meecy12 Posts: 133, Reputation: 2

Mar 21, 2008, 06:33 PM
    A really good book
    I need some suggestions for a great book that can make me cry
    dragnlady5 Posts: 88, Reputation: 4

Mar 21, 2008, 06:45 PM
    The Lost Boy: A Foster Child's Search for the Love of a Family
    By Dave Pelzer

I loved this book. It is one when u read it you got to pass it on.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2008, 06:53 PM
    "Atonement", which was recently made into a movie was amazing.

Amazon.com: Atonement: Ian Mcewan: Books

This was an Oprah's Book Club book (lots of stuff from her book club is depressing and worthy of a cry). I bought this one years ago, and remember really enjoying it.

Amazon.com: We Were the Mulvaneys (Oprah's Book Club): Joyce Carol Oates: Books

This is a true story, and very, very sad. If you don't cry when you read this, well, you probably don't have a heart!

Amazon.com: Night (Oprah's Book Club): Elie Wiesel: Books

I've read a few books by Anita Shreve, she's a good writer and evokes a lot of emotion. I think she also had something on the Oprah's Book Club list.

Amazon.com: Sea Glass: A Novel: Anita Shreve: Books

This is my favorite book of all time. It's another true story and amazingly powerful. I love everything about it.

Amazon.com: All Souls: A Family Story from Southie: Michael Patrick MacDonald: Books

Those are just the ones I remember off the top of my head. I'll check my book shelf and post more if there's anything else.

Out of curiosity, why do you want a book that will make you cry?
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2008, 06:58 PM
    Dave Pelzer's 4 books...

A child called it
    The lost boy
    The privilege of youth
    A man named dave

Have all been fantastic.

Other great books are:

5 people you meet in heaven
    For one more day
    The kite runner (so... sad. It's also a movie!)
    A thousand splendid suns

Those are a few just to get you started.

p.s. - I agree with jillianleab's comment about NIGHT, as it is a sad book... but I don't remember being REALLY depressed about it... so I didn't include it in my collection. However, I will read it again and see how it goes.

p.p.s. - I actually got to meet Mr. Wiesel the week I read it!!
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2008, 07:09 PM
    I forgot about "A Child Called It" - I have that one too. I remember it being disturbing more than anything else...

I think "Night" was so sad to me because Wiesel made the book so short - he got to the point quickly and ran with the story. There we no added embellishments, no pages upon pages of explanation, it was direct and brutally honest. He has an amazing writing style, very powerful. I read the book all in one sitting, and I almost never do that! I keep meaning to read it again, but I've got a stack of books up to my knee that I've been meaning to read for the first time! :o

And I'm totally jealous you got to meet him! I've seen several of his interviews, he's an incredible person.
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2008, 07:11 PM
    I DEFINITELY encourage you to read The Kite Runner... the saddest book I've ever read in my adult life.
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2008, 07:18 PM
    It's on my shelf...

My mom works at our local public library, and when people donate books she brings them home for me (I like to own my books and it drives her nuts, lol!). Since many people are in book clubs, they buy the popular book, read it once, then donate it. I've got a bunch of the major titles sitting there... waiting... collecting dust... so sad!

If you liked "Night" you should check out the last book I linked, "All Souls", I read them both at about the same time, so I always associate them together. It's very, very good. There's a second one too, called Easter Rising, but it wasn't as good.
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2008, 07:21 PM
    I just finished Into The Wild... and have started The Memory Keeper's Daughter... so once that's done, I will DEFINITELY read All Souls while waiting for A Thousand Splendid Suns to come out on paperback.

I like to own books as well... but I have to hide them. My buddies will make fun of me. =(
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2008, 07:26 PM
    I have "Into the Wild" coming to me on DVD tomorrow! Haven't picked up the book yet, but I probably will in the future. Let me know what you think of "All Souls" (if by the time you read it you remember I told you about it!), I don't know anyone else who has read it.

I'm a chick, I don't have to worry about people making fun of me for having a large book collection. Instead, it makes people jealous! Like penis envy, but in paperback!! :D
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2008, 07:31 PM
    I have the dvd currently sitting on my desk... calling out to me. I'm supposed to watch it tonight (I finished the book literally... 2 hours ago)... but my friends are dragging me out.

Well, they're coming over... time to put a poster in front of my bookshelf...
    banditsmom Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2008, 04:10 PM
    The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. This book was recommended by my Daughter. It was very hard to read but very hard to put down. It made me very grateful for the wonderful parents I had. I find it hard to believe that these children survived their parents neglect. :(
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2008, 01:06 PM
    Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas by James Patterson

This book made me cry, laugh, and everything in between. I was actually impressed at the spectrum of emotions because James Patterson writes amazing crime novels... this book was a perfectly balanced, beautiful story.

It's a quick read, too...
    Psyche90 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2008, 10:10 PM
    The Lovely Bones is sooooo sad but so good. I broke down within the first chapter of the book. I'm a crier I guess, but it is really good... and sad.
    softbalgrl1331 Posts: 157, Reputation: 10

Apr 8, 2008, 01:55 PM
    Here you go, best books ever:

Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse!

This is a series of books about vampires (yes, vampires!) that took me by surprise. It is a total love story and you will never be able to put it down. I remember reading at 3 AM.. trying to finish it so I could sleep happily! Trust me, you'll absolutely LOVE IT!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is a good thesis statement with any book and another book or movie [ 2 Answers ]

Well do u have a good thesis stament for sny book and movie

What's a good book to read? [ 8 Answers ]

My mom is badgering me, telling me that I watch too much TV. Reading a good book is the only thing that really entertains me other than video games and TV. Can anyone recommend a good book. I'm into action books like the Bourne series which I've read each book twice. The Guardians of Time series...

Looking for a good book [ 10 Answers ]

Does somebody know a book about teenage experiences? Kind of for teengers not the same old boring child stories.

Good dog book? [ 9 Answers ]

If I had to buy one very good dog book which should I buy? I would like one that could give me all the information I need from training to caring for the dog to well, everything.

What is a good US history book? [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for a book about US history in one book?

View more questions Search