Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stillpoint Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2006, 11:48 AM
    Washing machine drain in basement backwash
    I want to hook up a basement-level washing machine drain directly into the main sewer pipe leading from the house, which is about 7 feet up off the basement floor, but the water pressure coming from the drainpipe coming out of the washing machine can't compete with the force of the water coming from upstairs pouring down through the big sewer pipe drain on its way to the septic tank when someone flushes a toilet or is taking a shower, and sewer water backwashes through the opening where the pipe from the washing machine connects to the big sewer pipe, flooding the basement floor. Is there another way to hook the drain pipe coming from the washing machine, maybe some kind of valve so the water can only go one way?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 4, 2006, 02:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stillpoint
    I want to hook up a basement-level washing machine drain directly into the main sewer pipe leading from the house, which is about 7 feet up off the basement floor, but the water pressure coming from the drainpipe coming out of the washing machine can't compete with the force of the water coming from upstairs pouring down through the big sewer pipe drain on its way to the septic tank when someone flushes a toilet or is taking a shower, and sewer water backwashes through the opening where the pipe from the washing machine connects to the big sewer pipe, flooding the basement floor. Is there another way to hook the drain pipe coming from the washing machine, maybe some kind of valve so the water can only go one way?
    Congratulations! By opening up the sewer so that you could drain your washer you've opened up a direct route to the house interior from the septic tank and in so doing exposed your family to a health hazard that plumbers have worked to prevent ever since indoor plumbing. You have allowed sewer gas to invade your home. Sewer gas is a health hazard and the methane content makes it explosive. First cap off the opening and contain the gas.
    Next look into a pump that will lift the washer discharge up to the sewer line and third do not connect anything to the sewer main until you have a trap and vent to connect it to. Or you can find another place to place your washer. Good luck, Tom
    suziecox Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2007, 08:43 AM
    Comment on speedball1's post
    Thanks I wasn't aware of the main gases until you metion it I was trying to hook up washer in basement .Suzie

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing machine drain overflow [ 11 Answers ]

We recently built an addition onto our house which includes a laundry room. The plumber installed a washer box with valves and 1.5" drain about 3' from floor. The maytag washer has overflowed right from day one. I have seen some of your replies to other people with this problem and they include...

Washing machine drain overflow [ 17 Answers ]

When the washing machine drains, the drain pipe overflows even after I successfully flushed the drain line with a bladder and power hose. I also flushed the vent system, but there is still overflow. What now coach?:confused:

Replace toilet drain with washing machine drain [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how I would go about taking a toilet drain and turning it into a drain for a washing machine.

Washing machine drain Ptrap [ 4 Answers ]

My washing machine water exhaust tube is connected to a verticle drain pipe for water outflow. At the bottom of this pipe, there appears to be a P-trap section. Attached to the P-trap is a tube that runs all the way up the roof and also down to the ground. It believe that the tube that goes to the...

Washing machine drain line [ 2 Answers ]

Bought a new place, rather small which has no current space for laundry. We are planning on adding addition which will be usable in 12 months but in meantime want on site laundry. There is utility building 30 feet from house which I have already wired and want to put washer/dryer in that. Existing...

View more questions Search