Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jordan22655 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2006, 05:40 PM
    5 day eviction
    I live in Virginia. Does anyone know about eviction laws there? My brother received a 5 day eviction notice. What happens if he doesn't leave. Doesn't the landlord have to take him to court? How does this work? Thanks
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Feb 3, 2006, 05:54 PM
    If he doesn't leave the landlord has to file a lawsuit for eviction. Then it goes to trial before a judge. If your brother loses the case the judge will give the landlord a judgment for possession. Then the landlord has to give it to the sheriff. The sheriff will then post a notice on your brother's door, giving him a date by which he has to be out. On that date, if your brother hasn't already left the sheriff will evict him. Go to http://realestate.findlaw.com/tenant to read about evictions in general and then click on the Resources link to get the details for Virginia.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 3, 2006, 08:21 PM
    The notice given to this person by the landlord is the first step at being removed. ( the notice will also have to follow any agreements within the lease or rental agreement also)

And as previously stated, the landlord will then file for court order.
    The renter will be liable for the cost of this also. Here in TN it costs the landlord @90 dollars to file. Here in TN, they will serve the person, and/or post it on the door of the house, The hearing is held within 14 days of filing locally here. At that point, if the renter is not present at court, they are notified to leave and if they don't the sheriff sets up a timie with the landlord. The sheriff officer comes over and stands there while the landlord and people he hires moves everything to the curb.

At least here where I am at, it takes me about three weeks from filing to setting things on the curb.

Once or twice, I have actually offered the person 100 dollars to be out the next day. I tell them I am going down to file and that they would have to leave anyway. It saves me having to go to the court, and gets the person out 2 weeks faster and still costs me the same amount of money.
    jordan22655 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2006, 07:45 AM
    Thanks for the info. This landlord is ridiculous. He told my brother all along that he was going to rent to him for another year, the lease expires March 1st. Then he puts the house on the market and says he has to leave. The rent isn't even due yet, not until the 5th and he filed a 5 day eviction on the 2nd. My brother already toldhim he would be in his new plave by the 20th, long before the lease was up. Seems ridiculous to go to court. They never had a problem before and the rent was always paid on time. He is nuts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kentucky eviction law motion for eviction [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I really need help I bought a house for 30,000 from a lady we have just a one simple page contract basically states I paid 15000.00 dollars down In April 05' and then make payments of 400.00 a month for 36 months Contract has no sell as is in it because at time of sale we the lady homeowner...

Eviction [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: :confused: I have a rental house and the person on the contract has a wife and she has a son that is her not his. Her name is not on the contract. He wants her out. How do I go about doing this? Any help would be great. Not sure what to do in this situation. The house is in Indiana. ...

Eviction Law? [ 8 Answers ]

I sold my property last month to someone and we had a written contract stating that I had 90 days from the time the papers were signed to stay there. After the 90 days however rent would start to apply. 2 days ago I was informed that he sold the property and this other person can move me out at...

FL eviction [ 1 Answers ]

The tenants in my rental home have not paid rent this month. It is now twenty-nine days past due. I have not been able to contact them for three weeks. They are never home and don't answer the phone. What steps do I take in Fl. To evict.

Eviction [ 2 Answers ]

I am renting a home. My lease was up in Sept.05 and now we are renting month to month. I let the landlord know that on the 2nd of the month that I wouldn't have the rent until 2wks from now. She stated that we have until the end of the month to get our things out. Then later on she stated that we...

View more questions Search