Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Mar 23, 2008, 06:16 AM
    Relaxation and anti-anxiety techniques
    I have a very stress-filled event coming up this Tuesday. I was assaulted about a yr and a half ago, and have had to wait until now for it to come up for trial. Because of the events leading to the assault and the things that followed, I have been having anxiety and panic attacks. I used to get them when I was younger, and at that time they were controlled with meds. Because of other meds I have to take now, I can no longer take a lot of the meds available.

Now that my court date is creeping up on me, I am in major panic mode. I feel dizzy, disoriented, even sick to my stomach to the point where I feel I'm going to pass out.

I want to be able to maintain my composure on the witness stand, but I get panicked at the thought of the whole process, as I've never even been in a courtroom in my life! I have tried some herbal remedies which help some, but not a lot. I need some help with trying to relax and stop my mind from racing when I'm contemplating what is going to happen when I'm in the witness box.

I should also mention that I can't do a lot of exercise due to the injuries I suffered. If anyone has ANY tips I would greatly appreciate it. Anything from breathing techniques to pressure points, to whatever else there is to offer to keep me calm and focused. As I mentioned, it's crunch time now, so I will take any advice out there!

Thanks so much!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 23, 2008, 07:58 AM
    Anxiety Panic Attack Resource Site - panic attacks and anxiety awareness

This website may be able to help you. It seems to have a lot of information on both anxiety and panic attacks, plus a forum you can join to ask questions.

I have heard that acupuncture is a great help for anxiety attacks and may be an instant assistance to you seeing as your court date is coming up soon.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Mar 23, 2008, 08:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle
    Anxiety Panic Attack Resource Site - panic attacks and anxiety awareness

This website may be able to help you. It seems to have a lot of information on both anxiety and panic attacks, plus a forum you can join to ask questions.

I have heard that acupuncture is a great help for anxiety attacks and may be an instant assistance to you seeing as your court date is coming up soon.
    Thank you! I'll have a look at the site for sure. Since it's an extra long wkd. and everything is closed here, acupuncture isn't an option right now. I shouldn't have waited this long to ask :rolleyes: Thanks so much!
    blackblue Posts: 145, Reputation: 8

Jun 16, 2008, 05:17 PM
    When I had a 3 day anxiety attack, I did research and found this supplement called "L-Theanine" Since I've been taking it I have not had a panic attack and my anxiety fades away within 20 minutes of taking it.It's a miracle pill for me( not sure if it would work for all though)

You should try some, you can pick it up at any health food store and they might even a have it at a vitamin store.I take it at night because that is when my anxiety kicks in and my panic attacks usually arise.

Here is some info on it if you are interested:

L-Theanine Unique Anxiety Reducer and Mood Enhancer Increases Alpha Waves and Alertness

Other than that positive thinking,deep breathing and reassuring yourself that everything will be OK will help.

Good luck with everything!
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 16, 2008, 05:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by blackblue
    When I had a 3 day anxiety attack, I did research and found this supplement called "L-Theanine" Since I've been taking it I have not had a panic attack and my anxiety fades away within 20 minutes of taking it.It's a miracle pill for me( not sure if it would work for all though)

You should try some, you can pick it up at any health food store and they might even a have it at a vitamin store.I take it at night because that is when my anxiety kicks in and my panic attacks usually arise.

Here is some info on it if you are interested:

L-Theanine Unique Anxiety Reducer and Mood Enhancer Increases Alpha Waves and Alertness

Other than that positive thinking,deep breathing and reassuring yourself that everything will be ok will help.

Good luck with everything!
    Thank you! Even though the court date has long passed, and I didn't end up having to take the witness stand, because of a plea bargain, I suffered from anxiety attacks off and on for years. A scary thing to deal with. I will check out the link you provided, and possibly give them a try if I can find them. I'm in Canada, in a relatively small city, and sometimes, either some of the herbal remedies aren't approved here, or they have to be a special order. Hopefully this is one that the health food stores here have in stock. I appreciate the info! :)
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2008, 04:27 AM
    Hi Starby, I'm sorry to hear you've been going through so much... I hadn't realised.

This is what I've done for myself in the past, when I was frightened by a panic attack:

Lie down with your hands placed comfortably over your stomach and begin to breath deeply and slowly, raising and lowering your stomach in rhythm with your breathing. Continue breathing like this until you begin to feel more calm and relaxed, then gently remind yourself that it's all right to be feeling completely at ease in that moment. Keep breathing... continue relaxing...

And keep smiling :)
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 30, 2008, 04:36 AM
    Thank you Frangi, I appreciate that! Actually it was my ex that assaulted me, and he ended up taking a plea bargain, so I never had to take the stand. He ended up walking away with a $500 fine, and a restraining order for a yr. Made me very angry!

My ex's sister recommended exactly what you've just suggested, and that does help me some. I think when I get into "panic mode", I forget to breathe. I constantly have to remind myself that is what I need to do, otherwise I hyperventilate, and it just gets worse. Thanks for you input! Nice to hear from you again! :)

(ps: I now call "M" aka "Franny"... "Batman" I like to change his name every now and then! LOL!)
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2008, 04:51 AM
    Yowie, that's a bit light, isn't it? No wonder you're angry about it... I sincerely hope you're free of him, at least.

You're a good soul Starby :)
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 30, 2008, 05:03 AM
    It was an incredibly light sentence... if you can even call that a sentence. He broke 3 of my ribs, bruised my lung, broke my cheekbone, and made a pre-existing hip injury a lot worse. He forced his way into my house, and stole our dogs, that I had taken care of since we had split. I was only trying to protect the dogs when he did this.

He has since plotted his revenge, and has torn apart my vehicles piece by piece. He has broken off side view mirrors, cut battery cables, broken in to my newest vehicle (I had to get another because the other one was torn up so bad) and stolen things. Just a week ago, I went to my vehicle to find that a huge bag of stinky garbage had been dumped inside, and the only thing that was missing was my registration.

The police are useless! I called them 3 days ago about another incident, where "someone" came into my backyard in the middle of the night and stole about $200 worth of stuff, and vandalized my yard. I have yet to hear back from the cops! It's really frustrating. I live alone with my dog, and I'm constantly on guard, wondering what will happen next!

Crazy people hey?! I can always count on my friends on AMHD to keep me company when I get a little freaked out though! :)
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2008, 06:17 PM
    I'm trying to take that all in, Starby... that's a lot of fear and violence. If he's already caused you serious harm and there's a restraining order, shouldn't that be enforced? If you live in a small town, is it difficult to ignore each other?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2008, 06:23 PM
    Meditation has proven to change the way you react and think. It does take retraining your brain and body and mind. Using different techniques of clearing the mind and relaxing the body. The more you practise it, the longer you use it the more you will notice it helps. I taught myself when I was very young how to meditate and used to meditate for an hour or more a day. Since then I have been out of practise and trying to get back into it. It has many more benefits. For your health, physically speaking and mentally. Medications are band aid solutions. Meditation works for all situations and is long term benefits as long as you practise it on a daily basis.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 30, 2008, 06:35 PM
    Sometimes taking back part of your life, working to see that things like that don't happen again, study self defense, along with meditation, and even as noted medication temp to help. I am deeply into martial arts and find it helps a lot in self control, mental control and self confidence..
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2008, 06:39 PM
    Just want to add there are different kinds of meditations, different techniques. If you want to try different ones let me know. I am sure you can find one that works best for you.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 30, 2008, 08:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Sometimes taking back part of your life, working to see that things like that don't happen again, study self defense, along with meditation, and even as noted medication temp to help. I am deeply into martial arts and find it helps alot in self control, mental control and self confidence..
    Thanks Chuck. I have learned a few techniques that I can use. It would be nice to get into martial arts, but I'm on a waiting list for a hip replacement for an injury that occurred several yrs ago, and a degenerative bone disease. I am in a great deal of pain a lot of days. Not only because of the injury, but because arthritis has set into it now too. Pain killers are necessary just to get through the day, although I try very hard not to take the recommended dosage, because I hate them. Somedays I need to take the recommended dose just to be able to walk.

That is why the assault made me so angry. Every broken bone I get, the arthritis gets worse, and the more pain I'm in, and my ex got a whopping $500 dollar fine for my daily pain, and continues to mess with my property. He used to be a great guy, until he got into heavy drug use without my knowledge, and is a totally different person now. So, it really would be a little hard to defend myself against him, if he should choose to do something like that again to me. It sucks!
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 30, 2008, 08:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by frangipanis
    I'm trying to take that all in, Starby..... that's a lot of fear and violence. If he's already caused you serious harm and there's a restraining order, shouldn't that be enforced? If you live in a small town, is it difficult to ignore each other?
    I do live in a very small town Frangi. It is inevitable that we run into each other occasionally, although I steer clear of the places where I know he frequents, but that isn't always foolproof either. Not to mention, a friend and fellow drug user of his, lives directly across the back alley from me. I have my suspicions that it is not always him himself doing the damage to my property. I believe he has asked others to do it, so he doesn't get caught breaking his restraining order. It's all a big mess no matter which way you look at it. :rolleyes:
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2008, 09:07 PM
    Still trying to take it all in Starby... omg...
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 30, 2008, 09:21 PM
    Well here's just another nugget. I'm sorry, but every once in awhile I need to vent about it! My ex's new girlfriend is a real piece of work. She has threatened to "take me out"!! I no longer go out to my fave pub for karaoke, or to watch a good band, for fear of them being there. I am afraid to walk from my car to the establishment, or even go into the washroom by myself.

Lastime I went, she was there, and came flying across the room at me because I had called the cops as I was required to do if I saw him out drinking, because he has a non-consumption order, and I could've been charged if I hadn't called. It took six big guys to keep her away from me. I've never spoken a word to her in my life, but I guess she figures I am somehow getting in the way of hers. It's just one big mess!

My ex's family bought me a plane ticket to go on a cruise with them this summer, but unfortunately because of circumstances, that is going to be delayed for awhile. They are so disapointed with their son, brother, and father, that they feel the need to make it up to me. Just knowing that they are there for me is good enough for me though. :)

Edit: The cops would not take her threats seriously, and have not done anything at all to protect me against her or him. I still haven't gotten a call from an officer for the incident that happened last week.
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2008, 09:30 PM
    Your inlaws and a cruise sound nice Starby :)))

If they're looking out for you in some way, at least you have them to lean on. We all need someone.

It is a mess though, isn't it...
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jun 30, 2008, 09:54 PM
    It sure is! But I love my in-laws. My ex was a great guy, and had never spoken a harsh word or lifted a finger to me. After several yrs he got into a group of young people when he was promoted to head management at a major oilfield company. He wanted to impress all of his employees, because he claimed he was going through a mid-life crisis, and got into drugs with them. Everything went downhill from there.

He got fired, we lost our home, my parents had loaned him upwards of 30 grand to try and keep the house, which went into foreclosure anyway, and lost it all. My stepson whom I had raised, ran away and actually hopped a plane illegally, and went back to the UK, where he was originally from. (Scared the hell out of me, cause I didn't know where he was for over a week)

We had bills coming out of our A$$ from everywhere. I didn't know he had maxed everything out, because he always took care of the bills, or so I thought... my mistake! He lost his vehicles, and pretty much everything we owned due to drugs! He was making $15 grand a month, and none of that went to pay any bills. We even had to spend 2 months carrying candles around and buying ice for a cooler to keep food cold because the utilities were cut off. I even had to go to the local food bank with his son for food. I still have creditors coming after me because of his selfishness.

I wish I would have never met him! But, on the other hand, I wouldn't have my 3 step kids and grandbaby, and other family members that I love so much. I miss them all terribly, and don't get to see them often, but at least we are all still in touch. I also reeaaalllyyy miss our dogs! They were like my babies too, and I worry about them, because I know he will do selfish things before he feeds or cares for them. :(
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2008, 12:04 AM
    That's an awful lot he's put you through Starby... it's to your credit you've maintained such a great sense of humour and yourself respect. What a disaster drugs can be in your life.

That's a beautiful do in your avatar by the way :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brainstorming techniques [ 1 Answers ]

How can you narrow your topic to a single spoke or to a sub-header of a spoke on the map?

Brainstorming Techniques [ 1 Answers ]

If I narrow my topic for an Essay by narrowing my topic to a single spoke or a sub-header on a linear map, how does this type of prewriting activity prepare me for outlining?

Separating techniques [ 1 Answers ]

How do u extract sucrose from sugarcane in crystallization?

What's the best Anti Spyware and the best Anti Virus? [ 4 Answers ]

Just curious as to what works best for you? Take care, Happy Holidays to you and yours

Relaxation Video ? [ 1 Answers ]

Have you ever seen one of these? It shows beaches, waves & sounds. I was thinking of getting one but would like more info. Do you have one or seen one, what's your opinion? Thanks

View more questions Search