Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hockeychick Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2006, 02:58 PM
    My dog isn't eating!
    Hi, I have a question, my 4-year-old dog, Brat, isn't eating. She has been diagnosed with epilepsy and I'm afraid that is the problem. She has had this for about 2 years, or has had symptoms of it for that long. She has just started to do this shaking thing and it is starting to scare me :( . Now she isn't eating her dry dog food that she has been eating since we adopted her, four years ago. I'm scared that she might be really sick. She also stopped eating the regular milk bones she used to love and has loved for four years. Now all she will eat are moist treats. Can you tell me or help me with what is going on with my dog?:confused:That would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!:o

*-*Hannah*-*
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2006, 05:03 PM
    The first question is have you talked about this with the vet? It is extremely rare for a healthy dog not to eat at least as much as it needs. I would work with the vet. Is the disease progressing? Long term, she would be better off on a dry chow. Is she losing weight? Compare her to this chart.

September 07, link to chart replaced with LongLiveYourDog.com - Life Span Study - Rate Your Dog

Her activity level may be down, and she may be maintaining adequate weight at a lower food level. Get back with me. Depending on how she is doing, I may have some other ideas.
    hockeychick Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2006, 08:22 PM
    When she had her first seizure we didn't know what was happening so we did take her immediately to the vet. The vet didn't give us medicine because it has never happened and told us to come back if it started to frequently happen. It only happens every about 4 months so its not frequent enough to get medicine I don't think. Since she has stopped eating her food, about a month or 2 ago, she has lost about a pound and a half. Give or take some. I do have one reason why she might not be eating. I feed my dogs in the kitchen and right now my kitchen is being re-done so we moved them into the next room over. She might be nerves about all the noise in there. But when she doesn't eat even after I moved them I usually take her away from everything and into a quiet room, my bedroom. She continues to not eat. She will eat about 2 pieces at a time and that's the only things she will eat. I also put water into it and she drinks a little bit of it. Mind you it couldn't be the food because she has always eaten the same brand of food and has always eaten it all up until now. She does look like the over-weight dog. But she isn't too over-wieght. I don't know how she got that way because we really don't feed her enough to get fat. But I'm not sure. Thank you for everything. You are big help!
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2006, 08:40 PM
    As long as she is still a little over weight and eating a little, I would wait until your kitchen is back to normal and see how she does. Dogs love their routine, and hate to have it disturbed. That is just as well, because once you have chosen one, the same old chow is usually the best thing for them.
    devi8tor2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2006, 07:53 AM
    My dog is a ***** and is 9 years old she is not eating and I took her to the vet she gave 8 tablets antibiotics tomorrow she finnised the tablets she is drinking water and this morning she fomited. Is she getting better or not. Can any one help me deviator2
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2006, 08:15 AM
    Unfortunately the first course of treatment doesn't always work. Medicine isn't an exact science. Get back with the vet, and let him know what is happening. It may just take a little longer. Let us know how it goes.
    daehnolem Posts: 61, Reputation: 12

Feb 6, 2006, 08:48 PM
    This might sound like a dumb question, but did you give her a bit of food with her antibiotics? Antibiotics in dogs (and in humans) taken on an empty stomach can cause stomach upset.
    fabidaza Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2006, 06:43 AM
    My dog chechy only wants human food. Previously she had dry food without problem but actually she is in heat and for three days she did not want anything. The vet ordered a A/D can and at this moment is the unique food that she want. How can I back to the dry food? Thanks.

F
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2006, 08:24 AM
    I have to take the books' word for it, but they say it is common for females in season not to eat. Didn't stop my Taffy, Aster, Daisy, Peggy, Lola, Tulip, Dawn, Gretchen, or Kate. I have found almost any behavior normal for a female in season. The most common being creative, strenuous efforts to get loose and go find male companionship.

When you and the vet agree it is time to go back to dry chow, do this.
    Put down the dish with what the dog should eat, and give it 15 minutes to eat. Then take it up. Do not give it anything to eat until its next scheduled meal. In a few days, it should be eating what it needs. Continue to check its ribs and adjust the food as needed. This is not easy. I had a Shepherd go 3 days on a few nibbles. I was a wreck, but she was fine. It is almost unknown for a healthy dog not to eat what it needs. Unfortunately, in too many cases, it is less than the package says, and less than the owner thinks the dog should have. Many dogs are quite good at holding out for tastier chow. Like kids, sometimes it calls for tough love.

Dogs that are not over weight tend to eat better. Most of the ones listed above are Labs, typically big chow hounds that eat no matter what. They were all kept lean using the method illustrated in the guide to maintaining the correct weight I posted earlier in this thread. In general, if you can't see a dog's ribs, it is eating fine. If you can see the ribs, and the dog won't eat, see the vet, as you did.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend Pregnant, baby isn't mine [ 28 Answers ]

Hi, I'm in a predicament I thought I would never find myself in and would like your advice on the situation. Im 21 and have been dating this girl for 4 months, she is also 21. A month ago she told me she was pregnant and it was from a guy that she had a one night stand with she didn’t use...

My dog won't drink or eat ANYTHING (isnt active either) [ 7 Answers ]

I have a dog that used to jump, bite and run, but now it seems like he is weak for some reason. He doesn't run like he used to. I give him food and water but he doesn't eat or drink it neither. He has vomit once and this other time was trying to vomit but couln't get it out. I feel like I'm doing...

Why isn't my pet eating? [ 4 Answers ]

My dog is believed to be half pitbull and half someything else.he hasn't eaten in about 3-4 weeks.When I feed him he only eats a little bit and spits it back out whens he's done.He's been eating grass every once in a while.he throws up every two days and its different colors eachtime.His ribs are...

Cat just had kittens and isn't eating well [ 1 Answers ]

My cat sassy just delivered kittens almost a week ago and isn't eating too well... I keep putting healthy dry food and once a day a little wet food in front of her and she sticks her face in it and has maybe a bite or two but that's it. Im worried because I know she needs to eat and stay healthy...

View more questions Search