Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bansal_vandana Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2006, 11:48 AM
    How to file on OPT + H1B
    I was on OPT from Jan 2005 to May 2005 and on H1B from June 2005 onwards. My husband is on H1B and we have a 12 year old son who is my dependent in papers. What is the best way for us to file our taxes and what are the deductions we can claim. I am an Indian citizen. Do we file a join return or should we file separate returns as married filing separately. Can I claim a deduction for my son. My employer has not deducted SS or Medicare for my OPT period. Please advice what to do.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 4, 2006, 11:15 PM
    Bansal:

Both you and your husband meet the Substantial Presence Test (assuming your husband was on H-1B all year). Therefore, you both must file as resident aliens.

You can file a joint return and claim your son as a dependent. More than likely, you will pay the least amount of taxes that way. However, the only way to know for sure is to prepare your return both separately and jointly. A good tax professional will do that as a matter of routine.

As for the Social Security and Medicare taxes not withheld during OPT, as long as you were under a F-1 or J-1 visa while on OPT, you have nothing to worry about.

Feb 5, 2006, 08:21 AM
    Thank you very much for answering my question. I have another problem. My employer is located in NJ and I live in CT. My employer has deducted state taxes for NJ and I have never lived there. How and where should I file for my state tax. Do I pay tax for both the states? What am I supposed to do?
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 5, 2006, 07:03 PM
    You must file for both states: NJ to get your money back and CT to pay taxes. Explain to CT what happened with a cover letter and they probably will not assess an under-wthholding penalty.

Tell your employer to withhold only CT taxes.

Feb 16, 2006, 02:29 PM
    Thank you for all the useful information. Just want to clarify something. On my paystub apart from State W/H NJ I see things like NJ:SDI, NJ: EE SUI and NJ: Workforce. What are these and how do they factor into my taxes?
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 16, 2006, 09:40 PM
    Bansal:

These are special withholdings that are unique to NJ. To be frank, any guidance I would give you would be an educated guess at best.

If you have read my other postings, you have seen that I am modifying my guidance about filing refunds for improperly-withheld Social Security and Medicare taxes. The new guidance is that if you file as a resident alien, you forfeit your right to request a refund of improperly-withheld Social Security and Medicare taxes.

This should NOT affect you, however. I know of no case where the IRS has tried to collect Social Security and Medicare taxes that were not withheld when the exempt person filed as a resident alien. It will, however, affect your exempt status henceforth.

BOTTOM LINE: You will have to pay Social Security and Medicare taxes starting in 2006 and beyond.

Feb 17, 2006, 05:51 AM
    So how can I get refund for NJ:SDI, NJ: EE SUI and NJ: Workforce. What columns these withholdings belong to while filing for a refund?
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 17, 2006, 09:58 AM
    Bansal:

In my opinion, you will not get any refund of these NJ-unique taxes. In NJ's eyes, you are a NJ resident just like everyone else.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

RSC file [ 3 Answers ]

Hi: I bought many educational software title. These titles contain a type of files which have file extension .rsc. What kind of files they are? And how to open them? Thanks.

F1/OPT how to file? [ 3 Answers ]

I graduated in May of 05 with a MBA and have been on my OPT since then. I’m not sure how to file my taxes and what forms to use. Also, being an Austrian citizen I am not sure if there is a tax treaty between Austria and the US, and if there is, how that will affect how I need to file. I have...

That file [ 3 Answers ]

hi pals i m in a desparate need to know about this........as u know DAT files are vidio files but i have some DAT files in the system which dont play the vidio infact the are not vidio files at all.....i found them in yahoo messenger files in the archives.... it is in this files the chat...

How to file a Tax! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, Can anyone help me how to pay my tax. I'm in H1B, just 6 months back I tranfered my H1b to new company, when I joined the new company, they promised me to pay LCA salary, according to that they paid me for last 5 months after deducting the TAX. And now I got a project,...

If I file 1040NR, do I file state as nonresident? [ 1 Answers ]

The title says it all-I worked in several states but I am foreigner. Does that mean that I file state taxes as non-resident as well?

View more questions Search