Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2008, 12:10 AM
    Why, why would I want to be a Christian?
    A homeless couple needed a place to live. I offered my spare rooms and bathroom and said that we could share the rest of the house until they got back on their feet. They asked if I was a Christian. I said that I was raised a Christian but was now a Wiccan. They said that they could not live with me and would rather live in their car because I was not a Christian.

At first, I was hurt. Then I remembered that their attitude was part of the reason I had left the Church. I realize that belief in Christ and acceptance that He is the only way into Heaven is part of their belief system. I had told them my truth and what I believed. That we are all one and that ours is not a better way, merely a different way.

You would tell me that people are not perfect, that they make mistakes. I have had enough mistakes from Christians for now. Next time I meet someone who needs help, I will ask if they are a Christian first. Then I will decide if they are "worthy" of my help. Naah, I'd treat them as if they were family, really, I was just being sarcastic. But why, why in a million years would I want to be a Christian?
    Onan Posts: 55, Reputation: 4

Mar 22, 2008, 12:20 AM
    Wow, that's really strange. I would think a Christian would still except the help and declare it God working in mysterious ways. Or maybe God wanted them to reclaim your soul back to the fold.

I honestly do not know any Christians that have that attitude towards people who have different beliefs. Most of them I know are just flat out nice people. Christian or not I would have excepted the help even if you were satan himself... lol
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2008, 12:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Onan
    Wow, thats really strange. I would think a Christian would still except the help and declare it God working in mysterious ways. Or maybe God wanted them to reclaim your soul back to the fold.

I honestly do not know any Christians that have that attitude towards people who have different beliefs. Most of them I know are just flat out nice people. Christian or not I would have excepted the help even if you were satan himself........lol
    Accept. Except means nearly the opposite thing.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 22, 2008, 12:44 AM
    Obviously, THEY weren't Christian...

Growing up in a pretty-much-fundamentalist-Christian home, as a little kid I imagined Heaven to be populated only by people in my church. A few years later, Heaven became a hotel with one long hallway lined on both sides with closed doors labeled with the names of various Christian churches. The farther down the hall a door was, the more miserable the room. Now I work with Hindus, Muslims, atheists, agnostics, and a few professed Christians, all of whom are very loving and caring people. I've experienced a sea-change in how I think of God and Heaven and all those questions like, who am I and why am I here and where am I going after I die. All these years my God has been too small, stuffed into a little box papered with my personal wants and expectations.

I don't know why you would want to be a Christian. Many of us who say we are Christian have been doing a lousy job of it and have not been inspiring interest in those who aren't.
    Onan Posts: 55, Reputation: 4

Mar 22, 2008, 12:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    accept. except means nearly the opposite thing.
    Whoops!!

It is almost 4 in the morning... lol
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2008, 02:01 AM
    In desperate times, perhaps their faith was all they had, and in their misguided minds, anything too "foreign" was simply too much to handle. I'm christian. Never once when helping people in need have I based my help on their faith or denomination. There are likely many "good" christians (as well as good people of all faiths and belief systems)around you everyday who move through life with quiet, just intent and compassion... but a few morons is all it takes to taint the pool.

Idiots are not limited to any one denomination or belief.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Mar 22, 2008, 04:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by simoneaugie
    A homeless couple needed a place to live. I offered my spare rooms and bathroom and said that we could share the rest of the house until they got back on their feet. They asked if I was a Christian. I said that I was raised a Christian but was now a Wiccan. They said that they could not live with me and would rather live in their car because I was not a Christian.

At first, I was hurt. Then I remembered that their attitude was part of the reason I had left the Church. I realize that belief in Christ and acceptance that He is the only way into Heaven is part of their belief system. I had told them my truth and what I believed. That we are all one and that ours is not a better way, merely a different way.

You would tell me that people are not perfect, that they make mistakes. I have had enough mistakes from Christians for now. Next time I meet someone who needs help, I will ask if they are a Christian first. Then I will decide if they are "worthy" of my help. Naah, I'd treat them as if they were family, really, I was just being sarcastic. But why, why in a million years would I want to be a Christian?
    You did well, Simone!! You offered part of your privacy to help others.
    That they qualified your offer inappropriate to them is their problem, not yours !!!

When there is a collection I always ask if it is for general or specific (Christian) targets.
    There is always a donotion for general targets, but I do not donate to specific Christian targets.
    It are the Christians who are selective there, not you, not I.

As I stated : you did well. No reason to be(come) a Christian!!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 22, 2008, 05:39 AM
    Sounds like a great couple of faith, and I would agree before I was living in a place with someone that practiced witch craft I would sleep in my car also.

You did offer to help and do a moral good for someone in need, but often we have to suffer for our faith,

I am sorry you are offended but it shows how much a Christian faith does to keep itself separate from those who practice unholy faiths
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2008, 07:47 AM
    Reminds me of this:

There was a religious guy that lived near a river.
    One day, the river rose over the banks and flooded the town, and he was forced to climb onto his porch roof.
    While sitting there, a man in a boat comes along and tells him to get in the boat with him.
    He says "No, that's ok. God will take care of me."
    So, the man in the boat drives off.
    The water rises, so he climbs onto his roof.
    At that time, another boat comes along and the person in that one tells him to get in.
    He replies, "No, that's ok. God will take care of me."
    The person in the boat then leaves.
    The water rises even more, and he climbs on his chimney.
    Then a helicopter comes and lowers a ladder. The woman in the helicopter tells him to climb up the ladder and get in.
    He tells her "That's ok."
    The woman says "Are you sure?"
    He says, "Yeah, I'm sure God will take care of me.
    Finally, the water rises too high and he drowns.
    He gets up to Heaven and is face-to-face with God.
    He says to God "You told me you would take care of me! What happened?"
    God replied "Well, I sent you two boats and a helicopter. What else did you want?"
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2008, 10:51 AM

Hi, I am so sorry that you had to suffer these people, one wanders if it was their faith that left them homeless to start with!
    Since when do you ask what faith a person is when there extending their hand to help you, I think you would have been perfectly reasonable if you had said that's private between myself and my God( who ever he may be) .
    I am sure they will live to regret the help in hand that you so generously offered especially in today's society when you have to be extremely careful whom you invite into your home.

The only words I once had with other christians a long time ago now was on my doorstep when they started to dictate rules of their faith to me i.e you don't break bread with none believers was one, then there was the one about you don't give blood not even if your children are die-ing so on and so forth at which point I seem to recall saying something like.. so what your saying is that when your family who should be the most important people in your life needs your blood to stay alive or any one else for that matter, you wouldn't give it, they answered NO I couldn't quite grasp that and promptly asked them not to call again.They were Jehova's witnesses.(no disrespect intended)

I cannot for the life of me see where the problem is, lots of people believe in all kinds of things.. so what,that's their choice and nobody else's business. One of the biggest problems in this world is people interfering because they think they know better and very often there wrong.

Your offer was genuine and kind which is how we are all suppose to behave... TREAT YOUR NEIGHBOUR HOW YOU WOULD WISH TO BE TREATED... well done you did just that

Takecare
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2008, 11:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rphan
    The only words i once had with other christians a long time ago now was on my doorstep when they started to dictate rules of their faith to me i.e you don't break bread with none believers was one, then there was the one about you don't give blood not even if your children are die-ing so on and so forth at which point i seem to recall saying something like .. so what your saying is that when your family who should be the most important people in your life needs your blood to stay alive or any one else for that matter, you wouldn't give it, they answered NO i couldn't quite grasp that and promptly asked them not to call again.They were Jehova's witnesses.(no disrespect intended)
    That is the problem -people relying on a set of church rules to get them to heaven.
    When the Bible talks about helping others it never says the good samaritan or the person he helped, the apostles or Paul or anybody they helped first questioned what religion do you follow. Did Jesus ask any of his disciples, Mary Magdelene or anybody he healed what religion do you follow? People are so stuck inside their mental box of how things should be from their perspective.
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2008, 11:29 AM
    But why, why in a million years would I want to be a Christian?
    Because it gets you into heaven, I guess?
    mr wendal Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Mar 22, 2008, 05:59 PM
    First of all , who is a christian and what qualifies one to be a christian
    Well to be a christian is simply put to be Christ like , when Jesus was here on earth his time was spent helping , healing , feeding and most importantly serving others .Jesus major role in his teachings was not as leader but as a servant , his message was one of love and compassion and his teachings was based on his divine purpose of returning lost man to forgiving father , he came and he died on a cross to take our place for sins that he did not commit
    Secondly to be a christian is to confess that Jesus is lord and to believe that God raised him from the dead
    Many people readily confess Christianity , but they do not live their lives according to Christ like standards
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2008, 06:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mr wendal
    many people readily confess Christianity , but they do not live their lives according to Christ like standards
    Precisely--spending time in a garage does not make you a mechanic or a car.
    Sitting in a pew does not make a Christian.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2008, 11:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Sounds like a great couple of faith, and I would agree before I was living in a place with someone that practiced witch craft I would sleep in my car also.

You did offer to help and do a moral good for someone in need, but often we have to suffer for our faith,

I am sorry you are offended but it shows how much a Christian faith does to keep itself seperate from those who practice unholy faiths
    Witchcraft, Wicca is about helping others (for me anyway.) That may be "unholy" but it feels right.

By the way, I was not offended. I was hurt. I will pray for you, can't help it because you are part of me. Separation is the illusion.
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Dec 17, 2008, 11:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post

I am sorry you are offended but it shows how much a Christian faith does to keep itself seperate from those who practice unholy faiths
    Simon did not suffer for his faith. The couple suffered by turning down the gracious offer made to them out of kindness and compassion.

It shows how the christian faith can be small minded and miss the big picture of how people should treat each other.:rolleyes:
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Dec 19, 2008, 05:35 PM

Christianity should be judged by the standard of Jesus Christ. All of us who follow are less than perfect and should not be used as examples.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2008, 07:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston1 View Post
    Christianity should be judged by the standard of Jesus Christ. All of us who follow are less than perfect and should not be used as examples.
    That sounds like a cop out to me.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2008, 11:54 PM

Witches scare me too. They eat babies.
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2008, 02:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by magprob View Post
    Witches scare me too. They eat babies.
    I thought that was atheists.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What Does It Take To Be A Christian? [ 60 Answers ]

What Does It Take To Be A Christian? So many churches say different things, And I want to know what your opinion is.

On Being a Christian [ 14 Answers ]

What did Jesus tell his disciples they should do? And, if someone does those things, is he then a Christian, or is there something more that he must do that Jesus did not mention? Will all Christians be saved? What does Jesus say about that? M:)RGANITE

What Is Being a Christian? [ 3 Answers ]

I can't seem to understand the different denominations of Christianity. I would like to able to catagorize what I believe in. I believe in God, But I don't think that religion has to be learned in a church. Also I Don't believe God has expectations in what we must do in our lifes and that we can...

Christian [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I am Mich3. I was looking for a Christian page. Is there one here?

View more questions Search