Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dtrask Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2008, 08:03 PM
    Gum disease or tooth decay
    My grandson had open heart surgery at 15mths old.To cut a long story short,he has been on continuous antibiotics and steroids for numerous infections and so on.He has just turned 7.We have just been told he will have to have all his teeth taken out.Due to everything he has taken and also maybe because of the insulin mother was taking during pregnancy. Will this have any affect on his second lot of teeth and will there be any long term affect.kind regards diane
    daya78 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2008, 08:36 PM
    It is not clear why u have been asked to take out your grandson's teeth.. does he have any gum problem or is he having decayed teeth? Some antibiotics like tetracycline causes malformation of teeth... general debilitating conditions also can affect tooth development. Damage to the permanent tooth bud will depend on when( which age) he was on medication, what medications he had been given and all...
    Don't worry much about it now. We can't do anything on this stage . Wait and see if there is any damage to permanent tooth. Let us hope that everything will be all right.. there are many treatments available now to cover up defects in development.. u can consult a dentist and take Panoromic radiograph to verify the tooth development
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2008, 12:58 PM
    Diane,
    Why does your grandson have to have all of his teeth removed? At 7 he should already have some adult teeth unless his development has been delayed by his health. Is it only the baby teeth they want to remove?

You want to be sure that he has all his permanent teeth. Like daya78 said a Panoramic x-ray will show the location of your grandson's adult teeth, some will be further developed than others but the dentist should be able to see how many are there and their position.

Having all of his baby teeth out at this age could cause an orthodontic nightmare. If the teeth have decay can they not be repaired with fillings? If they are badly decayed pulpotomies (root canals for baby teeth) can be done and stainless steel crowns can be placed for strength.

Baby teeth should be saved as they serve the purpose of holding the space for the adult tooth to come in.

Generally it costs less to remove the teeth but the long term effect must be taken into consideration.

A second opinion might be in order.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hole behind my bottom back left tooth halfway between the gum and cheek [ 2 Answers ]

I have a hole maybe one millimeter in diamater It goes down quite far I can't see all the way in But it is clean inside Its just a hollow area But it looks like a fresh wound I just ate a snickers and I felt some pain So I looked in the mirror It looks like a worm burrowed down into my...

Tooth ache in rootcanal tooth? [ 8 Answers ]

In the last 2 days I have this dull pain in my tooth (really high up, in the gums). It only hurts when I walk or bend down. It is not painful when I drink or eat. I had a root canal on this tooth in 2005 and it has a permanent crown on it. I did have a cold a few weeks ago and was wondering if it...

Hole possibly developing on gum above front tooth following crown [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I had a crown put in during January following a badly chipped tooth. The procedure went fine, it was a little uncomfortable but no real problems. A few months down the line I noticed the gum tissue above the tooth (one of my top front teeth). Was still feeling bruised. It is a little darker...

Exponential decay [ 1 Answers ]

The radioactive decay formula is A = A0(1/2)^t/n, where A is the current amoutn of the radioactive sample, A0 is the original amount, t is the elapsed time and n is the length of the half life. The half life of Sodium-24 is 14.9h. A researcher begins with 100mg of sodium-24. What is the...

View more questions Search