Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phildesign Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2008, 08:30 PM
    Finishing concrete floor with moisture issue
    Our home recently got wet when a storm of the century hit the region. I don't know where the water came from since I wasn't home but I believe it came from the ground.

Three months later I'm trying to finish the floors, ideally leaving the concrete exposed. Having done moisture tests it appears our basement is encountering floor failure. The calcium chloride moisture test results ended up being 3.75, 4.25 and 4.25 for the three rooms. (I'd imaging they'll be quite a bit lower in the summer)

Other than grinding down the floor, laying down an epoxy layer, covering with a thin layer of polymer concrete and then staining and sealing. Is there a different, less costly approach that might look nice and work with the moisture levels? I got quoted 10k do do the work on a 1000sf floor. Ideally I'd love to spend half of that.

Thanks for your help.
    the1unv Posts: 285, Reputation: 31

Mar 20, 2008, 02:53 PM
    How long has it been since the floor was wet ? If the storm hit 3 months ago how long did the water sit there? It can take a while for the moisture to disappear. I would suggest running a dehumidifier and waiting a couple more months. You may find the moisture level dropping by 50%. If you can get the moisture level to drop you should be able to have a 1000sf done for about $2500.00... less than 1/2 of that if you do it yourself. I did a 825sf floor for $500.00
    Mike

Mar 20, 2008, 08:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by the1unv
    How long has it been since the floor was wet ? If the storm hit 3 months ago how long did the water sit there? It can take a while for the moisture to disappear. I would suggest running a dehumidifier and waiting a couple more months. you may find the moisture level dropping by 50%. If you can get the moisture level to drop you should be able to have a 1000sf done for about $2500.00......less than 1/2 of that if you do it yourself. I did a 825sf floor for $500.00
    Mike
    Thanks for the suggestion Mike,
    It's been three months since I started to dry out the basement. The water never was really standing much; the carpet that was on top of the tiling acted as a wick but there wasn't enough water to puddle up..
    I've heard that sometimes running a dehumidifier draws moisture through the concrete and can counteract the drying. Have you heard of that before?
    the1unv Posts: 285, Reputation: 31

Mar 20, 2008, 11:28 PM
    It may draw some moisture throgh the concrete... it has to come out. I have never had an issue of drying being counteracted by a dehumidifier. You can check your moisture on your own to check drying progress. Take a 2' x 2' piece of plastic, lay it on the floor, duct tape it down tight around the edges, leave for 24 hours and check. If it is dry,, good, If it is wet under the plastic you still have moisture problem.
    Mike

Mar 23, 2008, 05:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by the1unv
    It may draw some moisture throgh the concrete........it has to come out. I have never had an issue of drying being counteracted by a dehumidifier. You can check your moisture on your own to check drying progress. Take a 2' x 2' piece of plastic, lay it on the floor, duct tape it down tight around the edges, leave for 24 hours and check. If it is dry,,,,good, If it is wet under the plastic you still have moisture problem.
    Mike
    Thanks Mike,
    Mind me asking what product you used on your floor?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concrete finishing price [ 3 Answers ]

What is the rule of thumb for concrete finishing price and do this price covers the forming and gradeing?

Floor warped & moisture in crawl space [ 3 Answers ]

I'm building a new home and I covered floor with tarps but me 3/4" tung & groove plywood still got very wet. Its been getting wet for about four weeks now and is warping .Question how can I fix floor after roof is on? I also have a lot of moisture in my crawl space because water on...

Preventing moisture and mildew from coming through a shed floor. [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am converting my shed into a place to relax. It looks as if it was previously used as a workshop. You can see the ground in certain areas of the floor. I would like to lay carpet over the floor, but need to know what I should do prior to this to prevent any moisture from coming through...

Finishing a second floor [ 1 Answers ]

I want to finish my second floor in a fairly new home. Lets start slow and see how it goes. The room ~700 square feet is now vented to the outside through a vent on the Side of the house and a hole cut in the plywood sheeting leading to a dormer with an octagonal vent. Make sense? So how do...

View more questions Search