Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1STNewHomeOwner Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2006, 06:19 PM
    Retaining wall
    Hi all I have a 1.9 metre drop in elevation from my grade line on my home to the back alley and was wondering what the specs of lumber has to be tobuild a retaining wall, sections will still be 8 feet. What size posts and what thickness of planks do I have to use, and finally how far up towards my house do I have to keep the wall on the sides?
    cdnk5 Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Feb 4, 2006, 09:11 PM
    Tough to give an answer as it's a pretty vague description of your layout. That sounds like a pretty big wall though. Don't think you could go 1.9m in a single wall unless you're using concrete. More likely to do several steps to reduce the force acting on the wall. Also pretty sure you will need much closer spacing than 8ft. At my last house in Calgary I had about a 4ft drop from my garage off the back alley to the house and I did it in 2 steps and used 4x6 posts every 4 ft.

Best bet is to get an engineer who could give you the exact requirements to be safe.
    1STNewHomeOwner Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2006, 10:32 AM
    Thanks for the response I was planning on 6by6 posts 4 feet apart and keeping my fence sections 8 feet so the fence posts will be full lengths and the middle support posts will be 4 feet high and I think I need at least 3 anchor posts for the wall itself not sure. These would be cemented 6 feet into my lot and lag bolted to the support posts on the wall itself, still not sure how far to carry the wall on the sides towards the house.
    roadmanjim Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2007, 05:36 AM
    When I was growing up, we built many stone walls (New Hampshire). One of the lessons that I took away from that experience dealt with the issue of water. If there is not sufficient drainage behind the wall, it will become a dam and a cubic foot of water weighs a lot more than a cubic foot of soil. So, do your homework and take steps to allow ground water to escape from behind the wall.
    Food for thought.
    jsnbrd Posts: 26, Reputation: 4

Jul 8, 2007, 12:00 PM
    roadmanjim hit the nail on the head hydrostatic pressure will tear down your castle any day. cdnk5 also mentioned an engineer. He is correct as well. You are creating two things here a liability issue for yourself and a water damn. You need reinforcing a correct wall thickness and mix design. You can go about it by contracting an engineer, for an engineer this is a small project. If you bargain with an engineer he may cut you a deal. Research the pressure of the area you plan to apply to your wall then an engineer can run a couple of calculations to provide you with an amount of reinforcing you'll need the mix design of the concrete and the thickness of your wall, not too mention water dispensation.
    "The factor of safety against overturning may be defined as the moment of the resisting forces (reinforced concrete) divided by the moment of the overturning forces (soils and hydrostatic pressure), both with respect to the axis about which the wall would overturn." Jensen Chenoweth

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question(s) about replacing a Railroad Tie Retaining Wall [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have some time off this summer and I was thinking of replacing a rotted-out, railroad tie retaining wall we have in the front yard. I'd like to replace it with block. Here is the setup. From our driveway, there is a concrete path that curves to the front of our house (the driveway / garage...

How to go about retaining temporary custody of my four year old niece. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am A 30 year old married mother of three wonderful if not fun children. My sister has A beautiful ,sweet and very talkative four year old. For the last two years I have seen my beautiful 22 year old sister destroy her life with drugs. It started with her drinking A whole heck of A lot and...

Above ground pool retaining wall [ 2 Answers ]

Please send me information regarding retaining walls for above ground pools. I am having a difficult time with my community and my above ground pool. I am going to have to install a retaining wall around me entire pool, as well as back fill dirt Could you forward any information that you may...

Retaining back nut. Whu! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, this is my first post (and its going to be a stupid one!) I recently realised that the cold water tap on the sink in the bathroom was extremely loose and I discovered that what I believe is known as a 'retaining back nut' was broken. It is black and plastic and screws onto the tap just...

View more questions Search