Dog
    Dog
    Cat
    Cat
    Hamster
    Dog
    Cat
    Bird

I want a formula that will search Column A and tell me how many different things are in there... in this instance Formula result = 4

Any ideas?
    MaggieMouse Posts: 226, Reputation: 8

Apr 16, 2008, 03:54 PM
    you can look up help in excel-count unique value among duplicates.
    mdosh01 Posts: 64, Reputation: 8

Apr 17, 2008, 06:57 AM
    Enter "Count unique values" in Excel help and you will get two different methods. One is to use a filter, but I'll assume you prefer to use a function. Their example is for comparing two lists. In this case we only have one so you can use the following:

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(MATCH(B2:B9,B2:B9,0),MATCH(B2:B9 ,B2:B9,0))>0,1))

This assumes your list is in cells B2 to B9. There cannot be any blanks in the list for this to work. Don't ask me how it works. I haven't bothered to figure it out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Excel count function [ 12 Answers ]

I am trying to count a large group of cells that are colored depending on the data. For example: I want to count the number of red cells which are faults. I tried the countif but not sure how to set the criteria. Thanks for any help.

The differences between us [ 1 Answers ]

I am wondering if anyone has a hypothesis on why some people are able to forgive and give second chances so easily and openly, and why others cannot?

How could I put 2 conditions with COUNT IF Function and NESTED IF in Excel model [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am a new member, I hope you could help me to complete my assignment tonight, I am stock with "Count IF" function in Microsoft Excel 2003 How could I write the function with this commands: Count if the Tax which is (E15) not equal to 0, then I want to use a nested if with these...

Excel Count Function [ 4 Answers ]

In November 2004 Leif 5233 wrote the following regarding counting cells highlighted in a certain colour: ------------------ Create this function: Function CountCol(SumRange As Range, intColor As Integer) As Integer Dim I As Integer Dim Cell As Range Set SumRange =...

Too many differences [ 17 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been on and off for almost a year now, and before we started going out I was committed to saving myself for marriage. But, about 6 months into the relationship that all went down the drain and he left me broken hearted when he went on a 5 week trip to europe. Now we've had a...

View more questions Search