecting nuts, then install threaded rod to extend the length of the anchor bolts. Weather or not this is do able depends on the size of the anchor bolts which dictates the length of the connecting nuts. I would think the engineer would want the anchor bolts to extend completely through the sill plates. He's not likely to approve your "home made" laminated beam.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing rotten wood sill plate, studs, sheathing etc. [ 11 Answers ]

I recently bought a house. Along the front exterior wall, the former owners had build up a rock wall flower bed. It was about 1.5 ft high, 26 ft long and 2 ft out from the wall and filled with dirt. Though they had placed plastic between the dirt and the exterior wall, I was suspicious. I dug out...

Replacing a sill plate [ 2 Answers ]

On a recent home inspection the inspector noted wood damage to a section of the sill plate at the font wall of the basement near the base of the stairs; replacing the damaged wood is advised. Can you replace a sill plate or a section of the sill plate in a home that's 64 years old?

Decorative Swith Plate or Wall Plate and Switches [ 5 Answers ]

We're looking to replace our standard switch plates with "decorative" plates, mainly in the kitchen backsplash. We have seen plenty of options for the plates, from pewter to copper to nickel, etc. Are there options for the actual switches themselves? Can we get switches, such as simple light...

Sill Plate [ 5 Answers ]

When building a structure, what are the pro's and con's of a pressure treated treated sill plate and a bottom "Shoe". I have heard that I should use just the sill plate, and others say put another plate on top of that one.. I am wit's end as I need to have this built ina few weeks and before I...

Drywall with no sill plate for support [ 1 Answers ]

I am finishing my basement. It has the superior wall system which includes furring strips every 16 inches vertically, but no sill plate or top plate to support the drywall horizontally. Is this a problem? Specifically, should I try to install some sort of sill plate to provide support for the...

View more questions Search