Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kichubhai99 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2006, 06:17 PM
    I am on H1B and Wife on F1-Visa for 2005
    Hello ,

For 2005 year the complete year I was on H1B and I got married in July and my wife is in Student Visa (F1). She has started her OPT in December 2005. I made around 50k+ and she made around 3k for the whole year of 2005

I have a couple of questions,

1) What forms do I need to fill this year:confused: .

2) should I file jointly and save on taxes because I stand to gain $2K:) when I filled the tax calculator for 1040EZ.

3) if I file her along with me in 1040, can I fill next year 1040NR for her and 1040 for me ( Married filing separately)so that she can claim her Social security and medicare taxes( she stands to gain :) around $3500 in social security taxes before she gets H1).

This get me confusing because when I requested the SS taxes for myself last year, I had send my federal returns, paycheck and I20's etc..

So if they see that my wife had filed jointly will they question her why did she file differently this year. We tried telling the employer not to hold taxes but they seem to be ignorant saying "we dont know about u r taxes status so please dont bother us":mad: .

I will greatly appreciate if any one was on that status before and what did they do in my case.:)

Thanks in advance:)

Happy Tax season

Kichubhai99
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 5, 2006, 12:02 AM
    Kichubhai99:

There is no such thing as a happy tax season! They are ALL long and hard! The best I can hope for is a profitable one! :)

That said, file jointly with your wife as resident aliens using Form 1040EZ. It should not affect her exemption from Social Security and Medicare taxes as that is driven by her F-1 visa status, not whether she files as a resident alien.

Once you do this, however, she cannot switch back to filing as a non-resident alien for 2006 (not without the IRS' permission, which will not be forthcoming without a very good reason).

Feb 16, 2006, 06:36 PM
    Thanks Atlanta Expert
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 16, 2006, 09:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    Kichubhai99:

There is no such thing as a happy tax season! They are ALL long and hard! The best I can hope for is a profitable one! :)

That said, go ahead and file jointly with your wife as resident aliens using Form 1040EZ. It should not affect her exemption from Social Security and Medicare taxes as that is driven by her F-1 visa status, not whether she files as a resident alien.

Once you do this, however, she cannot switch back to filing as a non-resident alien for 2006 (not without the IRS' permission, which will not be forthcoming without a very good reason).
    Kichubhai99:

See my previous answer above. The item in red is NOT CORRECT! Your filing status does affect your right to file a claim for the Medicare and Social Security tax refund.

Sorry for the confusion!

Feb 17, 2006, 10:52 AM
    Thanks atlanta expert I did not file taxes yet. So does this mean I would not be able to save taxes and would have to FILE MARRIED BUT FILING SEPARETLY.

This mean that I could not save on taxes for the standard deduction we could include from her income and personal exemption.

Is there a way out that we can do

We file married filling separately next year in 2007 ( I fill 1040 and she fills 1040NR). And then send to IRS. Because we are trying to let the employer know not to withhold taxes but they don't worry about it.

Please advise,

Thanks

Kichubhai99
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 17, 2006, 10:11 PM
    As long as you are requesting or thinking of requesting the refund of Social Security and Medicare taxes, you must file Married Filing Separately on a Form 1040 and she must file as a "Other married non-resident alien".

Once you file jointly as resident aliens, shoe will forfeit any right to claim the Social Security and Medicare tax refund, and will lose her exemption from these taxes.

Mar 6, 2006, 06:21 PM
    I had a chance to check with the IRS office and they had told me on Page 11 of IRS pub519. Under the revocation law, my wife could file jointly this year and the next we file separately and then in 2007( for 2006 returns )she can revocate her status and file for 1040Nr and produce a statement and then claim as a NR.

Since the tax jargoan is little confusing I will appreciate if you check the page 11 in pub519 and help me understand better.

Thanks in advance:)

Kichubhai999
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 6, 2006, 10:52 PM
    Yes, it is possible to revoke her resident status. But the revocation is NOT automatic. The IRS can say no! You have to decide if you want to take the chance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Husband on L1 visa August 2005 [ 7 Answers ]

I am on H1-B for entire 2005. I got married in March 2005 and my husband came to US on 28th July 2005 (L1 visa). I am confused about how to file tax for 2005. 1) Can we file 1040 married filing jointly? Or do we have to file separately? That is I file 1040 and my husband files 1040NR? My...

Tax return for "married" with wife on H4 Visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am in New Jersey since September 2004. So in the calendar year of 2005 I have been a resident of New Jersey. I am on H1 Visa. My wife Came to US in May 2005 on H4 Visa. I have following questions on filing tax return for 2005: 1. Am I a resident alien? Is my wife a ...

Converted From F-1 To H-1/h-1b Visa In 2005 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi ATE, I have converted from F1/OPT to H1 on 8/15/2005. My employer deducted Social Security and Medicare tax for the first 3 months of the year I have worked with my OPT. After 4 months break (didn't work), I continued with the same employer on H1. I have only one W2 for the entire year. If I...

On F-1( OPT ) & H1-B visa in 2005 [ 7 Answers ]

Hello Sir, I was in F1 visa uptill June 2005, & from July 2005 onwards I am in H1-B visa. However I got married to a girl who is a green card holder in May 2005. Now I have come to know that I can file my taxes as a resident alien provided if I do a joint file return with my wife. Is it...

Federal Forms for a F1 Visa to H1 VISA [ 5 Answers ]

I understand many people are in the same boat and I am also in the Same boat as all. Let me present my case and have it clear understanding for all First I was on OPT status from 1st January 2004 to 13th Oct 2004. I changed my status from F1 -> H1B on 14th Oct 2004. Hence my status from 14th...

View more questions Search