Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    msplumby Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2008, 09:21 AM
    Replacing shut-off valves
    I'm wanting to replace my shut-off valves for my sink and toilet. If I cut off the current connection, I don't think I'll have enough room for a push connect 1/4-turn valve. The copper pipe is 5/8" wide. The copper pipe shouldn't be showing like this anyway, should it? What can I do?

Name:  small shut off.jpg
Views: 4301
Size:  12.7 KB
    Knucklez Posts: 129, Reputation: 2

Mar 22, 2008, 10:23 AM
    Is that valve screw on? It looks like it is.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 22, 2008, 10:34 AM
    Knuck, This is a compression angle stop.
    Plumby, This will be a easy replacement. Simply purchase a 1/2 X 1/4" chrome compression angle stop. Shut the water off to the house and remove the old stop. Now,leave the old 1/2" compression nut and ferule on the pipe and replace the old with the new using the old nut. Good luck, Tom

Mar 22, 2008, 10:59 AM
    I want to replace old eustachian plate and the nut and get it so that the copper pipe is not showing at all. I have 3 of these, 2 for the sink and 1 for the toilet, and all 3 have different lengths of the copper coming out of the wall.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 22, 2008, 12:07 PM
    This makes it a bit more complex because you can't get the old nut and ferule off with cutting the copper pipe and I am not sure you'd have enough pipe left to attach a new compression fitting. The escutcheon won't come off without removing both pieces.Does the pipe have any movement in and out of the wall? They do make plastic escutcheons that look like chrome and can be spread/flexed to fit onto and existing pipe that has an attached fitting but that would still leave you with the old valve and copper pipe showing.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2008, 03:00 PM
    Who is the lousy painter?

Unless you have some wiggle room, like being able to pull the pipe slightly, you have few options.

See what Plating Kits Electroplating Kits Aluminum Anodizing Kits Powder Coating Systems Metal Polishing And Buffing Supplies - Caswell Inc. has to offer. You may be able to electro-chrome plate with a penlike device. I'll let you check out the site.

My plans are to epoxy paint the estucheon black and a worn chrome plated copper angle stop that has an extension.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 22, 2008, 03:05 PM
    If this were me I would not go through the trouble and would just paint the escutcheon, stop and piping all white. Your other pipes may have more length sticking out into the room so cutting and installing new chrome is an option for them. Chances are 99.99% that the copper pipe is sweat fitted inside the wall so unscrewing it is not an option.

Mar 22, 2008, 04:27 PM
    I've decided to just paint it all and let it be. Thank you for all your input! I was hoping there was some trick that I didn't know about.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing shut off valves under bathroom sink. [ 3 Answers ]

I had a problem after I insstalled a new sink faucet. I had a small drip coming from the cold water shut off valve below the sink. No matter how I tightened or loosened it, the screw in front and the knob itself, it would still drip slowly. So I figuered I would just replace the valve. I bought a...

Shut off valves [ 8 Answers ]

This is my problem. I have moved into an older home and I am doing some remodeling and when I went to remove the countertop and sink in the bathroom, I found that plastic piping came through the floor and directly to the faucets. I wish to put a shut off valve on the plastic pipe after shutting...

Corrosion? Of Plastic Stems of Water Shut-off Valves [ 4 Answers ]

In a condominium constructed about 12-15 years ago in Henderson, NV, I discovered 6 out of 8 under-sink water shut-off valves to have badly corroded valve stems, if that term can be legitimately applied to plastic. The "corrosion" was so bad that one valve had failed causing a flood. Since 75% of...

Access to shut off valves [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know if there is a code in sarasota fl that says you must have access to shut off valves in your tubs and if so what is that code and where can I get a copy. Thank you[ Manny

Leaky Shut off valves [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I live in the Northeast and for the first time this past winter, I actually used the shutoff valves that lead to my outside water spigots. Now that I've turned them back on, they are leaking whenever the water line is open. I noticed they have nuts on the front... was I supposed to...

View more questions Search