Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sleepytinge Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2006, 06:19 PM
    Shared drain line issues
    We are redoing the master bathroom in a house we just purchased. We have the washer drain pipe tied in with the shower drain. The shower drain is within 3 feet of where the drain goes below the slab. There is a vent going up to the roof in the middle of the washer drain line. When we run the washer, the water is backing up into the shower drain. It seems to start coming out as bubbles first.
    I have tested with running water through a garden hose into the washer drain at full blast and there is no backup. Could it be the detergent bubbles causing the backup?
    Would a second vent closer to the washer help? Or is it just the higher volume from the washer not able to go through the drain as it is? We have 1.5" pvc pipe for the drain lines.
    Thanks for your help. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Feb 5, 2006, 02:06 AM
    It appears that you have a partial clog downstream from the shower and washer. Here's how the scientific part works: the "bubbles" are a sign of water hitting bockage, and then backing up, so that's clue number one. What's more important is that the washer is a pumped appliance (meaning it gets rid of its water using a pump, rather than relying on gravity), which leads to situations like yours. Here's how it works: the drain line is only partially blocked, so gravity-powered wastewater seeps through slowly; but it gets through before enough of it has arrived at the blockage to cause major problems. The washer pump, on the other hand, has two major factors: a) it's pumping a LOT of water into the line, and b) it's pumping it VERY FAST. As a result of so much water trying to get through the narrow opening in the blockage so quickly, the water builds up at the blockage very quickly, sort of like a holiday weekend traffic jam (except that I would never want to spend my holiday weekend in the place where that water is headed ;)). With nowhere else to go, the water backs up out the nearest fixture - in your case, the shower.

This also explains why you could not reproduce the problem with a garden hose: it does not produce the volume and velocity that a washer pump does. It also explains the bubbles you're seeing; they're merely the symptoms of blockage.

Solution: The drain line should be snaked.

Good luck,
    Moishe
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Feb 5, 2006, 02:07 AM
    Oh, and by the way, most codes require 2" pipes for both washer standpipes and shower drains. Why do you have 1-1/2" pipes?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to find a drain line siutable for new toilet? [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to add a half bath to an exterior space which could be enclosed. The new half bath that share a wall with existing wet bar with sink and ice maker drains in that wall. How deep should I dig down before I can find a main drain line under the exterior wall?

Washing machine drain line [ 2 Answers ]

Bought a new place, rather small which has no current space for laundry. We are planning on adding addition which will be usable in 12 months but in meantime want on site laundry. There is utility building 30 feet from house which I have already wired and want to put washer/dryer in that. Existing...

Using existing tub drain line in concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing a new whirlpool tub in place of an existing conventional tub. The old sink drain terminates into a concrete slab. The new sink drain will be at least 2 feet from the old. What are my options? Is there anyway of tieing in the new drain into the old drain without taking up all the...

Washer drain line slope/heigth? [ 4 Answers ]

We have a 40 year old house in the country. Our washer drains into a 1 1/2" line through our home's back wall and underground for about 35 feet. Then the line runs out of the ground and out into the yard, terminating about 50 feet from the house, draining in the yard. Other older homes in our...

Vanity drain line and water supply [ 5 Answers ]

Tom, I have a couple of questions for you. I am installing a double simk vanity. What is the standard for the drain line coming through the wall, as far as how high off the floor, and how far through the wall should it protrude for the trap adapter etc. same thing for the supply lines coming...

View more questions Search