Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 3, 2006, 04:11 PM
    Slow Clock
    Hey Guys,

MY computer clock has been losing about a half hour every twenty four hours.
    I first thought the battery was going bad but my neoghbor tells me that the battery either works or it doesn't. So he doesn't know either. The clock resets fine, it just loses time. This seems to be the only application affected.
    Thanks for the assist. Tom aka speedball1
    manutd4eva Posts: 209, Reputation: 14

Feb 3, 2006, 04:16 PM
    I had this it may be windows. If you reboot and press DEL or ESC or whatever your combo is to get into BIOS is the time correct there? As I think it may be a windows problem like I had
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 3, 2006, 04:50 PM
    I went into CMOS and the internal clock was the same. Of course I had just reset it. What next? Thanks Eva, next solution! Tom
    manutd4eva Posts: 209, Reputation: 14

Feb 3, 2006, 05:20 PM
    Sorry mate I don't know maybe Scotty knows? I got to go out tomorrow so I can't ask my mate for you because he sorted out mine.
    Good luck, hope it gets sorted

Utd
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 3, 2006, 05:38 PM
    Hey Speedie have you tried syncing your clock to one of the internet time servers.
    This is very easy within XP, just open the clock and you will (after a pause) get an internet time tab. I use Timekeeper.isi.edu for my time keeping, works like a dream.
    On all other versions of windows it is possible to download a small time sync app that check your time on a reular basis.
    Here's one for example
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 3, 2006, 11:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    Hey Speedie have you tried syncing your clock to one of the internet time servers.
    This is very easy within XP, just open the clock and you will (after a pause) get an internet time tab. I use Timekeeper.isi.edu for my time keeping, works like a dream.
    On all other versions of windows it is possible to download a small time sync app that check your time on a reular basis.
    Here's one for example
    Just downloaded and installed the Atomic clock application you gave me. Looks like it's going to do the trick. I'll be able to tell in the morning. Thank you, Tom
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2006, 06:40 AM
    Hi, Speedball,
    I am so glad you have asked this particular question, because I am now forced to do something I have been putting off for 5 years; either printing out or writing down all my BIOS settings!
    Slow time can be caused by a dying CMOS battery. Just as a flashlight will grow dim, so does the clock slow down.
    Normal life of a CMOS battery is around 5 years, give or take a year or two.
    If you wish to read more about about, and what to do, and what else to check for, here is a good link:

http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto/slowclock.html

If the Atomic Clock works good, then it sounds like a good idea. But, if the battery is really going bad, please have a sheet(s) with your BIOS settings, so you can restore them, if the battery does quit. Sometimes the "Restore Defaults" might not be correct, if any changes have been made since the original.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 4, 2006, 06:42 AM
    Hi Tom, Your neighbor was wrong. Its not all or nothing for the battery. If the battery is weakening it can cause the system clock to slow down. So I would replace it.

I see Ben beat me to it on the atomic clock sync. I use DSClock (freeware) to do the same thing. It syncs my system clock several times a day.

Feb 4, 2006, 06:49 AM
    Fred has a good suggestion about saving the CMOS settings. Here's a utility to do it:

http://www.arcom.com/support/y2k/SAVECMOS.htm
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 4, 2006, 09:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Fred has a good suggestion about saving the CMOS settings. Here's a utility to do it:

http://www.arcom.com/support/y2k/SAVECMOS.htm
    I downloaded it but when I attempt to call it up it starts to load and then shuts down. I thought there was a glitch in down loading so I went back and down loaded it again. Same thing. Any suggestions Regards, tom

Feb 4, 2006, 05:36 PM
    There is a support link at that site, you might want to check that.
    Fergus O'Carroll Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Feb 5, 2006, 08:22 AM
    Its definitely a cmos battery problem ( usually 3v), I've seen it loads of times ( I'm in IT maintenance industry ) , you hould be able to buy a battery in any local pharmancy or photo shop , it won't cost you more that 3-5 quid/Euro /dollars .Take the old battery with you so you are sure you buying the correct one.
    geraldask Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2006, 08:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Hey Guys,

MY computer clock has been losing about a half hour every twenty four hours.
    I first thought the battery was going bad but my neoghbor tells me that the battery either works or it doesn't. So he doesn't know either. The clock resets fine, it just loses time. This seems to be the only application affected.
    Thanks for the assist. Tom aka speedball1
    The system battery is weak.

Geraldask

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Any Clock Experts? [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 35 day Centurion Pendulum wall clock with an hour and a minute keyhole wind-up. Question, the minute key was wound too tight, does anyone know if it can unwind itself or does it need professional attention? _______________________________________ ____________________________________...

Computer clock running slow [ 6 Answers ]

:)My computer time idicater reading has just recently started to read two hours slow on the display. I reset it, and it will read OK for a short time then resume to read two hours slow again. How do I correct this? Is it a clock battery wearing out or?

Clock [ 4 Answers ]

I bought a clock at a yard sale, it has (centurion) on the front, also (Korea), and on the back it has Korea stamped on it. It looks old, it is wooden, is a 35 day clock, with key and key holes for the time, and the chime, I think. It has a pendulam. I can't find any clocks made by Korea, or...

No Clock light [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2003 Honda Accord and the light that lights up the clock is out. The manual gives no clue as to which fuse controls this function. When I check fuse 13 on the passenger side fuse bank, it was OK and the clock was disable while the fuse was out. Does anyone know if this is a fuse...

My clock is wrong [ 2 Answers ]

Heya, My clock on my task bar is off by a few hours... and a few years :S. How do I fix this.. It happens every so often and I don't know what the problem is :(! Do I need a new battery for it or what (lol). I'm what you call a computer newbie. Thanks.

View more questions Search