Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    curley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2008, 04:31 AM
    Oil fired Heating system expansion tank
    Hi-
    The expansion tank on my oil fired heating system has lost all the air from it, will this cause any problems or inefficiencies with my heating and can I fill top this up in situ at home myself??
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 22, 2008, 03:20 PM
    First you have to understand a expansion tanks function. When new codes forced us to install check valves and backflow preventers on water service lines that made your water system a closed system. That meant that when the heated water expended it could no longer expand back along the water service line and would build up pressure in the syatem. This would kick off the T & P ,(Temperature and Pressure Relief) valve aqnd the valve would discharge hot water out the relief line. To prevent this we installed a Expansion,(Air) tank on the heaters cold water supply line for some place the water to expand to. You check a expansion tank exactly the same way you check a bladder tank on a pump. You tap the tank walls, if you hear a "clang" you have air inside and the T&P valve's protected. If you hear a "clunk" that indicates the tank's loaded with water and must be removed and drained to recharge it. If it can't be recharged it must be replaced. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Expansion tank [ 1 Answers ]

Hii,please help me,I want to know the physical meaning of " the expansion tank of the chilled water system" and how it works , the theory or principle of its work, its components and any site that can help me, and thanks a lot.

Low water pressure oil hot water heating system [ 1 Answers ]

How does one go about increasing water pressure in a baseboard heating system?

View more questions Search