Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    homeskillet66 Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2008, 10:47 AM
    Transferring Brinks Alarm System to Non-Monitored System
    I understand that when you cancel your Brinks-monitored security system that they come and remove their equipment (which you apparently don't own) or you can buy all their equipment for $500. The equipment removal exposes unpainted walls and previously-covered holes.

Is it possible to install a new non-monitored system using all of their pre-wiring. Any references to good non-monitored systems would be helpful. Thanks.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2008, 01:26 PM
    Monitoring for systems is optional. Monitoring costs can be less than $10/mo.

I have a wireless system for Personal Emergency Response. Monitoring costs about $22/mo and was $15/mo the first year. I require 2-way voice communication with the alarm company so I can't go for the <$10/mo. I'm not paying $50-$60/mo. Agreed, I installed it myself, but it came pre-configured. I do have to add/delete sensors as the panics are sealed and the batteries cannot be replaced. It's also up to me to troubleshoot it.

I believe the standard reporting system is Ademco and any alarm monitoring service can support that. For reporting, the sensor type needs to be configured for the monitoring system. You may need to provide the alarm monitoring company the 9 digit phone number for 911 for your location.

I'll bet that if you have window switches or wired panc devices, they won't remove them. It's not worth the trouble. They are likely going to go after the keypads and the console.
    They may not even remove motion detectors.

Take a look around at Linear LLC and GE Concord 4 Simon 3 Honeywell Vista 800-309-1009. Both companies I've done business with.

When it's non-monitored, what do you want it to do?
    1) Ring outside bell for 10 min? Our Intrusion/fire alarms cannot call 911 directly.
    2) Call your Cell?
    a) Leave a voice message
    b) Send a text message

Report your findings.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2008, 02:36 PM
    I'll make this a new post rather than an edit. If you buy direct from Linear, you generally get no warranty, so it's in your best interest to find a reseller.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2008, 12:31 PM
    I hate the deceptive practice of the Big Security Companies, "Free", "Cheap", or "$99"
    Systems, some have tricked the Locals into 5 year contract, I know they should have read contract and not listen to some Confidence man . I don't believe you can tell your customer You want to protect them and then lie and steal from them. Did you complete your agreement. Read through contract. I work with Ademco, Honeywell, and DSC Mostly. I love Linear Products, but prefer Hardwired if possible. Do you have wires or is it wireless?
    Like Kiss says you can buy a dialer and have it dial Cell Phone and allow YOU to listen in, NOT the Monitoring company.
    homeskillet66 Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2008, 08:00 AM
    The current Brinks system is hardwired. I would prefer to use the same wires for my replacement system, but will eliminate the $30 monthly monitoring fee. I like the idea of a cell phone dialer. My two-year contract expires in August, which gives me some time to plan the replacement system.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2008, 08:39 AM
    I would use a DCS 832, cost as much as other for basic system, but the Automation Module, Zone Expanders, leaves many systems in the dust. Very Simple? Capable.
    These are the ones I like:
    United Security Products, Inc., Security alarm systems, alarm sensors, sirens, magnetic contacts
    Very reliable, I would make sure it has "Line Seizure", This allows dialing even if phone left off hook(Intentionally or otherwise).
    Need incoming phone line to dialer then from dialer to all phones, and is usually done with 4 conductor cable to Alarm panel( should have had Line seizure) or
    To where phone lines come in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing transformer for Alarm System [ 10 Answers ]

Hello I am wanting to install a new transformer for my alarm system. The old one was taken out by a friend and was incorrectly installed according to him (an electrician). It is a 16.5 V transformer which sat at the bottom of the panel. It has 2 black wires coming from it. There is a place...

Toyota Alarm System [ 4 Answers ]

Does a 2000 Toyota Rav4 have a keyless entry or do they have an alarm with keyless entry?

2002 Honda Accord SE Alarm System Problems [ 1 Answers ]

Lately, my car alarm has been going off at night (multiple times) for unexplained reasons (believe me... I've tried to catch a person or pet that might be causing it) and it's driving me crazy. Has anyone heard of this type of problem with the Accord SE?

Which is the best home alarm system [ 4 Answers ]

We are having a new home built and we would like to install an alarm system. We are so remote it would take a officer 20-40 minutes to respond so we were thinking of using cameras so we can at least see who and maybe get a license plate number. Any suggestions or comments on which systems are...

Smoke extract system & staircase press. System [ 2 Answers ]

I am working for a 35 storey tower. There are smoke extract and staircase/lift lobby pressurisation system in case of fire. Now consultant has already given the CFM required for these Fans, but I have to submit the calculations for the same to the Local Govt. authority. So please help me if...

View more questions Search