Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    staggvocals Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2006, 02:08 AM
    Consumer Fraud.. Please Help!
    Hey guys and gals.. Here's my problem..

I sent my laptop in for repair two weeks ago.

The problem I was having was that the power cord would not stay plugged in to the back. The plug-in hole had gotten wallowed out over the past two years.
    Well, after inspection, they told me they were going to have to send it off to Massachusetts to get repaired. They said they were going to have to replace the entire motherboard to fix my two problems.

My other problem was that my touchpad was starting to become a little unresponsive. Its like the sensitivity had gone down. (Yes, I checked all my settings prior to reporting that problem).

Well...

They get it back to the local store from the repair center saying everything was OK.

Now let me go back a little bit.
    Before took it to get repaired I used the little proggy I've offered here before, Belarc Advisor, to create a COMPLETE system profile. Serial numbers and everything.
    I did the same thing immediately after I got it back home..

Here's the problem:
    My motherboard, according to Belarc Advisor, has not been changed. At least I don't think so.
    The plug in the back is very tight now. Works great, but my touchpad is still acting the same erratic way it did before I sent it in.
    Belarc's profiles, the before repair AND the after repair profiles say this:

BEFORE REPAIR:
    Board: Compal 08A0 32.22
    Serial Number: CND4240X4T
    Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
    BIOS: Hewlett-Packard F.11 04/30/2004

AFTER REPAIR:
    Board: Compal 08A0 32.22
    Serial Number: CND4240X4T
    Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
    BIOS: Hewlett-Packard F.11 04/30/2004

See the difference? Me either. Its exactly the same.
    Here's what the note said on my repair receipt. I quote exactly:

"Received unit back from repair center. They replaced
    the systemboard and the battery. They also restored
    unit."

Guys, I think I've been had. They think they are dealing with a computer illiterate.
    And to top it all off, they put a 5 inch scratch in the laptop lid.

I'm pretty upset here and I'm thinking of filing suit if, in fact, I do find that they screwed me.

Here's MY ACTUAL QUESTION-----------

I know that the same TYPE motherboards have the same model numbers. But, please answer this:
    Even though the model number is the same, does that mean the serial number would be the same as well?
    I'm pretty sure all serial numbers are different.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know something ASAP. I want ALL your best professional opinions before I call them Monday morning.
    I'd love to see 100 replies on this one.

I've posted this same question on a technical board and 18 out of 19 replies said that serial numbers ARE always different!
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2006, 04:17 AM
    Have them return to old parts to you.
    Did they replace or reoair mother board this this the question you will have to ask.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2006, 05:18 AM
    HI,
    I agree with the other answer. They have probably repaired the motherboard, not replaced it. The serial numbers would be different. Best of luck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 5, 2006, 09:10 AM
    Ok, they said that they replaced the board and it appears they only repaird it.

What was the charges on the bill you "paid" did you pay for a new board or not.

If they did not charge you for any service or repair then there is no issue except they did not tell you honestly what they did to repair your problem.
    Or the local shop thought they replaced it and the main office merely fixed it.

So the basic for fraud will be in the money you paid. If you paid 300 for a new board then you will have a uite.

More detail on what the itemised bill you paid actually said you paid for.
    If this was a warranty repair and you did not pay for the service, then there is no fraud that has any legal recourse snce there is no loss.

Feb 5, 2006, 10:53 AM
    This was a warranty issue. I paid for a 3 year extended warranty.
    My touchpad was acting erratic, and they assured me that THAT problem is ALWAYS motherboard related.. also the A/C jack in the back was bad.
    They assured me that to fix both problems the motherboard would have to be replaced.

Well, I get it back and my touchpad problem is still there, the motherboard serial is exactly the same. I've got it in writing that they replaced the motherboard. But the truth is that they did NOT replace it.

I paid no money at the time of repair.. my warranty took care of that.

What about the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act governing written consumer warranties. That's federal law.

I've got written and dated verification that the board was not changed as well as a statement saying that it was. They did not fix all problems that my warranty covers.

I do believe that is fraud. But I'm no lawyer.

Help.. PLEASE advise!!
    If you are a lawyer when you post, please tell me. I appreciate all opinions but if I know you are a lawyer the opinion will count even more because you are educated in the law and not just expressing your opinion.

Thanks!
    Expert

Feb 5, 2006, 11:27 AM
    If the problem fixed??
    Please note on some models the serial number of the board is re-set to original serial number config. Please review the follow page

http://www.ps-2.org/mirrors/eprm/epr2f/7249.htm

And what problem is not fixed ? I thought you said that the computer now worked correctly? If it is not working correctly because you do'n't have a new board, or just don't have a new board that you think it should have. And also if it is not fixed and still not working properly have you talken it back to the shop to have it repaired.
    And they fixed your problem. It is very possible that the local repair shop also thought more was needed to be done that had to be done. At the local level often they merely replace parts to fix any and everything.

And I doubt that your written warranty says they have to replace parts if they are not working properly. I am sure it merely says that they will either fix or replace.

If the problem is not fixed you will have a issue with them, if the problem is fixed, I can't for the life of me not understand why you are not just happy it is fixed and appear to be going though a lot of trouble to try and find a reason to sue these people who fixed your lap top.

So I guess what I am asking?

1. What is still wrong with the computer, what is not working properly?

2. Have you taken the non working issue back to the repair shop.

3. And if you have taken it back what are they saying about getting fixed?

4. And if it is working correctly what is the real issue here and what do you want the computer company to do? And if so, have you told this specificly to the computor company and given them a chance to respond to what you want done.

Feb 5, 2006, 11:43 AM
    The problem with the A/C jack in the back is fixed.
    The problem with my touchpad is NOT.

Initially they told me that both problems were motherboard related and that they were just going to replace it to fix both problems.

I get the computer back and the A/C jack problem is fixed while my touchpad is still acting like it did before.

The serial number is the same.

I doubt anyone at a rapair level can change a motherboard serial number. That is what makes everything uniqe if having its own serial number. I've asked technical friends of mine all over the country about the serial number issue and every one of them say it wasn't changed if the serial number is the same.

I've tried calling the service center to see what they could tell me about my problem, but I've gotten no response.

If they'll fix everything and not just SAY they have everything would be OK.
    But if they are going to try and shortcut me and try to save money by saying they did something when they didn't, I'm definitely going to call them on it and sue them. THAT is not right.

But again, if they'd fix everything, even if it didn't require a motherboard change, I'd be totally happy.
    Its just that I'm not happy when someone lies to me telling me they did something when they didn't.

The warranty says they must FIX problems that are covered. You are right, they don't have to replace parts if they can fix them. But when they say they did something and didn't just to try and get my computer out the door, that's when I get MAD.

Thanks for your replies so far.

PS - I'm not the suing type. I'm not just doing this to get money or cause problems. I'm a peace lover but I WILL stand up for myself.
    Expert

Feb 5, 2006, 12:13 PM
    Ok, sorry to drag some questions out of you, but without enough information it is hard to tell a person where they stand or don't stand.

Normally before you start law suit action, ( not required but it looks better) if you give the place of business two chances to fix the problem.

You do have a basic for a law suit againt them ( not sure if you can win the value of the computer plus damages but that is where I would start)

You will need to have the computer checked at an independent shop prior to the suit and will need to have a professional testify in court that the board was not changed and that the problem was not fixed.

It should also include a summary of his charges to review the computer and an estimate in fixing the computer back to working condition, and/or also changing the board as stated in your note.

The court could likely if they feel you were cheated or lied to give you the cost of the computer plus damges.

Now at least I know most of the local judges here, if you did not give the other shop a second chance to fix it right, they normally only award you the cost of repairing it correctly if you have already had it fixed.

So if you have not served the business with a certified letter stating the problem is not fixed, stating the issue with the serial number and told them what you expect to be done to fix these problems, a law suit may be a little early to actually win much besides the computer just being fixed.

Official notice and an opportunity to respond and fix would normaly be in my opinion the next step.

I will note most of my experience is in criminal law not as much in civil beyond debt collection.
    klmgb Posts: 114, Reputation: 13

Feb 5, 2006, 12:20 PM
    FRCHUCK

The link you gave shows how to restore the SYSTEM S/N when you replace the system board. Every mother board should have a unique serial number and when the board is changed the serial number changes.
    Expert

Feb 5, 2006, 12:31 PM
    Thanks, this was a link that our churches computer geek expert gave me when I asked him. I can't find an attachment in a email personally.
    It was his opinion that the board could still have been changed and it show up on display as the same. He did not know why they would change it to make it show that, but after about 3 minutes of what I determined to be "speaking in unknown language" and we are not penticostal, I just asked him if it was possible or not.

This was a link he gave me to explain that the serial number display can be altered, ( if it is not I would not know if it is or not)

And I will add this from the legal side, if the other party can get at least one expert to testify in court to perhaps a judge who does not know anything about computers that this was or could be done, then it can confuse the court as to the truth.

Feb 5, 2006, 05:04 PM
    I'm going to call the store Monday morning and tell them what's going on. I'll go from there.

Thanks everyone for your answers and opinions.
    I'll let you know what I come up with.

Thanks and God Bless..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Consumer Electronics Shopping [ 1 Answers ]

My business and personal interest has to do with consumer electronics and technology of all types (car, home, audio, video, computing, communication, etc.) On the business side my clients are companies like Sony, Pioneer, Panasonic, LG, Samsung, and others like them, who make these products. It...

Consumer Bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a new bankruptcy procedure in Chapter 7 matters due to debts that involve credit card obligations?

View more questions Search