Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tonylucille Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2008, 11:03 PM
    Networking two older Computers with a new Laptop
    I have two older computers running Windows 98 and they are networked together through dual Coax and Ethernet Network cards using the Coax option. I also have a new laptop running Windows Vista Business Edition this is linked to broadband via a Linksys WRT 300N Wireless Broadband Router. Can the three computers be networked together using the WRT 300N? If so do I have to dispense with the Coax and feed each Computer from it's own port on the WRT 300N? Or can one of the Windows 98 computers take a feed from the WRT 300N and retain their Coax link?
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Mar 24, 2008, 07:54 AM
    I've used older cards like that and as long as you're not trying to use the coax at the same time as the RJ45 you shouldn't have a problem. If you have PCI slots in the motherboard on those computers it might be easier to get new NIC's assuming that the new cards support 98. ISA cards with drivers might be harder to find although eBay may yield some results.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 24, 2008, 07:58 AM
    Well, as I recall the specs on my WRT 300N, it doesn't support Win 98, but check the box to make sure. If it doesn't, then you may need to connect the laptop to the 300N wirelessly and use the wired jack to connect to the others via a hub or switch.

Mar 24, 2008, 08:30 AM
    How is the OS relavant in what the router will support?
    Correct me if I'm wrong but 802.3 is 802.3 no matter what OS it's running on. As long as the router has RJ45 ports available it shouldn't matter what you hook up to it.

Mar 24, 2008, 08:52 AM
    Frankly I don't know why some routers only work with some OSes. But that they do. Check the spec sheet for the 300N:

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=6055261542B05

It lists Minimum Requirements of Win 200 or Win XP. Which says to me it works only with the NT based versions of Windows and not the Win 9X versions.

Mar 24, 2008, 10:06 AM
    I saw that before I replied to the message earlier. I took that as what is required for managing the router, not for hooking a computer up to it. 802.3 is listed in the standards that it supports so the OS shouldn't matter. The router documentation for my BEFSR41 makes no reference to Vista or the XBox 360... both of which run just fine on my network.

Mar 24, 2008, 12:03 PM
    Yes, but the BEFSR41 was out long before Vista or the XBox. So I can understand the ommission. You do make a good point, however, that those requirements could be only for configuration purposes. Since the OP already has the 300N, I would give it a try by just connecting the via Ethernet to the NICs. But use the Vista machine for configuration.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting laptop to laptop using crossover cable [ 4 Answers ]

I have recently just bought a new laptop with Windows Vista.. and I am interested in transferring my files from the old laptop that uses Windows XP onto the new laptop. I purchased a crossover cable because I figured it would be the cheapest way to transfer. I am not too sure how to go about...

Marry older man?just a little older! [ 13 Answers ]

:confused: someone keep telling me that it is good for a girl marries a man who is a little older than her! Cause older man knows more how to take care of others,how to respect others... but for young men,what they care about is themselves only!Is that true?I was thinking about that for many...

Networking two computers [ 9 Answers ]

Hi there, Can anyone please let me know how I need to go about networking two laptop computers that are housed in two different places? Both are Toshiba. Thanks.

Computers & networking [ 1 Answers ]

What is FOSS?

Laptop screen repair? Useful life of a laptop? [ 3 Answers ]

I have an IBM Thinkpad X40. Have had it for 3 years Spilt liquid on the screen a while ago and now, although the screen works still, it has a kind of mottled tidemark effect and is dark in places (can also see where drops of water are permanently "stuck" behind the screen). Is this fixable?...

View more questions Search