Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Deck Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2006, 11:46 AM
    Hard drive
    I installed a second hard drive and would like to know how to access it. Thanks.
    topperam Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2006, 04:32 PM
    I'm not going to be the one who can guide you through this to completion. I've gotten a little rusty and worked mostly on very old PCs. Maybe I can help you in providing more info on this.

Is it a new HD? In which case should have a manual and possibly software.
    There may be issues regarding formating it, cableing and jumpers on the drives.

What operating system are u presently using, may be helpful. Fat table issues may apply.

Some HD installations that come with software, if I remember this correctly, have you install the software first and then guide you with prompts on when to actually install the HD itself.
    It may involve re-boots in the process.

More info is needed before one could provide assistance on this.

I'm certain someone with solid knowledge on this can help, but more info is needed for sure.
    qwertyman Posts: 109, Reputation: 15

Feb 4, 2006, 05:51 PM
    I agree with topperam, more info is needed.:confused:

Try and see if you can see it in My Computer... if not try some of what topperam said.
    __________________________________________________ ___________
    Few questions:
    -Does the drive have a jumper setting pin? (make sure its in the right position)
    -Has the hard drive been installed properly. (e.g. tight enough)
    -What Operating system is you computer? (e.g. Windows 98, ME, XP, Max OS X, Linux... )
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Feb 4, 2006, 08:25 PM
    If you have physically installed the drive, and it is visible in the BIOS but not under My Computer, it most likely needs to be partitioned and formatted.

In Windows XP, you can right-click My Computer, select Manage, and then click on the Disk Management console. You should then see the drive and the un-partitioned space.

If you are using something older, like Win 98, you can use FDISK at the command prompt to select the drive and partition the space.
    interinfinity Posts: 142, Reputation: 8

Jan 30, 2008, 12:47 PM
    The second one should be in my computer as a d: e: etc drive. Just make sure it shows up in bios, all jumpers are set correctly and that you have formatted it. Go to drive manager to set it up and make sure that its in the device manager as well

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

Hard drive from a MAC [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, I was just wondering if it was possible to install and format a hard drive from an old apple mac into my windows PC (to save my buying another hard drive). Regards, Navarre

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Hard drive [ 8 Answers ]

The computer I am working on won't boot Windows up all the way. When I turn the computer on it boots up the background then stalls with the background displayed but no icons or anything. I am assuming that my hard drive is bad... if not could you tell me any other diagnoses? Anyway, if my...

Is it a hard drive? [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I'm running a clean computer (no spyware, etc.) but am having trouble starting almost any application (such as Gurunet, NAV 2005, MSIE, Family Tree Maker). Others stop functioning (freeze) after a while - such as Excel. Could this be a sign of a bad sector or HD? Is there a tool to...

View more questions Search