Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LAKERSNY Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2008, 12:20 PM
    1099 nonemployee compensation
    :confused: I am retired. I was used by an automobile dealer to dx cars between dealerships. The dealer sent me a 1099 misc, nonemployee compentation for what they paid me last year. Where do I report this on form 1040? Will I need to set up a business and get a license?:confused:
    Mobea Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Mar 20, 2008, 05:01 PM
    You file a Schedule C and SE. Deduct any expenses that you may have incurred while doing this job. You job description could be "courier" and look up the code for that. You will have to pay federal and social security and medicare tax on this net income also. The net income goes on your 1040. You can go to the IRS website and look up items that are deductible for self employed. No you do not have to get a license for this. You just use your own name and home address as your business name and address.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 20, 2008, 05:54 PM
    Ok, once you are working as a private contractor, you are in business, if your area requires a business license that is between you and your city and is not related to the IRS. If you had expenses relating to your busienss you show this on schedule C.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 20, 2008, 11:52 PM
    You will file schedule C and SE (Form 1040).

Read: Your U.S. Tax Return: W2 or 1099: Employee or Independent Contractor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099 MISC NonEmployee Compensation [ 4 Answers ]

I received a 1099 Misc from my previous employer. I'm wondering if it is correct. Here's some more specific information regarding it: I was fired from my employer, however, as part of my severance package, they agreed to pay my health & dental insurance for 9 months. I then received a...

Nonemployee compensation [ 3 Answers ]

I recently won an Arbitration Award due to FMLA misconduct by my ex-employer, they paid me in 2008, yet sent me a 1099 saying they paid me in 2007, which they did write the check in 2007, but was not receieved until more than a month later. Am I going to be paying a great deal in taxes? One person...

1099 Misc Income - Nonemployee compensation - Tips [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, While doing work as a independent contractor out of town for 10 days for a company, I tipped the hotel cleaning lady 25.00 at the end of my stay. I did not report this as an expense on my invoice to the company. Can I deduct it at all anyway? Also where it is on the federal form that I...

1099 Misc Income - Nonemployee compensation [ 3 Answers ]

I'm in the process of doing my taxes using TaxAct and this income has me stumped. I was laid off my job of 10 years working for a government contractor. After a few months, I was then asked to do some work out of state for another government contractor. I was not their employee, but independent...

1099 nonemployee compensation [ 1 Answers ]

I am GA resident, and got paid (by non profit organisation) $6k in 2006, as Non-employee compensation, reflected in 1099 box 7. No other income in 2006, no W-2. How do I pay taxes and how much... basically, what next?

View more questions Search