Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    philipb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2008, 07:08 AM
    Moen facet leaking at central valve
    I have a moen facet for the shower and tub. Recently I have had to make the bath tub more friendly for the disabled which included adding an attachment which allows the water to go into a hand held sprayer arm. Yesterday while using the attachment, the water started to leak from the primary handle which controls water temperature. Any ideas on how to fix. This is a moen single valve control head.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 24, 2008, 07:44 AM
    Hi Philipb:

Check out this pic.. I think it may be your valve. I suspect the cartridge is gone by what you have described and needs to be removed/replaced.

Here, just need to shut water supply to the valve and then remove trim cover plate, then remove the copper clip, then YANK the cartridge out and go get yourself another one.

OR, moen guarantees their faucets for lifetime... call 1800buymoen with replacement part number and they will send it to you for free (15 days wait) OR for $12.00 they will two day express it to you (shipping included). If can't wait then call a local plumbing supply house and see if they have the part in stock (most do).

Let us know how it goes.. ok?. Mark

If this helped, please RATE THIS ANSWER. Thank you

Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf moenparts2.pdf (277.3 KB, 446 views)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 24, 2008, 08:11 AM
    You are in luck, Mark is right on with his Moen advice. If I have a choice I always go Moen. Had trouble opeing Mark's image so maybe mine is the same. Installation Help / Animated Tutorial - Installing the Moen 1225 / 1200 Cartridge Your new hand held unit has nothing to do with this problem. The leak out the front pretty much tells me the "O" ring has probably failed. Before getting a new part (free) I'd pull the cartridge, claen it, grease the inside of the valve body and the "O" ring and reinstall. If it still leaks then replacement of the ring is in order.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 24, 2008, 10:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    You are in luck, Mark is right on with his Moen advice. If I have a choice I always go Moen. Had trouble opeing Mark's image so maybe mine is the same. Installation Help / Animated Tutorial - Installing the Moen 1225 / 1200 Cartridge Your new hand held unit has nothing to do with this problem. The leak out the front pretty much tells me the "O" ring has probably failed. before getting a new part (free) I'd pull the cartridge, claen it, grease the inside of the valve body and the "O" ring and reinstall. If it still leaks then replacement of the ring is in order.
    Great advice Bob,
    Let me add a little to it. If the cartridge's hard to remove Moen makes a cartridge puller, see image) to pull those stubborn suckers out of the valve body. Do not use any petroleum products on neoprene "O" rings grease will eat up neoprene. Use a silicon based lubricant such as Magic Lube by Aladdin Products, Sarssota, Fl. Good luck Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 24, 2008, 01:22 PM
    I always specify plumbers grease but missed it this time. Good catch Tom, petroleum doesn't get along with neopreme.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Diverter valve, Moen faucet [ 3 Answers ]

I have an older model Moen faucet. This evening, we were bathing our daughter in the sink and was using the spray hose intermittently (uh... cause she pooped in her tub!) That's when we lost all water flow to the faucet. Water only comes out of the sprayer (when I press on the sprayer...

Loss of hot water in Moen Shower facet - single, pull handle [ 8 Answers ]

I have lost significant pressure in my shower equipped with a Moen single handle pull out and rotate - R or L. I have a 2nd shower with identical unit - swapped cartridge - no change. Pulled out the posi-pressure valve on the hot side and found some debries, no change in pressure, may be worst....

Moen shower valve [ 1 Answers ]

I have no hot water coming out of my shower valve but the sink next to it is red hot. Can you please help my wife is going to kill me She needs hot water Thanks armand

Diverter valve for Moen faucet [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I need to replace the diverter valve (1225) on the kitchen faucet. Do I need to remove the entire faucet to do this? If so how do I do this? Thanks

Soldering a Moen shower valve [ 4 Answers ]

I'm new to this forum and have a question concerning the best way to solder a Moen model 62320 shower valve. Do I need to remove the cartridge? I was afraid it would get too hot and melt the o-rings. How do you know how long to heat the joint before you apply solder. It seems some of my joints are...

View more questions Search